Author Topic: Plakias  (Read 18806 times)

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Plakias
« on: February 24, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
Plakias is the way it is because of where it is, a fair distance from both airports.

There are similar sized resorts with similar beaches much nearer to both Heraklion and Chania and they have developed faster and in different ways from Plakias.
Lots of people choose their holidays based on cost as the most important factor.
So the resorts nearer to the airports (and therefore cheaper) get those holidaymakers and develop accordingly.

If you don't mind the crowds, the burger bars, the noisy discos and the obnoxious drunks, go to one of the 'popular' north coast resorts.

People who like Plakias are prepared to pay the price of the extra travelling time from the airport.
John Page

Offline Steve Jones

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 09:35:15 PM »
Quote from: compage
Plakias is the way it is because of where it is, a fair distance from both airports.-TRUE

Lots of people choose their holidays based on cost as the most important factor-NOT EVERYONE THOUGH-QUALITY VERSUS QUANTITY ALSO MATTERS

So the resorts nearer to the airports (and therefore cheaper) get those holidaymakers and develop accordingly-HAVING CHUCKLED OUR WAY THROUGH THE TV PROGRAMME 'BENIDORM', WE TOO NOW REALISE WHAT WE ARE 'MISSING OUT' ON!

If you don't mind the crowds, the burger bars, the noisy discos and the obnoxious drunks, go to one of the 'popular' north coast resorts-IF WE DID THIS WE MIGHT AS WELL GO TO SPAIN-THE FLIGHTS ARE EVEN CHEAPER!.

People who like Plakias are prepared to pay the price of the extra travelling time from the airport-THE £110 TAXI FARE RETURN EXTRA IS WORTH PAYING TO STAY IN A PEACEFUL PLACE,  WHICH IS NOT OVERCROWDED EVEN AT THE HEIGHT OF THE SEASON!

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:33:18 AM »
Quote from: compage
Plakias is the way it is because of where it is, a fair distance from both airports.

There are similar sized resorts with similar beaches much nearer to both Heraklion and Chania and they have developed faster and in different ways from Plakias.
Lots of people choose their holidays based on cost as the most important factor.
So the resorts nearer to the airports (and therefore cheaper) get those holidaymakers and develop accordingly.

If you don't mind the crowds, the burger bars, the noisy discos and the obnoxious drunks, go to one of the 'popular' north coast resorts.

People who like Plakias are prepared to pay the price of the extra travelling time from the airport.
Hello John,

When I first read your E-Mail I thought that it wasn't true about Plakias being the way it is because of its distance from the airports and greater cost. However, I had a look at the Cretan properties offered by Olympic and Kosmar and it is true that the resorts furthest from the airports (Plakias and Paleohora were the examples I looked at) were a bit more expensive than those nearer, both at the times I tend to go (May) and high season. It wasn't a huge difference though (up to 10%) and there were discrepancies.

I would be interested to know from someone well versed in the social history of Greece why different resorts have evolved so differently and I don't have a particular theory myself. Indeed some islands such as Kos, Zakynthos and Corfu are relatively small so none of their resorts involves a lengthy and expensive transfer. However, they have widely varying resort types. Compare Kardamena and Tingaki on Kos, Kavos and Agios Georgious (often referred to St George South) on Corfu and Laganas and Vassilikos on Zakynthos.

Clearly main stream tour operators believe that price is the main consideration. One of the reasons First Choice pulled out of Plakias may have been that their offerings were so cheap that they couldn't make a profit and that they believed the market wouldn't bear a price increase. However, Olympic, offering the same Kostas Chrysoulla for 5-10% more, presumably can.

Anyway, I'm glad that Greece does have such a wide diversity of resorts because there is no way I would ever go to the likes of Malia or Faliraki. Plakias is changing, but so far none of the changes has made it significantly less attractive to me and I hope that some of the things flagged up on this Forum for the future won't change that any time soon.

Mike

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:18:38 AM »
Hey Mike,

Don't dismiss the Malias and Falirakis of this world out of hand.  Malia has the third largest Minoan palace, an excellent beach and out of season is full of wrinklies rather than the 18-30 crowd.  Faliraki has an official nudist beach in a sheltered cove with marginally better facilities than Plakias' far end.  Mind you I can't dispute that Plakias is the better choice in high season.

See http://greeklandscapes.com/greece/crete/malia.html and http://www.faliraki-info.com/faliraki-map.htm

Allan

Offline jenny

• View Profile
Plakias
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 07:52:43 PM »
Faliraki has an official nudist beach in a sheltered cove with marginally better facilities than Plakias' far end.  Mind you I can't dispute that Plakias is the better choice in high season.

Well we are official nudists LOL so of course have been to the beach at Faliraki, complete with gays cavorting openly at one end and elderly Greek men sitting on a rock about 2 ft away from us jacking off, also openly - at the other.  Delightful.  We had only to arrive for the men to appear, emerging suddenly like meerkats.  Whilst I have absolutely nothing against either gays or, in fact, cavorting - it's the 'openly' I object to, very strongly, by anybody of any sexual persuasion whatever.

Whilst we were there last Autumn we had a slight query on more than one occasion as to whether a certain couple way up by the dunes at Plakias were having a bit of a cavort - but if they were, they were extremely discreet about it, and that's fine by me. (Couldn't really be sure, even when Pete accidentally ahem checked with my little binoculars, damn)

You may not be surprised to discover that whereas we have absolutely no plans to re-visit Crete (which - don't get me wrong - is a lovely island - as long as you are not beach nudists!!) we certainly intend to re-visit Plakias as often as the fancy takes us.

So there!

Jenny
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:54:29 PM by jenny »
Jenny

Naturist and Hell's Grandma

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 10:14:19 PM »
Quote from: jenny
You may not be surprised to discover that whereas we have absolutely no plans to re-visit Crete (which - don't get me wrong - is a lovely island - as long as you are not beach nudists!!) we certainly intend to re-visit Plakias as often as the fancy takes us.

So there!

Jenny

Plakias is in Crete: how can you revisit one without revisiting the other?  And why is Crete not good if you are a nudist?
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:42:23 PM »
Noops

i suspect Jenny meant to type Rhodes! I have been once, thank you and that was enough

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 10:46:38 PM »
Thanks harribobs.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:40:12 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
Noops

I have been once, thank you and that was enough

I've been to Rhodes more times than I've been to Crete, we used to use it (before we found Crete) as a quicky holiday early in the season, and stayed in Haraki, as has been mentioned on the board somewhere else.

I've still got a soft spot for Rhodes, but as you said Chris there is no comparison between the two, but my preference now is Crete hands down.

I've done a lot of the Islands, and nothing, in my opinion even comes close to this place, it never ceases to amaze me.

And for getting your bum done, the far end at Plakias has all the requirements, by far!!  
And no pervs., well none that I've noticed.  

george g...

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 09:37:15 AM »
Quote from: George
Quote from: harribobs
Noops

I have been once, thank you and that was enough

I've been to Rhodes more times than I've been to Crete, we used to use it (before we found Crete) as a quicky holiday early in the season, and stayed in Haraki, as has been mentioned on the board somewhere else.

I've still got a soft spot for Rhodes, but as you said Chris there is no comparison between the two, but my preference now is Crete hands down.

I've done a lot of the Islands, and nothing, in my opinion even comes close to this place, it never ceases to amaze me.

And for getting your bum done, the far end at Plakias has all the requirements, by far!!  
And no pervs., well none that I've noticed.  

george g...

I think that Jenny had a poor experience in Rhodes.  When I visited in May two years ago, the main Faliraki naturist beach was occupied by the usual mix of British, German and Scandanavian couples, the beach was patrolled by council officials, the loos were cleaned regularly and there was a small taverna for snacks and drinks.  We saw no signs of objectionable behaviour.

I have spent many a happy hour on Plakias' far end and of course the village is an amazing place to spend a relaxing and refreshing break.  But let's be realistic, there are naturist beaches that are nearer to home, more extensive and better equipped.  My particular favourite is Vera Playa in Spain's Almeria Province - a mile long stretch of fine sand and safe bathing which absorbs literally hundreds of like minded couples and families without feeling crowded.  Better still it is only 2 hours flying time with budget airlines, there are loads of really high class self catering apartments available at very reasonable prices out of season and they don't get the Meltemi!

So look for me on Plakias' far end in the Summer but you are more likely to find me at Vera for our month-long early spring break.

Allan

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 09:57:33 AM »
I don't think anyone on this site is as tunnel visioned as to say that Plakias is the best place for everyone, and I personnally would not acually recommend Plakias/Crete to anyone unless I had a really good idea that they might like it (Pete and Dawn for example).

There was a young girl in the office once and she asked my advice for what she wanted and I sent her to Malia. She almost got run over running across the road to thank me when she got back, she loved it  .

I think Benidorm has been mentioned lately, and probably everyone has their opinions about it, but for some it's the perfect place and good for them.

Everyone to their own!  

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 10:17:31 AM »
A few comments on this thread.

1. I have experienced the sort of unpleasant behaviour Jenny describes and am happy to say that Plakias doesn't seem to attract these types. I think extensive dunes seem to bring out the worst aspects.

2. I was interested in Allan Barham's comment about Vera Playa and would be interested to hear from him whether the weather is as good in Spring as it usually is in Plakias. My perception is that for early and late season holidays the eastern end of the Med. is more reliable than the western.

3. The meltemi is mainly a summer wind and you are less likely to be affected by it early and late in the season.

4. If Allan is suggesting that the standards of self catering accommodation are lower in Greece than many other places in the Med I would probably agree. Greek property owners will ignore this at their peril.

5. Like George, I too enjoyed Haraki (Rhodes)- it just lacks a decent beach otherwise I would return.

6. I agree that nowhere betters Plakias but Paleohora (SW Crete) and Petra (Lesvos) come mighty close.

7. Finally, it is as well that everyone has different requirements and expectations for their holidays otherwise Plakias would be overwhelmed. I just hope the developements which are happening don't spoil it.

Mike

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 08:51:38 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
2. I was interested in Allan Barham's comment about Vera Playa and would be interested to hear from him whether the weather is as good in Spring as it usually is in Plakias. My perception is that for early and late season holidays the eastern end of the Med. is more reliable than the western.
Mike

Had a quick look at the Vera Playa website: didn't like what I saw.  Beach is stony in places, sea conditions vary enormously: dead calm first thing in the morning, and getting rougher as the day wears on to the extent that swiming can sometimes be "inadvisable".  

No, give me the far end at Plakias any day.  
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 09:41:12 AM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500
Quote from: Mike G

Mike

Had a quick look at the Vera Playa website: didn't like what I saw.  Beach is stony in places, sea conditions vary enormously: dead calm first thing in the morning, and getting rougher as the day wears on to the extent that swiming can sometimes be "inadvisable".  

No, give me the far end at Plakias any day.  

As far as the weather is concerned have a look at http://www.veraplaya.info/whentovisit.html#weatherstats

The beach is a mile long and some parts are shingly but the vast majority is sandy.  The sea always seems calmer in the morning than in the afternoon but then it can be in Plakias too.  The beach is well managed - cleaned each day with loos and lifeguards in the season.  There are a number of apartment complexes, some naturist and some textile and many offer heated or indoor pools when the weather is cooler.  The big attraction for visiting in Winter, Spring and Autumn is the standard of apartments there.  There are so many available that owners fall over themselves to rent out of season at prices that can barely cover overheads.  We had a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment complete with comfortable lounge seating, satellite TV, DVD player, dining room, full kitchen with dishwasher and even a private rooftop terrace for 28 days in January for the princely sum of £500 which included electricity, space heating and private secure car parking.  Given that shoppuing in Mercadona, Consum. Intermarche and Lidl is about 30% cheaper than Tesco or Sainsbury here, we can't really afford not to spend the coldest months in Spain.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 01:59:06 PM »
Quote from: Allan Barham
http://www.veraplaya.info/whentovisit.html#weatherstats

The beach is a mile long and some parts are shingly but the vast majority is sandy.  The sea always seems calmer in the morning than in the afternoon but then it can be in Plakias too.  The beach is well managed - cleaned each day with loos and lifeguards in the season.  There are a number of apartment complexes, some naturist and some textile and many offer heated or indoor pools when the weather is cooler.  The big attraction for visiting in Winter, Spring and Autumn is the standard of apartments there.  There are so many available that owners fall over themselves to rent out of season at prices that can barely cover overheads.  We had a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment complete with comfortable lounge seating, satellite TV, DVD player, dining room, full kitchen with dishwasher and even a private rooftop terrace for 28 days in January for the princely sum of £500 which included electricity, space heating and private secure car parking.  Given that shoppuing in Mercadona, Consum. Intermarche and Lidl is about 30% cheaper than Tesco or Sainsbury here, we can't really afford not to spend the coldest months in Spain.

The weather data certainly surprised me but they seem to have been taken by a reliable meteorologist. The small number of days of rainfall in a year is particularly surprising as is the fact that the Vera Playa website quotes somewhat lower temperatures.

It is true that the sea at the far end of Plakias beach can get roughish in the afternoon.

With a few exceptions food in most Greek supermarkets is more expensive than at Tesco's.

I think the standards of self catering accommodation in much of Greece are lower than elsewhere and the Greeks need to be aware of this.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:02:04 PM by Mike G »