login

Author Topic: What books will you be reading when you go to Plakias this year?  (Read 19137 times)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
What books will you be reading when you go to Plakias this year?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 03:38:21 PM »
Anyone read 'McCarthy's Bar' by Pete McCarthy?

It's been recommended to me, sounds like an ideal read.

george g...

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »
Quote from: Barny
I will stick to my usual Chris Ryan and Andy McNab books then exchange them at Ali and Daves !

Barny.

Just read (and I had bought it ready to take away in the summer but dipped in and then finished it!) "Sniper One" about an army unit based in Iraq (covering the episode where Pvt  Beharry gained his VC). I would strongly recommend it as a great read and on a sombre political note why we should support our troops in Iraq irrespective of whether we feel the war was justified or not.

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 11:02:40 AM »
This year I was reading The Broken Kings by Robert Holdstock, a somewhat bizarre fantasy novel that contrives to take the wizard Merlin back to ancient Crete where he encounters Daedalos (sp?).  Also, whenever I'm in Greece I like to read some Homer, this year it was the Odyssey in Robert Fagles' translation (Penguin Classics).

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
Goody! We both now have Kindles and so our suitcases when we visit Plakias in September will have loads of potential space as we wont be taking the usual library of books (usually about 10 paperbacks). The down side is that space will probably be filled with more shoes for Sandra.  
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
Quote from: Tony and Sandra Smith
Goody! We both now have Kindles and so our suitcases when we visit Plakias in September will have loads of potential space as we wont be taking the usual library of books (usually about 10 paperbacks). The down side is that space will probably be filled with more shoes for Sandra.  

Hello,

Just sorting out my final book list.  On my Kindle I have :- Jerusalem: The Biography by Simon Sebag Mentefiore.  Life by Keith Richards . Smut by Alan Bennett.
A few paperbacks namely Gore Vidal , Palimpsest , a memoir.
Victor Pritchett, Collected stories.
Lord Denning , The Discipline of Law.  Some chiklit .  In addition of course is the excellent Plakias library. Will be there for a month this time so plenty of time for a good read.

Hope Jann enjoyed her trip this time and Kerstin and Peter likewise. Staying  again at Rowena and Carl's great apartment at Panorama.
Heather.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 03:03:25 PM »
Quote from: travellingran

Hello,

Just sorting out my final book list.  On my Kindle I have :- Jerusalem: The Biography by Simon Sebag Mentefiore.  Life by Keith Richards . Smut by Alan Bennett.
Lord Denning , The Discipline of Law.  Some chiklit .  In addition of course is the excellent Plakias library. Will be there for a month this time so plenty of time for a good read.

Hope Jann enjoyed her trip this time and Kerstin and Peter likewise. Staying  again at Rowena and Carl's great apartment at Panorama.
Heather.

Lord Denning "The Discipline of Law". That sounds a bit heavy going!
Tony

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 05:48:05 PM »
Time to read a book? Not for us this year! Due to the extremely high prices being charged by Olympic for this year, our normal 2 week holiday to Kostas has been cut to 1 week, but we will attempt to fit 2 weeks worth of eating, drinking and sun bathing into 1 week, so time to relax with a good book is definately out of the question! We may need another holiday to recover from rushing around to all the tavernas and bars in Plakias, Myrthios and Lefkogeia.
See you all in June (don't blink or you'll miss us)

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »
Quote from: travellingran

Hello,

Heather.

Lord Denning "The Discipline of Law". That sounds a bit heavy going!

Tony,

It is rather . Should keep me quiet and well out of mischief though !!

Heather.

Offline C and P

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
Sadly we won't be in Plakias  this summer, having switched loyalty to holidays in our campervan, but the must-read that I enjoyed last year was Christopher Somerville's excellent 'The Golden Step', which recounts his walk east to west across Crete.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:38:13 PM by C and P »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Re: What books will you be reading when you go to Plakias this year?
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 11:53:48 PM »

Just read "Sniper One" about an army unit based in Iraq (covering the episode where Pvt  Beharry gained his VC). I would strongly recommend it as a great read and on a sombre political note why we should support our troops in Iraq irrespective of whether we feel the war was justified or not.

Tony

superb book  heartily recommend it

the must-read that I enjoyed last year was Christopher Somerville's excellent 'The Golden Step', which recounts his walk east to west across Crete.

i have been looking for this book

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »

If all else fails then try Abe Books. Usually find they have the most obscure or out of print tomes.

Heather.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »
I will be trying out my 'kindle' on the beach. (ooh err)

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
Two Anne Zouroudis, a biography of Dickens, Terry Pratchett's Dodger, Murder on the Orient Express & From Russia With Love.

:)

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 09:46:21 AM »
The Kindle has revolutionized my holiday reading. I no longer agonize over filling half the suitcase with books. My only disappointment was the initial unreliability of the machine having had to return a total of four of them to Amazon before I've got one that seems to be fully functional and stable
Tony

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »
Have you used yours in the bright sunlight yet? (whatever that is) and would it be too hot on the beach to use it?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?