Author Topic: Still hoping to make it this year!  (Read 8987 times)

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Still hoping to make it this year!
« on: June 29, 2020, 03:17:52 PM »
Hi everyone. Is anyone else still hoping to make it to Plakias this year. I am! Currently booked for early September. We've booked EasyJet flights, so if they are forced to cancel we can use a voucher later - next year if necessary. Personally I'm happy to go in October if I must.

I see from 'Keep Talking Greece', flights will NOT be allowed from the UK until July 15th at the the earliest,

Article:https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/06/29/no-direct-flights-from-uk-sweden-to-greece-until-july-15/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+KeepTalkingGreece+%28Keep+Talking+Greece%29

We've booked accommodation on a 'no fee cancellation' basis, similar with car hire. Fingers firmly crossed!
John - Ostraco

Offline Peter G

• View Profile
Re: Still hoping to make it this year!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:51:20 PM »
Hi, we are still hoping to travel to Plakias on Tuesday 8th Sept staying with KC. Flying Jet2 from Manchester to Chania. I have been in touch with a few other friends who we meet every year and they all have fingers crossed. I hope to be in touch with KC soon and hope all our Cretan friends are safe and well and are able to survive this terrible time.

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 07:01:19 AM »
Still planning to go Sept. / Oct.  Have just changed our flights and accommodation from 14 nights to 23 nights.....going out via a Tui flight, returning with Easyjet

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »
We booked for Plakias last November on the day Easyjet released their flights to Crete, got a really good price for the flights into Chania (first time there ever in over 20 years going to Plakias), taxi with Zacharias, staying at KC, booked direct with Kostas before we left last October, on his 'new' B&B basis, given the problems he has had with Olympic and we were convinced the independant deal is better, more flexibility to where we fly into, Olympic don't do transfers so Zachs taxi was always used, and we can stay wherever we like, though to be honest, we have never stayed anywhere else than KC! Would love to try Nikos at On The Rocks, maybe next year, depending on his prices, he will never tell me when I ask him, even after a few ouzos.
This will be our only Greek holiday this year as our trip to Kalamata was cancelled, and our other trip to Lesvos is impossible with no flights now that TC have gone.
Always look on the bright side of life as someone once sung, we WILL be in Plakias 1st October, but 12 days might not be long enough, maybe don't return and stay the winter?
Ta leme Plakias

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »
With 'Local Lock-downs' in the news, I think any problems we might have in getting to or from Plakias are more likely to be a reflection of the UK situation rather than hassles in Greece.
John - Ostraco

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 03:26:14 PM »
I agree with Ostraco, the UK side of things will be more of a problem, the Greek way of doing anything is much better, - if it doesn't make sense, then don't do it. Some of the videos of Greek resorts after the lockdown has finished show tavernas open and working with a typically Greek attitude to rules, made for the blind obedience of idiots and the guidance of wise men, and the Greeks are a wise people. At least in Plakias us repeat visitors will be greated with the usual warmth as old family, and probably not have to adhere to some of the OTT regulations. And to set the record straight I am not being cavalier to the risks, I am in the high risk catagory due to age and pre-existing, but have enough common sense to avoid any situation that would be a threat.
As Mr. trump said, drink lots of ouzo and you will be OK, big things.

Offline teignkall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 04:04:33 PM »
We are hoping to get to Plakias as well in October having lost out last year to Thomas cook. JBMouse we are also fans of Lesvos and planned to fly with Jet2 from Manchester this year early July, flights not commencing now until July 11th so lost out again. Jet2 planned to fly twice a week to Mytilini pre COVID.

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 04:32:48 PM »
Off topic, but we are close to Gatwick, so that is the only sensible option. Stanstead journey would be a nightmare, not going to do it, especially as many Lesvos ouzos can be bought in other parts of Greece and at duty free. Not such a good choice ( eg no Giannitsi) and Angelo at KC buys Mytilini, quite good stuff. I always buy loads in Plakias and more at Duty Free.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 09:13:17 AM »
Booked for 22nd September with EasyJet from Edinburgh.  Usual accommodation booked.  Will just wait and see what the next few weeks/months bring.  Only missed 1 year out of 30.  My stock of metaxa is fast running out.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 04:08:44 PM »
I'v been watching the Keep Talking Greece website for a few weeks now - thoroughly recommended for Greek news in English. Click https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/

Here's their take on the opening up of flights - including items about both Heraklion and Chania
https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/07/01/greece-tourists-first-welcome-july-1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+KeepTalkingGreece+%28Keep+Talking+Greece%29

Fingers still crossed!
John - Ostraco

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
There is a solution.

https://twitter.com/TomEPPayne/status/1278594574986944512

Ferries are now operating form Piraeus (Athens' port) to Crete (Heraklion) although I think you'll need to go via the Cyclades.

I've always tried to avoid getting political on my site, so I just offer this as a travel option!
John - Ostraco

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 03:03:42 PM »
I'm an August person so I've missed out this year, not taking risks at airports ETC. My Mythos will just have to wait I suppose.....

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 07:50:17 AM »
HI,  What do the locals think about the Brits coming this year?
Also, what are the rules about face masks?
Smile you are in Plakias. :)

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
John - Ostraco

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 07:01:01 AM »
HI,  What do the locals think about the Brits coming this year?
Also, what are the rules about face masks?

The locals are counting on you coming! its still very quiet here and the local taverna's and bars will welcome you as always, face masks are being worn by all servers and kitchen staff as this is now law, but you can come and go without anything, I would keep one in your hand luggage as in confined areas like supermarkets the locals would appreciate you using one, obviously they are a bit nervous of the situation but more worried that they will have nothing to live on for the winter.