Author Topic: Dora information needed.  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Dora information needed.
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:20:23 AM »
Hello. We have booked at the Dora for end of June/ beginning of July. My Wife wants air con and a bit of a view. Which are the best rooms to book? Do the upper and larger rooms have air con and a better view? We have read that some look out on a concrete wall as a large house is now blocking. Thank you for any help.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Dora information needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »
Hello. We have booked at the Dora for end of June/ beginning of July. My Wife wants air con and a bit of a view. Which are the best rooms to book? Do the upper and larger rooms have air con and a better view? We have read that some look out on a concrete wall as a large house is now blocking. Thank you for any help.
The downstairs rooms are the studios (6 of them, although last year one was occupied for the season by the girl employed by Dora to do the room servicing) and the upstairs are the one bedroom apartments (4).

Some of the ones pointing roughly east have quite decent views towards Timeos Stavros  and those facing approximately south overlook the unfinished (for many years?) building. I have had both and although I obviously prefer the former it didn't in any way spoil my holiday that I didn't get one of them. It is the luck of the draw and depends which are being vacated on the day of your arrival.

As at least one member of this forum has booked Dora with Olympic and intends to stay elsewhere, you may be able to change if your visit coincides with one of these people. See an earlier thread.

I'm not too sure about air con as I only go early or late but I thought they all had it (€5 per day).

Mike
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:44:13 PM by Mike G »

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »
The downstairs rooms are the studios (6 of them, although last year one was occupied for the season by the girl employed by Dora to do the room servicing) and the upstairs are the one bedroom apartments (4).

Some of the ones pointing roughly east have quite decent views towards Timeos Stavros  and those facing approximately south overlook the unfinished (for many years?) building. I have had both and although I obviously prefer the former it didn't in any way spoil my holiday that I didn't get one of them. It is the luck of the draw and depends which are being vacated on the day of your arrival.

As at least one member of this forum has booked Dora with Olympic and intends to stay elsewhere, you may be able to change if your visit coincides with one of these people. See an earlier thread.

I'm not too sure about air con as I only go early or late but I thought they all had it (€5 per day).

Mike
Thank you Mike.  May give Dora a call as we have her phone number, but probably a bit closer to our Holiday. Other half wants to give me a good holiday with a better view. Last year we looked over the bins and a building site. This year holiday coincides with my Birthday and I am having a lot of treatment for the big C. Personally I think we only use the place to sleep in and I may like to sit out whilst She gets ready (could be a long wait).  Many thanks again for the information. John.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »
John,

I think it is the Olympic rep. that allocates the rooms, not Dora.

Mike

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Dora information needed.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »
Will have to get in Touch with Sian somehow. Perhaps once the season starts. Hope She is the Rep for this season  Thank you.

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »

We stayed there a few years ago, and if its views you are after then you will be dissapointed.
The rooms were very basic, but clean. We had one of the ground floor rooms which did look out on the unfinished multi story property next door.
If I remember correctly, there was no aircon, but they may have added it since we stayed.
As a base only we found it OK, but we only stayed there once, the following 2 visits we were in Flisvos, (looking out over the bay) and then in the Irida, (which had garden views).

Wherever you stay though, Plakias is an unforgettable experience.

Peter&Dawn

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 11:24:55 PM »
Hello Peter and Dawn.

I am staying at the Irida in September - first time to Plakias. I haven't found many photo's of the views from the balconies but I am imagining the top floor would be best.

Could you tell me what the view is like and if the road noise is too intrusive - there has been mixed reports regarding this.

Also which room numbers are furthest away from the road and top floor - I am hoping to email the owners with a request nearer the time.

Many thanks
Nora x

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Dora information needed.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 12:45:11 AM »

We stayed there a few years ago, and if its views you are after then you will be dissapointed.
The rooms were very basic, but clean. We had one of the ground floor rooms which did look out on the unfinished multi story property next door.
If I remember correctly, there was no aircon, but they may have added it since we stayed.
As a base only we found it OK, but we only stayed there once, the following 2 visits we were in Flisvos, (looking out over the bay) and then in the Irida, (which had garden views).

Wherever you stay though, Plakias is an unforgettable experience.

Peter&Dawn
Thank you :-). We are used to basic in Greece. Quiet and clean are my main criteria. I was told that the upper rooms had air con. Then been told all have air con and now am confused.com. Looked at the Irida but it was close to the road and beyond my budget this year. I am not after the best view in the world as I get them at other places we have stayed at but do not mind looking over buildings to a view.  My Other half stayed at the KC in Plakias last September. She said the owners and Barman were lovely but it was a bit noisy for her. I have not visited in 35 years! I lived on Crete for many years in my youth. Normally visit Folegandros, Symi, Chios, Lesvos, Evia, Kefalonia ( Paliki peninsular), Ithaca and Lipsi. I so wanted to return to Crete and Plakias was beyond doubt the only choice. It also gives me a chance to visit my Fathers village of Lappa. Pretty excited about seeing Plakias after so many years. This forum is amazing and seems to have a great community of regulars.

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 08:14:52 AM »
I hope you have a lovely time John -I'll keep my fingers crossed you get a room with a view.

Why not try a special request for an east facing  top floor room with Olympic?
best wishes
Nora x

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 09:12:46 AM »
Hello Peter and Dawn.

I am staying at the Irida in September - first time to Plakias. I haven't found many photo's of the views from the balconies but I am imagining the top floor would be best.

Could you tell me what the view is like and if the road noise is too intrusive - there has been mixed reports regarding this.

Also which room numbers are furthest away from the road and top floor - I am hoping to email the owners with a request nearer the time.

Many thanks
Nora x

Hi Nora,
We had a ground floor room, not sure how many rooms Olympic have at the Irida. The view was over the garden, but looking right from the balcony we could see the hills behind Plakias, looking left we could see the pool.
As for noise, you could hear the odd motor bike charging up the road, but they could be heard everywhere in Plakias, but on the whole noise was not a problem. We did not loose any sleep because of it.
We enjoyed our stay at the Irida, and if we weren't in Australia we would be back there again this year.
We hope you have a great time.
Peter&Dawn

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »
Sounds just the ticket! Many thanks Peter and Dawn - hope you are both enjoying your new life in Oz
best wishes
Nora x

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:22:03 AM »
Nora,
I also stayed at the Irida in august 2010 and was impressed with the views. I was on the first floor in a room facing Plakias and the view was very good and being first floor it makes the balcony more private. I contacted the Olympic rep and asked him for a first floor room and he had no problem with this at all. It's just a short 'stroll' into Plakias and is well lit at night.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline sian033

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »
Hey,

With regard to Dora Studios...

All studios for 2 are downstairs, and as of last season did not have air con, studios for 2/3 are all upstairs and do have air con, in 2011 it was 5 euros per night. Rooms 1- 3 upstairs have the best view, you can request rooms via Olympic, but they are never guaranteed. Depends on other arrivals and availability,

Hope that helps :)

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »
I contacted the Olympic rep and asked him for a first floor room and he had no problem with this at all. It's just a short 'stroll' into Plakias and is well lit at night

Barny.

Hi Barney,
How did you manage to get the reps contact details? I was thinking of emailing  the Irida direct - but not sure who allocates the rooms
best wishes
Nora

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 08:00:27 AM »
Nora,
Check your messages.

Barny.