Author Topic: Sirocco Restaurant  (Read 7465 times)

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
Sirocco Restaurant
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:56:01 PM »
Last year, the Sirocco restaurant in Plakias was taken over by a new owner.  Fanis is married to Anna's daughter Eri (from Annaview apartments in Mirthios).  Together with his brother and his sister-in-law, he is running this restaurant.  They have modernized the place and are putting lots of effort in the decoration, the quality of the food and the service.  It also attracts a fair number of Greek people (one more reason to try it, according to us).  We have eaten there a fair number of times and have never been disappointed and the bill was always at the low side.  The sunset over the Souda mountains is really wonderful.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Re: Sirocco Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »
The nicest sword fish I ate last year was at the Sirocco, bit worried now as I have read it is banned this year in Greek waters as it has been overfished. I was surprised not to see familiar faces last year and that explains why. Good luck to them, will definitely be eating at the Sirocco this year.
The all new Sirocco.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:16:18 AM by Lampyland »

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:21:14 PM »
We go along with all that has been said about the "new" Sirocco.

We were regulars since 2006 at Sirocco when Stavros and Maria ran it and always ate there a least 4 times each holiday.

To find that they and their son Babis had moved on caused us some concern about what may become of the place.

But on our return to Plakias this year we found that we had no cause to worry.

The new owners, cousins of Stavros, have made a excellent job in their takeover of the taverna and the food now is more varied than before and at least of as good in quality as before.

It is now just as good as it always was and it was good to see regulars from the Stavros era returning to eat at the tavern.

In fact, one night Stavros and Maria were there eating whist we were there.
It was really good to see them again.
They are well and living in a village just outside Plakias.

Of all the things which have changed in Plakias, the Sirocco is one which has been a great success.

We aim to return to Plakias next June and we will continue to make Sirocco one of our main eating places.

Offline Plakias Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
Hi All
After reading posts on this Forum we decided to try Sirrocco this year - quite simply we had the best meal of our holiday!  Very extensive menu and the owner re-assured me that if I tried something and I didn't like it, he would gladly replace it "No problem". We went back on our last night and again it was delicious.  Can't think why we haven't tried this before but it will be our first port of call next year, probably because like others on this Forum we have our favourites which we like to visit at least twice during our stay.
Our other favourites are Gio Ma (best beef stiffado and stunning location), Gorgonna (great food & the best waiters in Plakias - Geogio, Babis & Irenie), Muses & Harrackas.
On another note we tried Christos this year  (next to Gio Ma) and it was the worst meal we have EVER had in Plakias. Staff were not interested and did not even greet us when we arrived. My husband's meal arrived first and he had finished his before mine appeared - Klefftico - which had obviously been microwaved from the freezer and was greasy and tasteless and by comparison to other Tavernas it was quite expensive - definately one to avoid.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
Yep - with regard to Christos, the only thing I would recommend is to avoid it!

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:31:48 AM »
Right Noopsy - but I think we'll be trying Sirocco again in September
John - Ostraco

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »
Oh, the Sirocco is another matter altogether!

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »
Re comments above about Christos. We always had lunch on our first day for sentimental reasons, but I am afraid I have to agree with the comments above regarding the service. Consequently we don't bother any more.

I do not like to criticise unduly, especially as in some ways the staff in question can mot respond, but I have found some at Christos to be just plain rude, typified by the disdainful response to my efforts to try some Greek. Elsewhere, taverna staff/owners seem delighted, or at least pleasantly amused by my efforts . Just cut-off mid sentence at Christos. Happy to say that this is the only experience of this nature in Plakias and Greece.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:43:08 AM by Richard »

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 10:25:58 PM »
I am a little confused.

Is your problem with Christos or with Sirocco ?

If it is with Christos then should it be under another topic other than Sirocco Restaurant ?

From our point of view, we have never used Christos so can not comment.

But we have used Sirocco very many times ( see earlier posting on this place) and have never been disappointed with it

We look forwards to visiting them again when we return in early June.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 10:23:49 AM »
I think that my meaning wasn't immediately clear and so have added some text to clarify, Daniel.

With regard to choice of post, I was responding to similar comments above.

I do not have a 'problem' with Christos, it has just disappointed me often, so I don't eat there any more.

Sirocco was a fine taverna under the previous owners, fish in particular was good; haven't eaten there under the new management but it still looks popular. I will likely give it a try in May.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:26:11 AM by Richard »

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »
Richard;

Thank you for your comments

And I do agree that anywhere in Plakias that does disappoint should be flagged up on the board.

There are so many other places to eat in the town that the problem is that in a 2 week stay, you can not do justice to them all.

( and we will try Geo Ma in June. I shall report back)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
I hope that you enjoy Gio Ma as much as my wife and I do, and look forward to hearing of your own experience.

We will be there in just six weeks now, I will post on Sirocco as this thread has reminded me of the many pleasant evenings that we have spent there. We usually went for a bit of a seafood 'blow-out' after walking through Samaria gorge.

I certainly agree, there never seems to be time to visit all of our favourites in a fortnight and so we have largely stopped trying, I found that it was almost spoiling our holiday as we were obsessively trying to fit-in all of our favourite walks during the day and then tavernas in the evening. Mainly the reason that Sirocco dropped off the list, over the last couple of years, at least.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:30:24 PM by Richard »