login

Author Topic: what still remains?& what's new?  (Read 10608 times)

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
what still remains?& what's new?
« on: October 24, 2004, 07:56:39 PM »
I've been having a quick look through old topics and had trouble finding info about
 what places are good to eat now in plakias and to drink I know where all the
 original places are (that I know are still there) were there any new tavernas or bars that opened this year ? what are they like? Also what is the 'Hexagon' now? Is nikos souvalaki still down that side street on the left hand side of the Lamon hotel ? (Nikos is married to a lovely aussie lady!) Has the Meltemi ceased to exist (wasn't this year it's last)  And where's best to eat? I know the lovely Nikos works in Sofia, but I'm afraid I've never been that impressed with the seafront tavernas (sorry!!  ) And what are the prices like in Plakias now? What can I expect to pay for a beer and meal? I always remember it being quite cheap....

Offline Brid O Halloran

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 08:18:47 PM »
 We were in Plakias first two weeks of September this year.  Found Lyseoss and Gorgola really good.

Offline Brid O Halloran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 08:20:48 PM »
Sorry, didn't read about the cost of a meal.  Two of us eat, usually, starters and main courses, with half litre of wine for less than twenty euro.

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 08:35:50 PM »
Have only been to Sofia on the seafront, the food is ok.
Yes Nikos Souvlaki is still there.
As for prices we typically paid about £14-£18 for two starters, two main courses and a litre of house wine.

On a similar note MikeG has asked for a list of tavernas so that he can search the forum for comments on them.
Perhaps people could list the tavernas they visited this year and perhaps include a brief description.

I'll kick it off, in no particular order:

Ariadne - Usually a favourite, this time undercooked chicken and long waits.. disappointed.

Sofia - Yes they have Nikos and a large menu. I liked the cretan saganaki. If you want the Apaki (sp?) get there early

Lyseoss - Pretty good I seem to remember (ony been the once)

Medousa - Spicy pork with creamy mushroom sauce... divine

Sirroko - Food is average to good, sevice can be slow.

Platia - Up in Myrthios, good views, food usually good but often don't have full menu available.

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head. The above of course is just my opinion. Would like to hear others thoughts on these tavernas (and others of course)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 11:35:57 PM by Ploppy »

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 10:27:27 PM »
I remember all those tavernas, not too sure about medusa or Gorgola, where are they?
 Good to hear Nikos (souvalaki) is still there!  And I like Platia up in mirthios too!
I think it would be a great Idea to have a panel for food and drink comments and ratings!
Does anyone have any comments on the food at the Alianthos Gardens hotel ( if you have stayed half board?)

From what you say about the prices it's still not that bad, about £15-£20 cheaper than what I'd pay in restaurants where I live!!

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 01:06:32 PM »
For what its worth, I can honestly say I haven't had a duff meal in Plak since going. OK we haven't eaten - everywhere, but where we have eaten :-

Tassomanolis/Sirroco/Christos (stunning !!)/Sofia/Galini (Souda) and other names that I can't remember !

As I think I've said before, it may be easier to list the places NOT to go. As for prices, I thougt they were slightly down this year. For 6 of us with starters, mains and no holding back on beer/soft drinks and Wine, we were averaging 70-80 Euros (more if we went for fresh fish), not exactly over the top !!!
Mind you we are usually there in the height of the season so everywhere is open. Later in the year you 'may' be limited - don't know.

I've no complaints, and am always a happy chappy,

Cheers
Neil

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 07:47:57 PM »
Have only been to Sofia on the seafront, the food is ok.
Yes Nikos Souvlaki is still there.
As for prices we typically paid about £14-£18 for two starters, two main courses and a litre of house wine.

On a similar note MikeG has asked for a list of tavernas so that he can search the forum for comments on them.
Perhaps people could list the tavernas they visited this year and perhaps include a brief description.

I'll kick it off, in no particular order:

Ariadne - Usually a favourite, this time undercooked chicken and long waits.. disappointed.

Sofia - Yes they have Nikos and a large menu. I liked the cretan saganaki. If you want the Apaki (sp?) get there early

Lyseoss - Pretty good I seem to remember (ony been the once)

Medousa - Spicy pork with creamy mushroom sauce... divine

Sirroko - Food is average to good, sevice can be slow.

Platia - Up in Myrthios, good views, food usually good but often don't have full menu available.

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head. The above of course is just my opinion. Would like to hear others thoughts on these tavernas (and others of course)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What has happened with the Ariadne? It was a favourite of ours for years we noticed early on in the year a change and when we returned in September we heard bad reports so am afraid didn't visit there. Shame as it WAS was a regular haunt of ours maybe we should have a word with Adonis (of Mousses).
What about the Kri Kri?
Dotty
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 07:49:19 PM by DOTTY »
Dotty

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 09:41:25 PM »
What has happened with the Ariadne? It was a favourite of ours for years we noticed early on in the year a change and when we returned in September we heard bad reports so am afraid didn't visit there. Shame as it WAS was a regular haunt of ours maybe we should have a word with Adonis (of Mousses).
What about the Kri Kri?
Dotty
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure, it may have something to do with Barbara (Adonis' wife?) no longer running it. May give it another go next year.

Kri Kri was the very first taverna in Plakias we went some years ago, I seem to remember it was ok, haven't been back since but will probably try again next year.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 08:23:09 AM »
I can understand that being served undercooked food would put anyone off going again. We ate at Ariadne several times this September and didn't have a problem but we were aware that some of the staff worked their socks off and others took a more laid back approach. We'll go back there next year I'm sure - until our first bad experience.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 01:16:31 PM »
I think it would be a great Idea to have a panel for food and drink comments and ratings!
What I asked Paul (Ploppy) for was much simpler than this, namely a list, somewhere prominent on the forum, of all the known eating places in Plakias. This would enable anyone to use the forum's excellent search facility to check on users' comments on the establishment of interest.

Mike

Offline anatoli

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 04:20:22 PM »
One of the best places to eat and cheaply too with great views over the bay is Michaelis in Sellia.
Nice to chill out there with some of his home made wine and Raki...

Offline LoukaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 06:54:27 PM »
Ariadne was certainly a place worth mentioning.

We went here for several years.

The menu was very interesting compared to some other restaurants.

In July we noticed Barbara was not in the restaurant.

When we asked where she was we were told she was at home as she had taken a day off...

I noticed that the place was not as clean as before and our food was certainly not like before.

We wondered if she was ill.

Because of the food we did not return.

We were in Plakias in October and tried to see if Barbara was in the restaurant.

As we never saw here we did not risk it again.

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 01:13:12 PM »
One of the best places to eat and cheaply too with great views over the bay is Michaelis in Sellia.
Nice to chill out there with some of his home made wine and Raki...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good to hear Mikaelis is getting on so well !  It's good to hear he's settling  down with his own business and new family.Spoke to him briefly last year when he was still working in Ostraco downstairs- I was wondering who works in the ostraco
now it's all changed? I seem to remember they had changed the interior aswell?
 Who works upstairs now?

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 10:55:16 PM »
Has the Meltemi ceased to exist (wasn't this year it's last) 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hallo fraoula,

The "Meltemi" opened round about the beginning of September but as it always seemed to be suspiciously empty (maybe because of THE Meltemi raging at the time) I never went inside to investigate.

Noopsy
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 10:56:54 PM by Noopsy 500 »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline sheryl

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sherylhume1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 06:53:53 PM »
the meltemi is open, but you really had to be there very very late...... phillipous said it will still be open next year  .  The alianthos has had to give him two years rent free for some kind of compensation, and the promise of a years notice before they knock it down and build their bloody 5* hotel.  .. dont know when the two years started and phillipous hasn't been given any notice yet,
I know not everyone is disco freaks or night owls, and god forbid that it would turn into malia; but surely to attract the tourists and tour companies and to get the place as busy as it was years ago they need alittle something for everyone and destroying the night life aint the way to go..as long as plakias stays a quiet as its been for the past few years i think the alianthos will put off building. they struggle to fill the hotel thats they've got - i should point out that i know and like the people in the alianthos i'm just bitter that they're knocking down my disco
sheryl