Author Topic: We're back (again) October 2014  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Mr T

• View Profile
    • Email
We're back (again) October 2014
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:39:03 AM »
Hi everyone,
I have enjoyed reading the Forum posts,so thought I'd say hi.
My partner (Annie) & I fell in love with Plakias back in October 2010 & have been back every October since.
We have always stayed at Costas Chrysoulas & came with olympic..good old Les!

We decided to come out in late March this year,to enjoy Crete before the season started..
I hired very cheap flights & a car online from Heraklion airport & 2 nights at hotel Sofia in Plakias for starters.

It was one of the best holidays we've ever had..
The Hotel opened just for us on the first night..we started the season for them & as the only guests had the choice of Room & views.
On the second morning we discovered that there were 2 other German couples also,so we had to share the breakfast!..lol

Gio Ma had just opened which was great for us but not a lot else was tbh.
Walking through the town,everyone was frantically painting their tavernas or businesses.
There were a few Germans but I'm not sure we met any English people,not that it mattered.

We went up to 'on the rocks' to find Nikos painting the tin roof of the bar terrace white..
He was hoping  this would reflect the heat better then the black paint which had always been the case.
He stopped for a beer of course & opened that evening..

The spring flowers were amazing & had there been snow we would have enjoyed seeing it on the mountains...sadly it didn't snow last Winter..

Driving was a pleasure..we went from Plakias to Frangocostello,which is about an hour west & saw only 4 cars coming the other way!.

We stayed in Plakias for 4 nights in all,then 2 nights in a mill & one in Chania.

We're flying out to Chania October 19th & then driving down to stay at 'on the rocks' for five nights before driving west to explore.

If anyone reading this is out at the same time,it would be nice to share a beer & a few stories..or a story & a few beers of course!.

Trevor & Annie.

Offline Cecile-Ines

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: We're back (again) October 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »
Hallo Trevor and Annie, what a lovely story.  I first came to Plakias around 1988 and have visited around 20 times since then, staying for a few months during the winter of 2006 which was really magical.  I'll be around Plakias when you are there, so it would be really great to meet up.  Nearer the time we can decide where to meet for beer/raki/wine etc!  Looking forward to that and have a good flight.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »
I am so jealous.... We managed May this year and had hoped to return Sept/Oct, but unfortunately work commitments mean that this hasn't been possible.

We did visit late April one year, but never as early as March. Just one question if I could?

I can read the weather statistics online, of course, like anybody else, but I would very much appreciate your thoughts on what the weather was actually like, i.e. how did it 'feel'. This is impossible to divine from mere numbers.

Richard

Offline Mr T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:32:30 AM »
Hello Cecille,
It would certainly be nice to meet up for a drink or two..I'll try to contact you whilst we're in Plakias.
We'll look forward to it..

Hi Richard,
In answer to your question ref the weather..
I'm sure there are many folks who belong to the forum who live there but for us the weather was amazing.
Now looking at the averages we were pretty lucky.
We didn't get any rain & the temperature was maybe 22 degs on the beach but obviously it gets dark early so can get a little nippy.
We were in Shorts & tee shirts every day from memory.

The clarity of the atmosphere is very clear..the sun,although not hot is very strong...Annie who has olive skin burnt in 4 hours,which doesn't happen in July in Greece..
Some of the locals warned us of this but only after we'd done it lol.

The funny thing about going so early is the surprise on people's faces when they see two pale English people walking down the road!.
It is a time I always love in Greece...the pre season preparations..the optimism & energy..
I lived a couple of seasons on the mainland,always getting out there March time ready for the Easter celebrations...sadly we missed this earlier in the year because of work commitments..

Anyway...with easy jet & cheap car hire all available at the press of a button,we will be travelling around the Island for some seasons to come..
Always spending a good few days I Plakias,which is almost a second home!