login

Author Topic: Suggestions for Walks  (Read 27041 times)

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« on: October 04, 2004, 12:54:59 PM »
This year the cooler, breezier conditions made walking a bit easier . Here are a few suggestions based on our experiences.
First – arm yourself with a good local map. The Plakias Walker’s Map is fine but the Damnoni Area Map covers the same area with the same level of detail and is about 1.5 Euro cheaper. Available from a couple of the Supermarkets in Plakias.

1.   Plakias to Lefkoyia
Out of Plakias along the road, turn right at the main road, going to Lefkoyia, take the 2nd or 3rd, uphill. Keep going until you reach the irrigation channel. Turn right and follow it as it meanders through the hills. There will be several tracks leading back down to the main road but keep going until you see a church on the left. At the crossroads here you can turn right or continue on and take the next right. Both take you to Lefkoyia. From Lefkoyia you can take a back road/track running parallel to the main road which joins the road to Amoudi. From Amoudi, you can go via Damnoni and the Olive grove route to Plakias.

2.   Plakias to Finikas Monastery
Take a route of your choice to Selia, then take the road heading WSW slightly downhill across the valley leading to Souda. Be careful not to take a left turn which will take you down to Souda (although we did just that and managed to get across the river with only a couple of attempts). The road to Finikas Monastery is quite tortuous but a pleasant walk none the less – very peaceful. On the way back, you need to turn right, off the road before where the bulls are kept (Sept. 04) (take the thin black line on the map) The path is not at all clear but if you go through the olive grove and vegetable patch you can pick up a track for a while, then another ‘thin black line’ track (this one is easier to follow) takes you to a track leading to Souda. If you get there at the right time, you can get the train back to Plakias.

3.   Kali Sykea to Plakias
We got a taxi to Kali Sykea, then ambled down the road to a junction. Turned left to check out Aghios Ioannis. On the far side of Aghios Ioannis there is a track on the right which goes down into a small valley, then up again to Kanevos. After exploring the back streets there, we followed the road down through the gorge. It would have been possible to have dropped down to the dried out river bed (in the summer) but it’s not easy to tell how ‘lumpy’ that route is from the road so we didn’t try it. Once through the gorge, just after taking the left turn to Myrthios there is a track leading down towards the river bed. If you take this it goes down some way but then climbs again to join a track running along the Selia side of the valley. For another time, note that the track that runs parallel to this one, but a bit lower down gives excellent views of the old mills from above.  
Eventually the track meets one of the rough roads going to Selia and you can turn left to get back to Plakias.

Offline Johny

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 05:53:45 PM »
We visited Plakias 1 Oct for 1 day.Tried to walk up to Myrthios via Water Mill.(We did the walk in 97).Got to Mill O.K. but no obvious way up.The defaced signpost indicated others also had problems.
Any one tried it recently?

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 06:11:14 AM »
I think we looked 1 or 2 years ago bur didn't find a route. We didn't look too closely this year as we were focused on getting further up towards the gorge from the Mill. We failed when starting from the Mill but when we walked down the gorge on the Selia side of the valley it was easier some of the less distinct paths on the Myrthios side.
Something for next year I expect

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 12:31:53 PM »
another route i'd recommend is going over to rodakino ( well nearly) via the coast

walk over to souda bay, cross over the stream and look for the path going up the hillside ( this may be overgrown) to join the main path going towards the headland. the path is pretty obvious at this point, but tends to fade out

you head over the headland (the dragon) and you come across a bulldozed path which will lead you on to a small lane, going past a few houses (or apartments). the lane becomes a road and after passing a nice tarvena (actually much more fun to stop at it rather than pass it) the road turns left to go up to rodakino proper.

this will take around three hours of (not too difficult) walking through some beautiful scenery, full of the smells of wild herbs

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 08:09:02 PM »
another route i'd recommend is going over to rodakino ( well nearly) via the coast

walk over to souda bay, cross over the stream and look for the path going up the hillside ( this may be overgrown) to join the main path going towards the headland. the path is pretty obvious at this point, but tends to fade out

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3118\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The beginning of this walk is now much easier to do and to find since the new buldozed track is now (October 2004) completed all the way to Souda. Walk up the road North a little from Souda, turn left down a track and the new buldozed path is easily picked up. It is a super walk. We walked all the way to Rodakina, had a good rest and drink at the Taverna and then walked back. - Superb. Some of our friends staying at the same hotel did this walk but took some very unconventional transport back to Plakias from Rodakina - the details about which I am sworn to secrecy. I do feel that confessions are required on this small matter  

John R

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 08:17:07 AM »
quote=John R,Apr 22 2005, 07:09 PM]
The beginning of this walk is now much easier to do and to find since the new buldozed track is now (October 2004) completed all the way to Souda. Walk up the road North a little from Souda, turn left down a track and the new buldozed path is easily picked up. It is a super walk. We walked all the way to Rodakina, had a good rest and drink at the Taverna and then walked back. - Superb.John R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3120\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

[attachment=99:attachment]

taken last Sept. (early) - the route looks very barren at the Souda end. Does it get better towards Rodakino?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 10:29:49 AM »
The beginning of this walk is now much easier to do and to find since the new buldozed track is now (October 2004) completed all the way to Souda.
John R
Is this a path for walkers or a road for vehicles? Where does it go to and from exactly?

Mike

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »
The beginning of this walk is now much easier to do and to find since the new buldozed track is now (October 2004) completed all the way to Souda.
John R
Is this a path for walkers or a road for vehicles? Where does it go to and from exactly?

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For walkers - unless you have a big 4 x4

It goes from Souda to Rodakina - a very good walking track - mostly newly buldozed during last year. As I said before the Souda end can be picked up if one walks a couple of hundred yaerds ofr so up the road leading Northe up from Souda and picking up a track on the left. Fairly obvious when you are there. It ends on the coastal track going in/out to/ from the east end of Rodakina, thankfully very close to a Taverna near the beach.

The photo attached shows a view looking back down the track soon after leaving Souda - the buildings in the background being at the Northern end of Souda.

[attachment=100:attachment]

Another photo of the new track :-

[attachment=101:attachment]

John R

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 08:02:50 AM »
Thanks for the additional info, John.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 08:59:24 PM »
Thanks indeed

that does sound like an improvement, the section that 'fades out' could be difficult (to follow)

we'll be doing the walk again next month!!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 08:40:59 AM »
I've tried to do this walk on several occations, but could never find the footpath. I watched them blowing out the road last year and got the idea they were doing this especially for me.
I am really looking forward to doing this new road this year and going by the interest, it's going to be busy up there!
george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 09:19:39 AM »
I've tried to do this walk on several occations, but could never find the footpath. I watched them blowing out the road last year and got the idea they were doing this especially for me.
I am really looking forward to doing this new road this year and going by the interest, it's going to be busy up there!
george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3142\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that must be it george, they realised it was a problem for you and......bang!! there you go

we had to be shown the way up from the beach , it was very difficult.

i was talking to someone on another forum who has rented one of the apartments at the other end of the walk near rodakino, looks wonderful but too remote for my liking

Offline wakefossil

• ICQ Messenger - 346648572
    • MSN Messenger - wakefossil@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wakefossil
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 07:32:20 PM »
Is this a path for walkers or a road for vehicles?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For walkers - unless you have a big 4 x4
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3128\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Looks like a perfect enduro ride to me.   I hope it hasn't been tarmac'ed over the winter. I'll definitely try this one in June. This should be a significant shortcut to Rodakino, compared to the route via Sellia.

Andy (counting the days   )

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 07:38:37 PM »
Adny, is an 'enduro' a bike?

(excuse my ignorance)

Offline wakefossil

• ICQ Messenger - 346648572
    • MSN Messenger - wakefossil@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wakefossil
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestions for Walks
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »
Adny, is an 'enduro' a bike?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, it's an offroad motorbike.
(excuse my ignorance)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No problem. As I'm not a native speaker, I don't know which terms are commonplace and which aren't. I hope I'm understandable though.