Author Topic: Using mobiles in Greece  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Using mobiles in Greece
« on: May 20, 2009, 04:22:09 PM »
Hi,

Until this last year I've resisted buying a mobile phone. However, I've now gone one as it's more and more difficult to live without one.

I know there's previously been a lot written on this board about buying Greek SIM cards, but I can't find it. It won't let you search for SIM.

I have a Nokia phone with an Orange pay-as-you-go SIM card. I'm unlikely to make a lot of use of it in Greece. I won't be sending texts, but may make occasional calls to the UK. However, if its a lot cheaper to still use the public phones I'll still do that. When I go to the Cyclades later in the year, I may make some short internal calls within Greece. Should I buy a Greek SIM card and, if so, where do I get one? Will I need to get my phone unlocked?    

Greecemad

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Using mobiles in Greece
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »
The last couple of years we've used our uk mobile for short calls to numbers within Crete but for longer chats, especially to the UK, we have bought internet phone cards. First year we got it off the net but we later discovered they were available in the supermarkets. 5 Euro gave us more than enough time. We haven't bought one for a year or two but I'm sure they will be in one of the shops.

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Using mobiles in Greece
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
The last couple of years we've used our uk mobile for short calls to numbers within Crete but for longer chats, especially to the UK, we have bought internet phone cards. First year we got it off the net but we later discovered they were available in the supermarkets. 5 Euro gave us more than enough time. We haven't bought one for a year or two but I'm sure they will be in one of the shops.

Thanks for that, but what's an internet phone card?

Greecemad

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Using mobiles in Greece
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »
That's what I've called it because, originally you only got them on the internet. Each company's card has a local no. that you phone - usually at no cost but sometimes with a small connection fee. You are prompted to enter the card number. You then get told what credit remains and you then dial the number you want. It works similar to the access numbers you can use to get cheap overseas calls except that you're using phone card credit.

I'm sure we got at least 2 hours (to UK) for 5 Euro but maybe someone's used one recently and can be more precise.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:58:58 PM by Graham_and_Karen »