login

Author Topic: it's quiet Carruthers.... too quiet  (Read 210656 times)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
it's quiet Carruthers.... too quiet
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 08:33:11 AM »
Totally agree John, Tourism has taken over as far as the roads are concerned, no idea why 'cause there's nothing up there other than the spectacular views of the white mountains.
10 years ago it was a very different place, but I keep going there every year, it's my adrenelin rush, I hate the winding road and it scares me to death, but the views are tremendous, and the bridge at Aredena is an experience.
Did you go through the gate and into the deserted village, it looks like the church is still being used and the graveyard looks like it's looked after?
Has anyone actually made it down to Finikas Beach, I tried in my 4 x 4 and gave up?

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 09:20:31 AM »
 ever wondered how the EU manages to spend all those euros?, well... when you see those nice new black top roads in the mountains again, you'll remember!

the village at the end of the road is Agia Ioannis, if i remember correctly, it's not really deserted but it is very quiet. we went to the taverna (next to the gate) hoping for a drink but was very disappointed to find it almost derelict. however i noticed that one of the rusty fridges outside was actually running, and found it stocked with all manner of beer, water and soft drinks, all priced up with post-it notes and a jar of money which must have contained 30-40 euros  

wonderful stuff, it was one of the highlights of the holiday

toilet facilities weren't up to much though

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 03:07:39 PM »
Quote from: George
Did you go through the gate and into the deserted village, it looks like the church is still being used and the graveyard looks like it's looked after?

george g...

I agree with Chris - not really deserted. There is a live Taverna just inside the gate (I think - memory ??) and a dog was tied to the open gate. Also a Refuse waggon came in when we were there and obviously had lots of business within the village and around . I think just very quiet as per many vilaages in that general area.

John

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 04:11:43 PM »
Quote from: John R
There is a live Taverna just inside the gate (I think - memory ??) and a dog was tied to the open gate.
John

that was the taverna i described above!    

and that dog took a few chocolate biscuits to get a tail wag    

Mandy Harrison

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 12:02:06 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
ever wondered how the EU manages to spend all those euros?, well... when you see those nice new black top roads in the mountains again, you'll remember!

the village at the end of the road is Agia Ioannis, if i remember correctly, it's not really deserted but it is very quiet. we went to the taverna (next to the gate) hoping for a drink but was very disappointed to find it almost derelict. however i noticed that one of the rusty fridges outside was actually running, and found it stocked with all manner of beer, water and soft drinks, all priced up with post-it notes and a jar of money which must have contained 30-40 euros  

wonderful stuff, it was one of the highlights of the holiday

toilet facilities weren't up to much though

The picture of me with a beer in my hand at the DIY taverna is the best picture of me this year on holiday.  I loved that day on the walk and finding the taverna with loads of beer and no tourists was a very special moment.  I hope I can go back in May and enjoy another beer.  A highlight of my holiday this year.  Indeed I hope I find it as quiet next time as I did in September.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 12:25:52 PM by Mandy Harrison »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 04:16:41 PM »
from Agia Ioannis,  we took a path through a fire damaged forest to end up on the coast at the other side of the Aradeana gorge to a place called Sellounda ( i think)

there is a wonderful view of Agia Roumeli from the top of the mountains there

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 09:26:29 AM »

Looks like some serious walking footwear you have there Chris and Mandy. Must take up a sizeable amount of your 20kg pp luggage allowance.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 09:28:12 AM by Mike G »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 08:01:12 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Looks like some serious walking footwear you have there Chris and Mandy. Must take up a sizeable amount of your 20kg pp luggage allowance.

Mike

We take similar but solve the problem by wearing the boots on the flights in and out.

John R

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 11:55:25 AM »
Quote from: John R
We take similar but solve the problem by wearing the boots on the flights in and out.

John R

we do the same as well John, but to make matters worse, this year we had to pack the rucksacks in the cases instead of using them as hand luggage  

i am sad to report though after around 5 years of service, i had to retire my old boots, mainly due to the damage inflicted in Crete   but i'm glad to report my new ones are fandabbydozy!  and they make those shabby boots that mandy wears look  

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 12:06:33 PM »
i rest my case

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 12:14:07 PM »
[attachment=429:attachment]
i rest my case

Who's face is this then?

Mandy Harrison

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 02:15:42 PM »
Quote from: George
[attachment=429:attachment]
i rest my case

If you want to do something positive perhaps we can get the members to have a whip round - couple of quid each should see me with a sparkly new pair of boots.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 02:48:07 PM »
Quote from: Mandy Harrison
You can say what you like about my boots - they have been far and wide but please leave my knees out of this discussion  If you want to do something positive perhaps we can get the members to have a whip round - couple of quid each should see me with a sparkly new pair of boots.

says the winner of the 1985 Butlins knobbly knees competition    

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 03:13:24 PM »
You can say what you like about my boots - they have been far and wide but please leave my knees out of this discussion  If you want to do something positive perhaps we can get the members to have a whip round - couple of quid each should see me with a sparkly new pair of boots.
[/quote]

The boots... I like

Mandy Harrison

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 04:35:22 PM »
[quote name='George' date='Nov 27 2006, 04:13 PM' post='7748']
[/quote]

The boots... I like
[/quote]

And there's me thinking you liked everything about me George