Author Topic: This forum is commin' like a ghost town  (Read 6768 times)

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
This forum is commin' like a ghost town
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »
Much as I am unaccustomed to public speaking - this forum has gone very quiet indeed.

I am an avid Plakias lover but am unfortunately not visiting this year - BUT I do like to keep up to date with whats happening there and reading holidaymakers views,reviews and experiences in Plakias (and surrounding areas) with a view to returning again (IF Olympic reintroduce the transfers. That or maybe winning a few bob on the lottery!).
Heading for Arillas in Corfu this Autumn (cos its so much cheaper).

CQ, CQ - Is anybody out there?

I haven't forgotten Plakias by a long chalk and "hope" someone is out there and has some good news/reviews to add.

I'll be back! (but only if I know its still as wonderful as it ever was).

Daza

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: This forum is commin' like a ghost town
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
Hi Daza,
              I suspect loads of people read the postings, but have little to say in return, a bit like me,. Unless someone asks a specific question that I can help with, I, too, stay quiet!
   This may make you jealous, but I will be able to give you a report on Plakias when we get back from there. We are going, yet again to Kostas, same room, in October, 10 days, with Olympic, and using Zacharias for the taxi. I would be interested to hear what you think of Arillas as I often like to take a last minute cheapy to Greece, and need other choices than Plakias, Lesvos and around Kalamata, but that are still small and unspoilt, is there anywhere left like that?
Sorry we won't see you in Plakias this year, enjoy Arillas, and we may yet meet again next year, somewhere in Greece.

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »
I know. I check it every day. It used to be such a lively forum. I joined almost from the beginning,  12th on the list. We were there last September  but sadly not going this year. I love to hear the updates, too,

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:20:44 AM »
I was thinking that too........not even much about the recent visit of the shark !

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 08:03:51 PM »
Hi Daza,

I look at this forum regularly and have been disappointed at how quite is has become.  I'll see what I can do to contribute whilst we are in Plakias in September.  Enjoy Arillas.  I've sent you a PM.

Arnaki

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 09:10:50 PM »
We are also back in Plakias from September 11th staying with George at Creta Mare.
I will report back on the town and our holiday.
It would be a shame to see the demise of this board.
Is it's lack of postings reflected in the  fact that Plakias is no longer as popular with U.K. visitors recently ?
We have found that over the last few years there have been fewer and fewer British holiday makers.
And a lot of regular " faces" are no longer to be seen about the town and in tavernas.

Offline TonyH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »
I guess we are much the same, I regularly check the forum for news and was wondering why it was so quiet. We missed our Plakias "fix" last year due to a long 3 week tour around Italy.  But, we are back this September for a couple of weeks.  Looking forward to seeing the changes and enjoying seeing our old friends. Plakias has still "got it" as far as we are concerned.  Hope everyone continues to enjoy it.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 01:40:00 AM »
I guess people are using trip advisor and the plakias Facebook page more now?

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »
I normally go to Plakias every August and have done for the last 29 years but unfortunately I was unable to make it this August. I decided to have a week in September. I am amazed as to the amount of rooms that are fully booked.
Is it really that busy in September? is the beach full (far end) and all the tavernas ETC?
i am going to wait until next August now as it's guaranteed to be nice and quiet.
Have a good one everybody!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »
September is always very popular for Plakias judging by the number of 'regulars' (never been described as regular before - usually extra large !) but I dont think there are fewer Brits visiting. Maybe just the usual pattern of visits and the fact that lots of people seem to have chosen somewhere else for a change - no harm in that. We'll be back as usual in Sept.

Offline jerichrome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 11:23:33 AM »
Just got back from 2 and a half weeks in Crete, did a few trips to Plakias, Ammoudaki and Souda. Far end beach was quite full, but it wasn't as crowded as other years. Donut man mad his daily passes, Ammoudaki was very crowded, but due to the Greeks on holiday in August, mor then half of the people wear clothing. Saudo beach was even fully dressed, far end no problems.
Restaurants never full so i don't think that there was as much people as other years.
Now back to counting down, returning in octobre.

Offline stavros

• Also Pedro_on_Tour on Tripadvisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »
I am rare contributor but regular reader. Will be going to Plakias in September for a few days, and will be interested as ever to know about current best places to eat and (especially) if there is any live Kritiki or Laiki/Rembetiko going on.
Visiting Greece and Crete since 1984

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »
I shall only return when Olympic restarts Gatwick flights commencing in early May with a transfer. June is too hot for me. Olympic needs to return to offering what the customer wants rather than what Olympic wants.

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 10:05:40 AM »
I too read this a lot, and hope to have something to post over the next few weeks. Back in Plakias first two weeks in September and looking forward to my Dawn swims at the far end. It's like a giant bath ;)

Sorry to here about Oolmypic, is traveling independ not an option for you?

Davos.
Smile you are in Plakias. :)

Offline LinR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
Am here in Plakias at the moment, weather fantastic not so windy as usual (that may change I know!) no big changes that I can see since last year bar the ones already mentioned.
 It’s just glorious!!