Author Topic: Olympic v independent from Leeds Bradford 2013  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Olympic v independent from Leeds Bradford 2013
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:42:11 AM »
With all the comments via other threads about the price benefits to be had from booking a package with Olympic I checked their website earlier today re a two week holiday in September 2013 from Leeds Bradford flying on the same Jet2 flights we would normally use and here are the interesting findings.

1) Cheapest Olympic offering was staying at Dora and with the infamous transfers included for £803 for two.

2) As we always look to stay with Markos, Evi and family at Stella Studios, if we used Olympic but stayed at Stella's the cost would be £803 + say £500 = £1303.

3) To travel independently as we prefer to with a hire car for the whole two weeks from airport to airport the cost is £635 for the same Jet2 flights + £500 accommodation + say £300 car hire = £1435.

The latter is clearly the most expensive option, but we do get to stay at our much preferred accommodation in Plakias and have a car for our use every day for the two weeks as well as pleasanter transfers from and to the airport. Only £132 more than using Olympic and staying at Stella's too but with no car.

Food for thought.

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Olympic v independent from Leeds Bradford 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »
Living in Devon & not wanting to motor far to an airport we always fly from Bristol. This year must be our cheapest flights in over 12 years at £268.55 total for two to Iraklion return with Easy Jet.

Stuart

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
That sounds like one excellent deal:-) Good for you

Offline kayisi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
I fly from LBA and use Jet2 all the time but I have found that they are now getting rather expensive.  In 2013 you have a choice with Olympic from Leeds, or at least you did last time I looked.  You can either fly Jet2 or Monarch.  The holidays using Monarch are cheaper than if using Jet2 but the flight timings are worse. 

Have you priced the flights using Monarch rather than Jet2?  Might be worth looking at as from memory the package price with them was about £50 cheaper.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
We too use Jet2 quite a bit from LBA due to the convenience and they tend to be pretty reliable, although they certainly couldn't be called a budget airline.

Think we'll continue to travel independently to Plakias, as we tend to on most of our foreign trips.

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »
? if anybody interested... my wife and I have just booked two weeks, end of October. Flight Easyjet, Manchester to Hrk...£83 ret. each, Down to Plakias, Avis car, two weeks, Opel Astra £153, Thirteen Nights at Apnoea 260 euro and one night Heraklion £45 which comes out at £290each....think that isreasonable for two weeks

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
It might be for the end of October, but that still sounds like one brilliant deal for an independent trip. We used to head to Plakias for the October halfterm week due to Sue's teaching commitments and the weather was usually pretty good. We can now go earlier, but how the cost rises:-)

BTW Avis provide quality cars, but aren't normally known for cheap prices. If you don't mind me asking, does that great price you quote include full insurance and excess waiver cover?

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
no...excess ect. would be a further£20.....the deal is through Autoeurope

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »
Still sounds like a very good deal.

Offline kayisi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:27 AM »
Anyone thinking of Plakias from Leeds Bradford for 2013 should be aware that Monarch as well as Jet2 are flying the route next year and that, when I looked some weeks ago, they were quite a bit cheaper than Jet2 in the Olympic brochure.

We are going to have a look at Sitea and Palekastro in May and Monarch worked out at over £100 each cheaper than Jet2 for the flights.  So much for Jet2's "friendly low fares" tag!

I know it is the wrong forum but has anyone stayed in Sitea or Palekastro.  Any pointers would be most welcome.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
Living in Devon & not wanting to motor far to an airport we always fly from Bristol. This year must be our cheapest flights in over 12 years at £268.55 total for two to Iraklion return with Easy Jet.

Stuart

That is what we are paying with Easyjet from Manchester in early spring 2013.

John