login

Author Topic: VAT reduction on food  (Read 3438 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
VAT reduction on food
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »
This info might reduced taverna prices a little ?? Info picked up on another forum.

Value added tax in the Greek food service sector will be reduced from 23 percent to 13 percent starting on August 1, Prime Minister Antonis Samaras said in a televised statement on Wednesday.

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
Re: VAT reduction on food
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »
I,ll wager that it will have no effect in Plakias!

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
If my customers had been happily paying the price all summer and the VAT was reduced (but my customers didn't know 'cos they weren't Greek) I would be very tempted to boost my profit margins and leave the prices the same.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 11:07:58 PM »
An interesting move by the Greek Government as they have recently admitted that a massive number of eateries across Greece (including Crete) have paid little or no VAT for years. Perhaps this is their round about way of trying to persuade them to be more upfront in terms of coughing up (who knows ?) but I cant really see it making much of an immediate effect.....mind you, would be nice if it does !

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
This info might reduced taverna prices a little ?? Info picked up on another forum.

Value added tax in the Greek food service sector will be reduced from 23 percent to 13 percent starting on August 1, Prime Minister Antonis Samaras said in a televised statement on Wednesday.
Interesting. I suspect Jackie is right and many (most?) are not paying any VAT. As Greek tavernas follow the UK practice of not showing VAT as a separate item, it's not apparent what is going on.

It would be nice if prices did reduce but I'm not holding my breath.

Mike

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »
Quoting a bit more from the Sfakia forum (apologies for encouraging cross forum posts) it does seem that they are applying some sort of reverse logic - reduce the tax and collect more !!:-

Samaras noted that he reached the decision regarding VAT at cafes, bars and restaurants, following discussions with business groups, chambers of commerce and store owners. He did warn, however, that store owners must issue receipts because if tax evasion persisted the tax would be increased again. If the measure proved a success, however, more tax reductions could follow.

This certainly doesn't suggest a reduction of prices to the customer !!