Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 6982 times)

Offline teignkall

• View Profile
    • Email
Brexit
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »
Now that we are out of the eu does any one know if we will have to have visas to travel to Greece or other eu country's, will we have our passports stamped, do we have to go through the red channel (non eu) at the airport etc. I assume we will have the benefit of duty free again. Travelling soon to Syros then back to Plakias in September. Hope some body is more knowledge than me.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brexit
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
There will be loads of questions like this. I guess some things will just revert to whatever happens if you travel to a non-EU country (so possibly visas etc). For the time being I think the exchange rate is what is going to worry people the most. It will take a couple of years for everything to be answered which doesn't help much !

Offline teignkall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »
These should be interesting times for us all, the exchange rate has not dropped to much locally, about 4 cents to the pound so not to bad at the moment as I was expecting a lot worse. It's annoying that neither side was willing to provide the comprehensive information people require, it's a bit like staying on the motorway or turning of down a country lane and hoping it takes you somewhere interesting before it gets to narrow.

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:56:22 AM »
Nothing will change for holiday makers this summer (except the exchange rate possibly), there is too much to be done before then. Deals will have to be negotiated and who knows what will happen next summer, however, I don't believe we will see too many changes but I am hoping for duty free to be reinstated  ;)

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »
What's so good about duty free?  At the moment people can bring back pretty much as much as they can pack, and bought "in resort" is usually cheaper than Duty Free ever was.  There would be limits on how much could be taken duty free.  I see it as just one more trolley to go up and down the plane when you want to sleep or go to the toilet!  But then I'm a curmudgeon (and not a smoker).

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 11:18:46 AM »
I suspect Duty Free will revert to the sort of restricted allowances you'd get from Tenerife rather than the 'all you can carry' options we're used to. That's going to annoy people once it's agreed. My hubbie (Dai) smokes and we bring cartons of ciggies back with us each time; buying them in the local supermarket so it's not just the customs limits that will be affected...it will be the local economy too...that's not fair to the local traders. Hope they think very seriously about this.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 02:44:01 PM »
That's the confusing bit to me. You can only bring  200 cigarettes from a non EU country into an EU country but what about from an EU country  to a non EU country? Shouldn't be any difference than it is now?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
That's exactly the problem as, technically Tenerife is Spanish so it is an eu country...........it seems they make their minds up to suit. We'll have to wait and see.

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 06:33:05 PM »
We are in Plakias at the moment, booze is cheaper at Tescos than here, but I know where I'd rather be!!

Offline Bill Lawrenson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 10:34:01 PM »
We may intend leaving the EU but it is not going to effect our passports and travel this year. There is a lot to be done before the divorce is settled. Just keep enjoying Plakias it isn't going to change and after all we still travelled all over the place before the EU. Might be nice to have stamps in my passport again.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 10:13:07 PM »
I rather think that we have more important things to worry about than a few cheap cartons of fags or duty-free grog....

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 10:16:59 PM »
Agree.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »
Each to their own......
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 07:45:54 PM »
Sorry Barny, not having a pop at anyone, just a bit depressed about the whole thing, whichever side you back.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 08:56:05 AM »
I know.....
Fancy a Mythos?