login

Author Topic: Voluntary Subscription Available  (Read 17560 times)

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 717
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« on: July 01, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »
I'm sure you all agree that we have a great community of people here.

The site pretty much runs itself and requires little or no intervention from myself or John.
I occasionally add new features and upgrade the site when possible because I enjoy doing this and love to see the forums flourish.

As many of you are aware we have had to upgrade our site hosting due to the forums popularity. Some members have kindly offered financial support to assist in the costs associated in hosting the forum.

To this end I have added a subscription package to the forum. It is obviously completely voluntary and can be accessed by going to 'my controls' link near the top of the page. Then you can select 'Purchase Paid Subscriptions' on the left hand menu.

I have put the cost at 5 and purchasing this will make you a forum 'Sponsor'. As a thankyou you will have a few added bonuses. Your upload limit will be increased from 2MB to 20MB. You will be able to have 500 Personal Messages stored instead of 100 and you can also upload a bigger picture for your personal photo.

Currently you can only pay by PayPal, if you would like to use some other method please let me know. Also let me know if you would like to remain anonymous and we can sort something out.

I'll reiterate that this is completely voluntary and nothing else has changed on the forum at all.

If you have any suggestions i'd be pleased to hear them.

Also feel free to ply me with Mythos in September  Always appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Paul

Offline Barny

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 841
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
I'm sure you all agree that we have a great community of people here.

The site pretty much runs itself and requires little or no intervention from myself or John.
I occasionally add new features and upgrade the site when possible because I enjoy doing this and love to see the forums flourish.

As many of you are aware we have had to upgrade our site hosting due to the forums popularity. Some members have kindly offered financial support to assist in the costs associated in hosting the forum.

To this end I have added a subscription package to the forum. It is obviously completely voluntary and can be accessed by going to 'my controls' link near the top of the page. Then you can select 'Purchase Paid Subscriptions' on the left hand menu.

I have put the cost at 5 and purchasing this will make you a forum 'Sponsor'. As a thankyou you will have a few added bonuses. Your upload limit will be increased from 2MB to 20MB. You will be able to have 500 Personal Messages stored instead of 100 and you can also upload a bigger picture for your personal photo.

Currently you can only pay by PayPal, if you would like to use some other method please let me know. Also let me know if you would like to remain anonymous and we can sort something out.

I'll reiterate that this is completely voluntary and nothing else has changed on the forum at all.

If you have any suggestions i'd be pleased to hear them.

Also feel free to ply me with Mythos in September  Always appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Paul

No i just subscribed so you can ply me with Mythos!!?
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline John R

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 862
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 08:10:10 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
To this end I have added a subscription package to the forum. It is obviously completely voluntary and can be accessed by going to 'my controls' link near the top of the page. Then you can select 'Purchase Paid Subscriptions' on the left hand menu.

I have put the cost at 5 and purchasing this will make you a forum 'Sponsor'. As a thankyou you will have a few added bonuses. Your upload limit will be increased from 2MB to 20MB. You will be able to have 500 Personal Messages stored instead of 100 and you can also upload a bigger picture for your personal photo.


Also feel free to ply me with Mythos in September  Always appreciated!

Well done indeed. Five pounds per year is a trivial sum for what Plakias lovers obtain from this forum. I would be pleased if you could arrange that we could give more than that (I was thwarted when I tried to do a second run through the system after my successful first run)

As a September visitor, Mythos for Ploppy (and I forget what it was that his better half drank) is guaranteed.

As someone said recently, this forum is like a comfort blanket. A very good description and well worth paying for. Paul - your efforts are truly appreciated by a very large number of people.

John R

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 717
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »
Quote from: John R
Well done indeed. Five pounds per year is a trivial sum for what Plakias lovers obtain from this forum. I would be pleased if you could arrange that we could give more than that (I was thwarted when I tried to do a second run through the system after my successful first run)

As a September visitor, Mythos for Ploppy (and I forget what it was that his better half drank) is guaranteed.

As someone said recently, this forum is like a comfort blanket. A very good description and well worth paying for. Paul - your efforts are truly appreciated by a very large number of people.

John R
John,

Thanks for your kind words and thanks also to other members who have sponsored the site, much appreciated  

Look forward to seeing you in September. Margheritas tipple at the Livikon was a Sambuca I believe  

Regards,

Paul

P.S It really isn't necessary to donate more money. If you desperately want to then PM me and we can organise something through PayPal.

Offline Mike G

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 789
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »
Hello Paul,

I've subscribed, being one of the most regular users of this forum.

A couple of points. Firstly, I'm very careful about giving out my phone number, having managed to stop most "junk" calls and not wanting to reverse this, so wasn't happy about a number having to be added. Secondly, will we be reminded when our year is up and we need to pay again?

Keep up the good work and I hope you get the 24 you need to break even on the $240 pa I think you said it was costing Ostraco.  

Mike

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 717
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 02:50:18 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Hello Paul,

I've subscribed, being one of the most regular users of this forum.

A couple of points. Firstly, I'm very careful about giving out my phone number, having managed to stop most "junk" calls and not wanting to reverse this, so wasn't happy about a number having to be added. Secondly, will we be reminded when our year is up and we need to pay again?

Keep up the good work and I hope you get the 24 you need to break even on the $240 pa I think you said it was costing Ostraco.  

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thankyou for the subscription  

Where did you have to enter a number? I imagine that this is a PayPal requirement.
You don't have to use this method. If anyone wants to send a cheque or do a bank transfer then we can do that too.

I imagine the system will send out reminders, we'll find out next year!

I don't imagine that we will completely cover the costs but that is not the aim, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline George

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1375
    • View Profile
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 03:52:30 PM »
It was 'PayPal' Paul, but I don't remember the field as being compulsary.

george g...

Offline harribobs

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1830
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 12:11:44 AM »
paypal is very secure, don't worry too much about their security but ALWAYS make sure any email purporting to be from them, is from them.  

Offline Mike G

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 789
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 01:39:47 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
Where did you have to enter a number? I imagine that this is a PayPal requirement.
You don't have to use this method. If anyone wants to send a cheque or do a bank transfer then we can do that too.

Thanks,

Paul
Hello Paul,

It was a PayPal requirement- you couldn't leave the field blank.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 761
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 03:15:22 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Quote from: Ploppy
Where did you have to enter a number? I imagine that this is a PayPal requirement.
You don't have to use this method. If anyone wants to send a cheque or do a bank transfer then we can do that too.

Thanks,

Paul
Hello Paul,

It was a PayPal requirement- you couldn't leave the field blank.

Mike
I was looking at my own Paypal settings and I see there is an option to require a contact telephone number when requesting payments.

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 717
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 04:15:12 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
I was looking at my own Paypal settings and I see there is an option to require a contact telephone number when requesting payments.

Yes there is and my settings are to not ask for/require it. However the forum software must be over-riding this even though it is using my PayPal account.

I'll see if there is anything I can do.

Offline George

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1375
    • View Profile
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 10:40:11 AM »
Just had a look at the sponser list and it's nice to see that it's building, if but a bit slowly.
Come on guys, it's worth every penny, considering that it's going to keep you going over the winter months, and until you return next time.

george g...

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 717
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 09:46:02 AM »
I would just like to add my thanks to our 15 'sponsors', much appreciated.

Will see some of you over the coming 2 weeks. 11 hours and counting  

Quote from: George
Just had a look at the sponser list and it's nice to see that it's building, if but a bit slowly.
Come on guys, it's worth every penny, considering that it's going to keep you going over the winter months, and until you return next time.

george g...

Offline Mike G

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 789
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
I would just like to add my thanks to our 15 'sponsors', much appreciated.
To be honest I thought 15 was a disappointing response from a forum of this size. Those who use the forum a lot and, like me, get much enjoyment from it shouldn't expect Ostraco and Ploppy to subsidise it. It is only 5 pa.

Mike

Offline jenny

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 44
    • View Profile
Voluntary Subscription Available
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 10:26:18 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Quote from: Ploppy
I would just like to add my thanks to our 15 'sponsors', much appreciated.
To be honest I thought 15 was a disappointing response from a forum of this size. Those who use the forum a lot and, like me, get much enjoyment from it shouldn't expect Ostraco and Ploppy to subsidise it. It is only 5 pa.

Mike

Well I don't know why but I have only just noticed this thread, although I had noticed the Leg End "Sponsor" appearing here and there and had casually wondered why, LOL

There could well be others whom it has completely passed by - perhaps it would be worth someone (eg Carruthers LOL) - BOING-ing it on a fairly regular basis?
Jenny

Naturist and Hell's Grandma