Author Topic: R.I.P. Sifis: Famous Cretan croc killed by Greek winter – PHOTOS  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Poor Sifis the Cretan Croc is no more  :(
Sifis, the famous Cretan crocodile was found dead on Sunday, probably of cold, in the artificial lake at the dam of Potamon that was his home for at least nine months.

The last time Sifis was seen alive was on 14 February by a vet team.

"The crocodile was found dead on Sunday," regional water management official Vangelis Mamangakis told AFP.

"It will be taken to the natural history museum of Heraklion for tests," he added.

Nickhamed Sifis, the Nile crocodile had assumed nationwide notoriety after being discovered last summer at an artificial lake.

The fearsome two-metre reptile was last seen in mid-February, Mamangakis said, adding that an initial veterinary inspection had pointed to death from cold exposure.

Crete was hit with a cold snap in February, with temperatures in some areas falling close to freezing.

Crowds had flocked to the lake last summer to catch a glimpse of the animal, whose appeal only increased when it repeatedly eluded attempts to trap it.

Local officials say the beast had likely been abandoned by its owner up to two years ago.

Full story and Photographs http://en.enikos.gr/society/26375,RIP-Sifis-Famous-Cretan-croc-killed-by-Greek-winter--PHOTOS.html

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: R.I.P. Sifis: Famous Cretan croc killed by Greek winter – PHOTOS
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:51:19 PM »
Sad news, but probably better for the environment in the long run.

Arnaki

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »
Poor thing.

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »
Blimey, thought this was a fake story many months ago !!