Author Topic: Sofia Restaurant - Avoid  (Read 6260 times)

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
Sofia Restaurant - Avoid
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »
We went to the Sofia on 30th June to celebrate a significant anniversary (30th), We had seen the Rib-eye Steak advertised on the board outside which was suitable for 2 people, and the female thrower-in assured us there was plenty and we could have it cooked as we liked it, and a choice of potatoes and veg./salad.
Inside we ordered from the waiter and stated that we wanted it well done with no blood running, and the waiter said it was better done medium, we restated no blood, the juice must be running clear. Needless to say it was served still mooing, and with the wrong veg./salad (the chips were correct) we ate a small amount of the meat from the outer edge before I managed to attract the waiters attention and after he poked at it (no joke) he stated it was cooked OK, I repeated that I asked for it without blood, at which time he wandered off across the road with it to the kitchen, so we thought he was going to get it cooked for another 10 minutes, but no, he came straight back with it and said that the chief said it was cooked OK, and the red was the sauce (there was a dribble of some balsamic dressing on the side of the plate) not blood.
Needless to say after all this we asked for the bill and walked out after the Malaka took €34 off me for the privilege of eating less than a quarter of the meal and a glass of wine each.

Be warned, the customer has no chance of been right at this joint

Offline bwian

• View Profile
Re: Sofia Restaurant - Avoid
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
I'm amazed. We have had nothing but good service in Sofia.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 02:35:40 AM »
Amazed here too!
We've used Sofia many times over the past decade, and never had a bad meal or bad service. Indeed, they are always friendly and helpful.
I can only imagine that one of the waiters was having a bad day during your visit Colin and Sandra.
John - Ostraco

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »
Not too keen on the most recent incarnation/management, if I am honest. A little too enthusiastic when attracting custom and then much less enthusiastic with regard to service. I am going back, however, to the 'change-over' period and perhaps these were just teething problems.

Very surprised by the steak incident, though. This doesn't sound like Sofia, or like any other Plakias taverna. Maybe just a bad day? Suppose that we all have them.

Richard

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
Having had a very bad experience with meat at this restaurant a few years ago, I only ever eat seafood or veggie dishes here as the service otherwise is good.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 03:04:04 PM »
Very odd. We had a simply delicious chicken meal, and a splendid veggie one, the last time we were there.

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »
The girls waiting for "victims" in front of the sofia and mouses i.i.r.c. are not really an improvement. Till this year I thought this kind of customer-catching would only happen in Chania, Rethimno or Ballermann 1. First year we had not a single meal there. We have eyes to see and are able to read the cards. This, if it spreads over the whole village, may spoil the relaxed "Volta"! Lysseos and Christos were fine as ever!

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »
yeah, noticed this a lot more last night from the girl at Sofia, so we went in Mouses instead !!

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »
From past experience if someone outside is trying to coax you in, walk on. If they are any good they won't need anyone outside, you never see anyone outside Harakas.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »
...or Gio Ma, or many of my other favourites.

Agreed!

The overall lack of this kind of thing in Plakias is one of the things that really appeals to me. The recent presence of it in certain places is one of the things that makes me walk along the beach between Nufaro and Christos, instead of through the 'choke-point', or 'tourist-killing zone'.

Richard

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »
We have never eaten there purely because of the girls standing outside trying to coax you in. The same applies to the Gorgona and most of them at that location. In my opinion, if they need someone to tell you it's good, it isn't.
Είναι Ελλάδα έτσι δεν είναι

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »
We avoid these places too. It is even worse in Sfakia where now we never walk through the main street but always go round the back to the taverna The Three Brothers. I don't remember there being a problem in Paleohora or Sougia. I suppose now it has started in Plakias there will be more pressure on other tavernas to follow suit. Maybe it would help, if as we paid, we pointed out that we ate there because we were not hassled.
Stuart

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
Our reaction is to say we have already eaten----- end of !!

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »
It has never happened to us in Paleochora but Rethymno........

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »
Just eaten in Sofia. We found the female 'front of house' staff extremely helpful and not at all pushy. They offered useful advice for veggie alternatives when Karen's first choice was unavailable. I had Cretan Sausages as a starter and did have to ask them to be cooked a bit more as they were only warm in the middle. Probably ok but having had a bad experience a few years ago at Kastro, I didn't want to take a chance. Karen had grilled cheese starter. Both very tasty but we felt the portions were too large. We noticed a few other diners also looking a bit worried by the size of their starters. Main courses were good, but too salty for our palate and, I would say, saltier than we've had in other restaurants. So, the food was a bit of a let down, but it's a shame as the menu had several interesting, different dishes and the service was friendly and efficient.