login

Author Topic: first time in plakias  (Read 7994 times)

Offline stephen_plakias

• View Profile
first time in plakias
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »
hi guys,

myself and my girlfriend are visiting plakias next week, for a fortnight.

we are both 23 and are really just looking for a nice break, relaxing and peaceful. not raving mad discos!

we are just looking to get some more info on the place. we are staying at Dora studios.

is the food good in plakias? any special places is a must for a meal?

what is the bar / nightlife like?

also we have noticed there is waterparks throughout the island, is there a tour bus that might do a day trip?

really just looking for a little insight to what we are heading to next week.

many thanks,

look forward to hearing from the plakias experts!!!

Stevie and Sarah

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »
Quote from: stephen_plakias
hi guys,

we are both 23 and are really just looking for a nice break, relaxing and peaceful. not raving mad discos!

we are just looking to get some more info on the place. we are staying at Dora studios.

also we have noticed there is waterparks throughout the island, is there a tour bus that might do a day trip?

many thanks,

Stevie and Sarah

Hopefully you will get lots of replies on this. I'll give basic answers on what I know.

Unlikely you will find a tour bus to a water park - but DO look at anso travel agents - they promote all sorts of tours and there may indeed be one.

Plakias is an excellent place for food. I have my one and only favourite (popular with many) but it would be unfair to promote that to a newcomer. You need to try many or at least a few. Look at the article system for tavernas on this forum - it gives a very good and accurate overview and if you start off with the better ones mentioned there you cannot go wrong.

As you say "not raving mad discos!"  then you have come to the right place. There are one or two bars with music (Ostraco perhaps the best known). You should find something you will like. Certainly by the standards of lively resorts such as Malia,  Plakias is VERY quiet but perhaps "noisy enough" for the likes of you to seek out something you like.

Basically you can hardly fail to enjoy it - and it will be interesting to hear your comments on your return.

Others who have stayed there will no doubt comment re Dora and many other things.

John R

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »
hi guys,
many thanks,
Stevie and Sarah

Worth looking at the Article System: there's a link at the top of the forum pages.
Hope you have a great time

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:44:58 PM »
Welcome Guys,

Tavernas? Where to start. We have our favourites as do others. A few of ours in no particular order: Lysseos (Marge loves the vine wrapped stuffed chicken breast), Medousa (the one John didn't mention and home of the divine spicy pork  ), Sifis (be careful, the portions are somewhat on the large size). Only mentioned three but there are may others that are great, check out the article system and the Plakias map found in the menu top right.

Bars/nightlife? As John says there are a number of music bars that will be open late such as Ostraco, Smerna, Joes, Gialos. There are a couple of 'new'  bars such as Frame and Forum which are a bit more chilled out.  A wander up the road will take you to the beach bar which is also great, sitting on the edge of beach. Something a bit quieter, try an after dinner drink at the Livikon in nice comfy chairs (this time of year they wont all be taken by a certain gang of people  )
We have a decade and a half on you but we find it a good mix and have been known to watch the dawn arrive.

Hope you have a great time, most people seem to.

Let us know what you thought when you get back.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline stephen_plakias

• View Profile
first time in plakias
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:51:23 PM »
this info is great guys,

many thanks

we will be sure to give you some feedback on our return ;-)

stevie and sarah

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
We have a decade and a half on you but we find it a good mix and have been known to watch the dawn arrive.

Must be nice to be young - for us read 4 decades on Stevie and Sarah    

Still find it a good mix - especially that gang in Livicon when we go  

John R
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:50:29 PM by John R »

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:15:40 AM »
Hi Stevie and Sarah,

We will be at the Dora from the 18th   , never stayed there before, but we know a man who has.
It is set behind the main beach road, but only a stones throw from the bars and restaurants.

I believe the accomodation is basic and clean, and as we never cook on holiday it is all we need.

We will no doubt be in the Livicon in the evenings, so feel free to say hello.

Peter&Dawn

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:27:02 AM »

Paul

and Peter      

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:12:44 AM »
Quote from: harribobs

Paul

and Peter    

Nice one harribobs.    

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:19:25 AM »
I think I'm the man who has S&S.
If this is your first time guys, the last thing you'll be doing is staying in your room for any amount of time, so the Dora's fine. It's not in the best position and the outlook isnt very good, but the rooms are clean and have all the necessary amenities that you'll need, including a fridge for that all important cooling of the 'white'!!
It's 2 minutes to the front and all the bars and restuarants, even less if you're hungry and/or thirsty.
As has been said we all have our favourite bars and restuarants, so there's no point in going any deeper into that, you will find places that you will like, and if you read the Article System and peruse the threads, you'll get a good idea of the most popular haunts.
There's a massive water park 'Aqua Splash' at Hersonnisos on the north coast, just before Malia, check out: 'www.aquasplash.gr', but it's a bit of a way away and could mean a whole day out.
There's a night club behind the Platia bar, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the place (somebody will). I've never been in there and if you didn't know it was there, you'd never find it. It's makes no sound and there's no flashing lights to indicate that it exists.
Going by what you said you're looking for, Plakias will be perfect for you both, if it isn't let us know why!!
Meet P&D in the Levicon, they don't bite, unless of course you nick his G&T!!

Have a good one guys!!

george...

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
Hey George, It is Finikas Dancing Club I think . It seemed to be a bit erratic in its opening hours last year I seem to remember but we ended up in there once or twice. It is on the map which will help you find it.

Quote from: George
There's a night club behind the Platia bar, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the place (somebody will). I've never been in there and if you didn't know it was there, you'd never find it. It's makes no sound and there's no flashing lights to indicate that it exists.

Offline stephen_plakias

• View Profile
first time in plakias
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »
all sounds good, to be honest every forum i have looked at only has good thinks to say about plakias

P&D - see you there!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:08:23 AM by stephen_plakias »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:18:22 AM »
Hey George, It is Finikas Dancing Club I think . It seemed to be a bit erratic in its opening hours last year I seem to remember but we ended up in there once or twice. It is on the map which will help you find it.

Thanks Paul
I had a look just after I hit the 'add reply' button. I still don't remember it being called that although there's a sign on the road over the path that leads to it.
Must remember to slow down on the Raki... a bit!!  

george...

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »
all sounds good, to be honest every forum i have looked at only has good thinks to say about plakias

P&D - see you there!!

The only people I know who didn't like Plakias were a couple of friends of mine, who thought it was a bit 'remote'. They didn't drive and didn't use the public transport so they felt a bit hemmed in.
But if you're prepared to get out and about the area, I see no reason why anyone should dislike it. Even if you did stay around Plakias the first time and feel the atmosphere, meet the people eat and drink all day and spent time on the beaches there's no reason not to like it.
Unless of course you're expecting something like Malia, then it's your own fault for not doing a little investigation before you go as you did!

george...

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
first time in plakias
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »

When I was in Plakias this June, the Finikas Club was never open, even at the weekend. I remember it as the Hexagon Club, and then there was the Meltemi Club, and going further back there was the Swing Bar.