login

Author Topic: Santorini  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Santorini
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »
Just back from 2 weeks in Santorini - our first time, but possibly not our last. We didn't know what to expect but hoped to have some of the things we love about Plakias - laid back; friendly; plenty of good walks. We went for the last two weeks of their season, staying in Perissa. It was quiet, which was good (we could imagine it would feel crowded in peak season), but over half the restaurants had closed for our second week - many people go back to the mainland for the winter nonths. Although Santorini has some expensive places to stay for those wanting romantic views over the caldera or of the sunsets, there were also plenty of cheaper places to stay. Overall, we thought it was less developed than Crete, Perissa restaurant prices were similar to Plakias. Bar prices varied considerably: 3 to 4€ for a 500ml Mythos in the bars by the beach but only 2€ away from the beach. Plenty of walks to keep us happy with clearly marked tracks which was useful as we didn't see a decent map in any of the shops. The hourly bus service to the main town of Fira was excellent (even more frequent in summer). As the island is so small, you could run out of new places to explore when returning but fine for a place to chill out. For those interested in ancient history, the ruins at Thira were very interesting as was the pre-history museum in Fira. The archeological site of Akrotiri is closed until June 2011. Beaches are not a patch on some of the beaches in Crete and the water gets deep quite quickly, so not ideal for children. We did find a naturist end of one beach but can't say how acceptable it would be in summer when the beaches are much busier.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Santorini
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »
Sounds like you had a good time! I wonder what the earlier months of the year are like?
Might try it next year for a change. What is the airport like in comparison to Heraklion?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Santorini
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 05:55:22 AM »
My Facebook comment said it all ...
Santorini airport and procedures were how you'd like all airports to be - quick check in, then go outside and have a drink in a local cafe, then wait for the Thomson rep to pop over and say it's time to board - very civilised  

So - just a bit different to Heraklion  
Of course - this was just about the last day of their season so it's bound to be busier in the summer.

Link to Facebook photos for anyone interested.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2950...mp;l=fefc3514ff
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:58:43 AM by Graham_and_Karen »

Offline Gemma1

• View Profile
    • http://
Santorini
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 09:20:12 AM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed Santorini, I've been twice, though only for 3 days at a time, and the views over the caldera are awesome   .  Its good to hear the prices were similar to Plakias as I've always found Santorini to be a bit more expensive, especially in Fira.   I've stayed in Oia both times I've been so might give Perissa a try next time.  Hoping to go back to Santorini in 2012 if we go island hopping again, though we'll probably only stay for a few days and explore some new islands, hopefully Milos and Sikinos
Fantastic photos  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:26:51 AM by Gemma1 »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Santorini
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
Gemma, The prices in Fira and Oia are definitely higher than in Plakias as both places are geared up for the visiting cruise ships and day trips. So, lovely as they are, we'd not stay there - Perissa is cheaper and Fira is only a 35 to 40min. bus ride away.