Author Topic: Exchange Rates  (Read 4524 times)

Offline bwian

• View Profile
Exchange Rates
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:08:21 AM »
What sort of rates can you buy Euros for in Plakias at the moment? Are we better off buying Streling, or Euro Travellers Cheques?

bwian

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exchange Rates
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:36:45 PM »
If you have an Abbey or Nationwide debit card, they are the cheapest ways of paying when abroad. I remember the rates, last year seemed reasonable but will get the the Euros we need in the UK, using the MoneySavingExpert site to find out what the best deal is just prior to going.

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Exchange Rates
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
.... will get the the Euros we need in the UK, using the MoneySavingExpert site to find out what the best deal is just prior to going.
....And then check with your local Co-op Travel shop where they try to beat ANY deal (well, that's true of the Stretford branch and they say it's national).
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exchange Rates
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:59:58 PM »
If you have an Abbey or Nationwide debit card, they are the cheapest ways of paying when abroad. I remember the rates, last year seemed reasonable but will get the the Euros we need in the UK, using the MoneySavingExpert site to find out what the best deal is just prior to going.
Using the Nationwide card will get you the commercial rather than tourist rate which will be much better.

Some Post Offices offer a much better rate than others. When I bought about a month ago the Stevenage PO was around €1.10 and the Hitchin one around €1.04.

Lastly, don't even think of buying € airside at Gatwick airport.

Mike

Offline bwian

• View Profile
Exchange Rates
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Using the Nationwide card will get you the commercial rather than tourist rate which will be much better.

Some Post Offices offer a much better rate than others. When I bought about a month ago the Stevenage PO was around €1.10 and the Hitchin one around €1.04.

Lastly, don't even think of buying € airside at Gatwick airport.

Mike

Thanks!!

All I need to do now is get there and spend it!!

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exchange Rates
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
If you have an Abbey credit card or Nationwide debit or credit card, they are the cheapest ways of paying when abroad. I remember the rates, last year seemed reasonable but will get the the Euros we need in the UK, using the MoneySavingExpert site to find out what the best deal is just prior to going.

Correcting my earlier quote. Just checked and Abbey Debit card is actually one of the worst. It's the Abbey credit card that is good to use for June and July (normal 3% charge waived) . Best of all though is to use Nationwide Debit card if you already have an account or have a Nationwide savings a/c. All info available from the MoneySavingExpert site
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:41:46 PM by Graham_and_Karen »

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Exchange Rates
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:22:24 AM »
If you have an Abbey credit card or Nationwide debit or credit card, they are the cheapest ways of paying when abroad. I remember the rates, last year seemed reasonable but will get the the Euros we need in the UK, using the MoneySavingExpert site to find out what the best deal is just prior to going.

Correcting my earlier quote. Just checked and Abbey Debit card is actually one of the worst. It's the Abbey credit card that is good to use for June and July (normal 3% charge waived) . Best of all though is to use Nationwide Debit card if you already have an account or have a Nationwide savings a/c. All info available from the MoneySavingExpert site

Nationwide in our experience is definately the best, used for 2 years now, enjoy the spending! We are off on Tuesday & can't wait!

Rowena & Carl

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exchange Rates
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:24 AM »
To the best of my belief the only difference between the Nationwide debit and credit cards is that for the latter there is a charge for cash if you use it to draw cash out of an ATM. For purchases they are the same, i.e. no loading for use in the EU. The relative rate they give you for purchases is far better than any I have ever seen to buy €.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exchange Rates
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
To the best of my belief the only difference between the Nationwide debit and credit cards is that for the latter there is a charge for cash if you use it to draw cash out of an ATM. For purchases they are the same, i.e. no loading for use in the EU. The relative rate they give you for purchases is far better than any I have ever seen to buy €.

Mike
True. The other benefit of using the debit card at ATMs and paying with cash is that then, the restaurants don't  have to pay the credit card fee.