login

Author Topic: Ryan Air  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Ryan Air
« on: April 18, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »
I know people may have mixed views of Ryanair, but we've found them OK in the past. If only they flew to Crete. Just sorting out a trip to northern Italy next month and I'm inundated with offers of 1p + taxes each way daytime flights with Ryanair from Doncaster to Pisa and back. Total cost for two return flights incl. all taxes less than £50! Can cope with an extra £5 each way per hold bag if required.

How can you fly to Italy and back for £25 all in? The travel world does seem to have gone mad in some respects, not that we're complaining.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Ryan Air
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:18:52 PM »
Quote from: G&S
I know people may have mixed views of Ryanair, but we've found them OK in the past. If only they flew to Crete. Just sorting out a trip to northern Italy next month and I'm inundated with offers of 1p + taxes each way daytime flights with Ryanair from Doncaster to Pisa and back. Total cost for two return flights incl. all taxes less than £50! Can cope with an extra £5 each way per hold bag if required.

How can you fly to Italy and back for £25 all in? The travel world does seem to have gone mad in some respects, not that we're complaining.

I've spent a lot of time buzzing around on both Ryanair and Easyjet since our last visit to Plakias and would have gone by train all things being equal (flown to London and Bristol a few times) but the flights were always cheaper than the train !!!!

John R

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ryan Air
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »
Quote from: John R

I've spent a lot of time buzzing around on both Ryanair and Easyjet since our last visit to Plakias and would have gone by train all things being equal (flown to London and Bristol a few times) but the flights were always cheaper than the train !!!!

John R

Not if Call Me Dave gets into power!

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ryan Air
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 09:54:44 AM »

John R
If you believe all the man-made global warming stuff then rail is more eco friendly than flying and, maybe surprisingly, I have made some price comparisions recently (UK destinations) and found that there are some really cheap rail tickets out there (see trainline.co.uk) if you book early and are willing to accept non flexible tickets. Often these tickets are singles. Another factor is that trains usually go to town centres whereas Ryanair etc can land you 50 miles or so from the town you want to be in.

Some of the fares quoted in an earlier posting re. Ryanair and Italy would be mighty attractive if they went to Plakias and might convince even me to book independently. I could then experience the high standards you have described at Stella, John.

Mike

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ryan Air
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 01:13:49 PM »

John R

I know that it can be cheaper to fly than go by train. This prompts the question: why? Surely it is a lot better on the environment to go by train, and therefore there ought to be incentives for people to use the train. It might get more people off the roads as well.

Greecemad

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ryan Air
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 02:32:08 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
I know that it can be cheaper to fly than go by train. This prompts the question: why? Surely it is a lot better on the environment to go by train, and therefore there ought to be incentives for people to use the train. It might get more people off the roads as well.

Greecemad

You would think so, but reality is quite the opposite.

The Government as part of its “green drive” has been squeezing the motorists. This has resulted in a considerable increase in rail passengers, to the point where there is severe overcrowding. To solve the overcrowding, trains are being priced to levels which are a disincentive to rail travel. Then, instead of introducing a tax per aircraft flight, to encourage airlines to cut out poorly filled flights and so move the same number of passengers for less fuel consumption, our great Chancellor raises a per passenger tax and calls it green. Then, he doesn’t correct his mistake, but doubles the per passenger tax.

They call it joined up government.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ryan Air
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 09:47:02 AM »
Quote from: Mike from Sussex
You would think so, but reality is quite the opposite.

The Government as part of its “green drive” has been squeezing the motorists. This has resulted in a considerable increase in rail passengers, to the point where there is severe overcrowding. To solve the overcrowding, trains are being priced to levels which are a disincentive to rail travel. Then, instead of introducing a tax per aircraft flight, to encourage airlines to cut out poorly filled flights and so move the same number of passengers for less fuel consumption, our great Chancellor raises a per passenger tax and calls it green. Then, he doesn’t correct his mistake, but doubles the per passenger tax.

They call it joined up government.
It is a fact that with an expanding economy and expanding population, car, train, and plane usage are all increasing significantly.

Mike

Offline Cat

• View Profile
Ryan Air
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 11:30:55 AM »

I know its crazy isn't it. I'm a very nervous flyer so I worry that with prices that low, the plane might not be up to much!   Although Ryanair don't fly to Crete you can still get some fairly cheap flight prices. Go on to http://www.travelsupermarket.com/travelmer....aspx?package=4 and look on there.