Author Topic: Kastro  (Read 12128 times)

Offline greek1

• View Profile
Re: Kastro
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »
glad everyone has had a positive experience. maybe I should be on commission ! :)
 we arrive on Tuesday, can't wait !

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 11:07:01 AM »
been to Plakias many times but have never tried Kastro,so we finally decided to give it a try and walked up last night to be told it was closed as it was hosting a wedding !!! :(

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 12:55:33 PM »
Funnily enough, the kafenio was reserved for a party last night as well. Must have been a good day for weddings!

Arnaki

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 07:35:12 PM »
I have mixed feelings about Kastro. Pros: The view is great and we have had some good food there. Cons: I was once quite ill from some undercooked sausages and, when we were the only diners there, we thought the owner could have been a bit cheerier and more welcoming.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
I ate there last week.  We were the only ones there.  We sat eating, drinking and chatting for a couple of hours, and the owner was friendly and cheerful enough. We asked how business was, and he replied that he gets enough to get by but is never going to be rich. Consider yourself if you had a taverna with a marvellous view that you kept open all day, but got few tables taken in an afternoon. You'd be welcoming when visitors came, but possibly not very cheerful.

Having said that, I've been to Plakias several times, but only been to To Kastro twice, and never in the evening, so I don't know how busy it is at night.

Arnaki

Offline Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »
What's the directions to this? Never seen it. Cheers

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
Hi Billy,

It is the white and yellow circular building on the hill at the back of Plakias.  There are several routes up, all signposted. The last time I went I was given a lift from the bakery end of Plakias, and don't remember the detail.  The route from the harbour end of town is:  Go up the road beside the souvlaki house and continue up the road, squiggle round to right (or cross the open land to take off the corner) and over the stream, just by the Youth Hotel follow the road sign posted to Kastro, keep following that and then turn to the right at the next sign to Kastro.  Keep up there for a short while and Kastro is on your left. 

Well, at least I think that is it, as I haven't been that route recently.  Others will correct me if necessary.

It has a commanding view of the bay, but isn't really as far as it sounds!

Arnaki

Offline Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 12:23:23 PM »
Cheers. I week today

Offline Bill Lawrenson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
Just back from our usual two weeks in Plakias and we were delighted with the food at Kastros. The first night we had the kleftico and it was brilliant. Fresh from the oven with so much flavour. Went back a few days later and had the chicken from the oven with lemon and oregano, once again a really great dish. We can also recommend the battered  courgettes. There was a good flow of customers on both occasions and  Yannis was very friendly. Roll on next year. By the way we also tried Elia's in Sellia and that was also superb. Both really good examples of freshly prepared Cretan cooking.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 09:53:31 PM »
You've made my mouth water, Bill. We'll definitely stroll up the hill to Kastro's some time during our stay. :)

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »
 "By the way we also tried Elia's in Sellia and that was also superb. Both really good examples of freshly prepared Cretan cooking."

We also ate this year at Elia's in Sellia and it was wonderful

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)