login

Author Topic: Articles needed  (Read 9576 times)

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Articles needed
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:30:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

Am hoping to get the Article system (Link Here) up and running with some new articles and comments.

I think it would be a really useful resource, especially with all the new members recently.

If you fancy saying a few words about a particular place (Accom, Taverna, Bar... whatever) please feel free. If the place already exists in the system you can add your views in a 'comment'

Otherwise you can create a new article (Click the New Topic button in the relevant category). I will then authorise the new article as soon as I can. Feel free to add pictures, as always if you want some piccies hosted online I can help. You could always upload to my site if you want (see  this thread ).

I will work on adding links between the places and the Plakias Map, i.e in the article you can click a link to see exactly where it is and when on the map you can click on a link to read its write-up.

I may not be able to do too much this next couple of weeks as I have a business trip but I will certainly be checking in so that I can authorise any new article.

Any questions or suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 01:01:42 PM »
Thanks for the articles George

Offline George

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1375
    • View Profile
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 02:05:27 PM »
I'll add some more when I get back.
I tend to find the bars and restuarants vary year to year so I purposely didn't add any from last year, but will comment about them on my return.

george g...

Offline Mike G

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:11:51 PM »
Quote from: George
I'll add some more when I get back.
I tend to find the bars and restuarants vary year to year so I purposely didn't add any from last year, but will comment about them on my return.

george g...
Agreed. I suspect the tavernas change more from season to season than the accommodation. I can't comment authoritatively on the bars as I never go there.

Mike

Offline Chas

  • Regulars
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 268
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 05:07:29 PM »
Quick thought - what degree of editorial control will be applied?

I ask, because I want to write a very critical piece on one of the well-established, well known restaurants and wouldn't want to think I'd lay anybody else open to legal action (if I go OTT, which is quite possible!).
Chas



Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 07:18:33 PM »
Quote from: Chas
Quick thought - what degree of editorial control will be applied?

I ask, because I want to write a very critical piece on one of the well-established, well known restaurants and wouldn't want to think I'd lay anybody else open to legal action (if I go OTT, which is quite possible!).

Hi Chas,

You can obviously say what you like as you are entiltled to your own opinion, as we all are.

Clearly personal attacks would not be tolerated (not that I think you would) , we are all sensible people here and will respect the opinions of others even if we don't completely agree with them.

So let rip!

Cheers,

Paul

Offline shinaria

  • Regulars
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 279
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 09:19:20 AM »
We had a nice collection of articles dealing with the essential stuff as accomodation, beaches, tavernas, culture and more. Was everything lost during the last fatal crash of the Forum? I could repeat some stories of the last 15 years but don't want to bore somebody to death... Last time there was 2006 [we had our summer-jam in Bavaria this year...] so some things may have changed since then... Never mind...?

shinaria

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 09:52:16 AM »
Quote from: shinaria
We had a nice collection of articles dealing with the essential stuff as accomodation, beaches, tavernas, culture and more. Was everything lost during the last fatal crash of the Forum? I could repeat some stories of the last 15 years but don't want to bore somebody to death... Last time there was 2006 [we had our summer-jam in Bavaria this year...] so some things may have changed since then... Never mind...?

shinaria

Good point, the table may still exist in the backend mySQL database. I will polish up on my SELECT statements and go hunting. If I can extract some data then we can go about putting it back in the new system.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 08:55:11 PM »
Had a bit of a tinker today with the article system. All articles should now have a link that takes you to the relevant place on the Plakias Map.

Have deleted the duplicate Alianthos Beach article from 'The Murrays', have moved your text into a comment on the original article from 'Noopsy', hope you don't mind.

Approved a new article for Hotel Sofia. You can now go and add comments if you want to.

Have got a list of all the old articles & comments from the old system. Will soon get around to adding missing ones back in. The comments will take longer. I may end up asking for your help, if I get a list of all comments, perhaps you could add your own back in (with copy and paste). This will save me having to (1) add them all and (2) edit the database so it appears they came from you and not me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 08:57:07 PM by Ploppy »

Offline Greecemad

  • Regulars
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 345
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 09:08:16 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
Had a bit of a tinker today with the article system. All articles should now have a link that takes you to the relevant place on the Plakias Map.

Have deleted the duplicate Alianthos Beach article from 'The Murrays', have moved your text into a comment on the original article from 'Noopsy', hope you don't mind.

Approved a new article for Hotel Sofia. You can now go and add comments if you want to.

Have got a list of all the old articles & comments from the old system. Will soon get around to adding missing ones back in. The comments will take longer. I may end up asking for your help, if I get a list of all comments, perhaps you could add your own back in (with copy and paste). This will save me having to (1) add them all and (2) edit the database so it appears they came from you and not me.

Ploppy,

Speaking about the Plakias map, have you got the placemark file that I sent you after my trip in June? It doesn't seem to have been added to the map yet.

Greecemad

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 04:06:14 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
Ploppy,

Speaking about the Plakias map, have you got the placemark file that I sent you after my trip in June? It doesn't seem to have been added to the map yet.

Greecemad

Aha it was in my Junk e-mail folder. I'll get to work on it.

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 11:58:47 AM »
OK I have added a number of Tavernas to the list. Haven't commented on most of them but will do at some stage. Get in there and add your comments and ratings.
Will add the bars next.

Have also updated the Map with new places from Greecemad, Thanks!

Offline Chas

  • Regulars
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 268
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 04:50:41 PM »
After taking a quick look, I tweaked a couple of Taverna entries.

There's much more to come (give me time!) but those were just quickie observations.

QUESTION?
I usually put an article up on "Worldisround" for our accommodation, so would it be OK to provide a link, like
Code: [Select]
[url=xx.yy.zz]Worldisround article and pictures[/url] for any pictures?

{Surprise, I've not done that one yet, either!}
Chas



Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »
Quote from: Chas
QUESTION?
I usually put an article up on "Worldisround" for our accommodation, so would it be OK to provide a link, like
Code: [Select]
[url=xx.yy.zz]Worldisround article and pictures[/url] for any pictures?

Why not, go for it.

Offline Chas

  • Regulars
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 268
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Articles needed
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 10:46:43 PM »
Dumb question (since I can't see anything, there) .....

Is there any way to edit an existing "comment"?


I was a bit of a lemon about the Lamon
Chas



Stupidity is its own reward.