Author Topic: Ok, 2021, lets go !!  (Read 15348 times)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
Re: Ok, 2021, lets go !!
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2021, 12:58:03 PM »
The starting point of the new road to Rodekio is not all that easy to find, and it is not yet signposted.
However, from Plakias, drive right to the end of Souda and turn right at the last taverna.
Continue up this road for about 400/ 500 yards and look for a road or more like track to the left.
The road then goes downhill and thru a series of tight bends before if begins the climb up to the top level.
An interesting drive then over to Rodekio.

Couple of things:
Not a good road for the faint hearted and not one to be used in the dark !
And at the Radikio end, take careful note of where the road comes out.
Again, not signposted and easy to miss on the way back.
Remember that it starts with a steep concrete climb.

And please give the new pop up Cantena Foinikias on the road side avisit if open.
The views from there are stunning and always a warm welcome.

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2021, 12:32:52 PM »
Hi,
We fly home from Hania on Saturday. So we went to pharmacist today to get our LF tests done. Although both negative, he could not find us on the system using our Greek Passenger Locator Form. Therefore he has not given us a certificate!!
Has anyone else had this experience?
Or does anyone have a solution?
As things stand we will try the doctor tomorrow.
Thanks J&G

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2021, 02:41:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about problem you are having - no idea why you can?t be found on the system.  I did my test through the doctor at the medical centre and got the result and certificate back within a couple of hours.  I booked an appointment for the test however and am not sure if you can just turn up.  Good luck.

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2021, 12:58:12 PM »
Pleased to say that all is ok with our covid tests done at the medical centre.
Don?t know why the pharmacy one didn?t work yesterday!

Offline DandC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2021, 11:49:13 AM »
Got back from Plakias on Fri 8/10 after 12 lovely days! 1st visit since Jun 2019.
Some random notes/comments:

Flew into Chania - Greek PLF only got a cursory glance.
Return from Chania - had to show UK PLF and COVID passport, as expected.

Tavernas very busy - booking essential at the popular ones. Masks, sanitizers much in evidence.
Some were even refusing non-diners ie stopping off for a nightcap was a non-starter. eg Throubi, Minoiko. Panorama up in Myrthios even turned us away when we wanted a drink-only at 3.30pm, even though only 3 tables in use!! Unbelievable!
Our faves lived up to expectations - GioMa, Vrisi, Mariou, Tasomanolis and the new Alatsi (ex-Harakas) was a pleasant experience - VVG food.
On the Rocks boasts 'beach service' - we ordered inside then waited on beach for 20 mins despite a chaser. Only 4 other customers. We walked!
Ostraco = nice place for chilled late drink - sofas etc and nice waterside views.

Weather excellent - no rain, temp 24-30 deg, but really windy!! (Except the day we left!). Little or no wind as you went west of Plak.

Feared the worst hearing of the 'new builds' at east end of the beach - found them low-key - fairly tasteful, only 2 storey and well set back, with large gardens in front.
Disappointed by the new supermarket - the 'old' one opposite has a better range.

Hardly any Brits; about 95% German (or more).

Amazed by the road maintenance - LOADS of resurfaced roads.

Prices - eating out was about same as 2019, as was accomm cost. Petrol up from E1.45/l in 2019 to 1.75/l now. But car hire!!! DOUBLE the 2019 rates.
However, cannot recommend MotoAuto Plakias highly enough. Stress-free at all stages. No deposits, free 2nd driver, collect car at airport and pay at the office in Plak the next day! Rates were no more than any of the other firms either (E400/ 12 days). I'll be using them from now onwards.

Sad to say goodbye!

Offline DandC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2021, 04:34:51 PM »
Oh, and now no need to do the LFT just before leaving Plakias, just the 'Day 2' PCR when we got back to UK.
The latter test is no bother, just rather ??? - though it's being replaced later this month by the cheaper LFT.
Shame we just missed out - the saving would have bought a lot of aspro krasi up at Taverna Plateia (another fave spot. Their moussaka is truly the best I have had!)

Offline DandC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2021, 12:26:36 PM »
* that emoji should have been "? ? ?" - it converted itself into an emoji!

Offline DandC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2021, 12:27:37 PM »
"? ? ?"

Offline DandC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
Pound signs! - seems you can't type them in here!!

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2021, 04:41:45 PM »
Another 6.4 magnitude earthquake reported today  on Crete.
Centre looks like at the far eastern tip of the island ?
No reports of much damage caused.

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2021, 04:58:08 PM »
We were in Plakias in September, having not been for two years and we were surprised at just how busy it was compared to 2019. Plakias is not the small village we first visited in 1995 and has now become a small resort. We always used to eat in the paligremnos at lunchtime and even that wasn?t up to its usual standard. The olives were so small in the Greek salary that there was no meat on them. At the start of the second week we had our usual saganaki and it had been deep fried rather than pan fried. It was so greasy we left it, not something we ever do 🤢
Sadly, we have taken the decision to not go back and now we just need to find something a bit smaller and not so busy. Any suggestions are very welcome 😕

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2021, 01:44:13 PM »
I started going every year from 1989 so at least we can say we had the best years and have the memories too.....

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline reddiablo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2021, 07:52:44 PM »
sorry to read that Susan k
my brother first discovered Plakias back in 1977
he was a regular from then till his tragic death   traveling to iraklion
from the secret nest  Plakias July 2000
I came over from tampa Florida may 2019. loved it at cyano hotel
first time with my partner , and my seventh visit since 2000
my brothers lovely memorial stone across from soudamare hotel
will always be there
my final visit was scheduled for 2020.   covid  intervened. no trip
was booked for late July this year but my partner got covid and suffered badly
so maybe next year
my last hurrah.  I'm 70 now and Plakias is a long haul from Tampa FL
a final yassas with those who knew and loved tom
so here's to seeing soda bay next spring

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2021, 02:39:45 PM »
Well that is 2021 Plakias done.
June was a disaster and unable to go .
But September was different.
In spite of our initial trepidation , will we decided to take the plunge and go back to see George at Creta Mare .
Plenty of paperwork and checks and hoops to jump thru but after all of that, a tremendous 2 week return visit.
And we are ready, really, really pleased that we did this .
Would not have missed it for the world.

Now on to 2022 .

My thoughts and plans for this upcoming .

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2021, 02:46:40 PM »
We were in Plakias in September, having not been for two years and we were surprised at just how busy it was compared to 2019. Plakias is not the small village we first visited in 1995 and has now become a small resort. We always used to eat in the paligremnos at lunchtime and even that wasn?t up to its usual standard. The olives were so small in the Greek salary that there was no meat on them. At the start of the second week we had our usual saganaki and it had been deep fried rather than pan fried. It was so greasy we left it, not something we ever do 🤢
Sadly, we have taken the decision to not go back and now we just need to find something a bit smaller and not so busy. Any suggestions are very welcome 😕
Sad to read that Plakias has lost two long standing and regular visitors. Sadly I don't think I will be back, mainly due to Olympic Holidays not providing a full package holiday. If Covid travel restrictions persist I won't be doing any Greek trips.

M