Author Topic: Olympic/Germania cancelled flight(s)  (Read 2818 times)

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Olympic/Germania cancelled flight(s)
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:34:59 PM »
I have just had an email from Olympic about a change of flight to Iraklion on 6th. October, from Gatwick, saying Olympics' allocation of seats on the flights have been cancelled!! Good news however is that we will be (should be) on the Thomson flight scheduled out at 07.30, so we could get an extra couple of hours in Plakias before we need to eat. (hope there is enough Mythos in resort for this unplanned extra spree). Yesterdays Thomson flight used a new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which would be another bonus for me, can I wish for a taxi transfer as well, or is that too much?
Can anyone shed any light on this although I will be contacting Olympic on Thursday, wondering if Germania are still in business, or have Olympic fallen out with another airline, like happened with Monarch a few years ago.
Nearly time, only a few weeks to go.............

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Olympic/Germania cancelled flight(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »
I have spoken to Olympic, and the explanation is 'flight consolidation' meaning there were too few people on the aeroplane to make economic sense, so Germania have cancelled the flight.
Not enough of you are going to Plakias this October!!!!!!
Still, only 5 weeks to go Wohooo!

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »
Following on from this, for 2016 Olympic's Gatwick flights (they did not seem to know if this would be Germania or Small Planet) don't start until May 24, which will be too late for some at it will clash with the schools' half-terms. Bristol and Birmingham flights start earlier. Similarly I think they finish earlier than previous years although I can't give you the exact dates. Similar things are happening with Olympic flights to Kos.

Sadly for Dora and her studios, you can't book before May 24th. Olympic will allow Gatwick travellers to go to other accommodations from May 10th on either Thomas Cook or Thomson flights, but £206 will be added to the basic cost to cover taxi transfers.

I have holidayed in Plakias with Olympic for many years now in the middle two weeks of May and many others have as well and will be as disappointed as I am. I'm sure many with businesses in Plakias supporting the holiday trade would like an extension to the season rather than a reduction.

Olympic has told me that they may reconsider if they get enough requests from people wanting to go earlier. It may also be that Olympic will extend the season through easyJet when their summer schedule is released.

Altogether not good news.

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
Why not try going independently Mike?
I've been to Plakias a dozen times over the past six years and never travelled with Olympic.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:19:18 PM »
Why not try going independently Mike?
I've been to Plakias a dozen times over the past six years and never travelled with Olympic.
Mainly the cost Bertie. Last time I costed it (admittedly when the £ was a bit weaker against the € last year) it came in at about £900 for 2 weeks independently versus the £340 I paid Olympic. If ever I decided to do as you suggest I would go to my other favourite resort, Tingaki on Kos, which is close to the airport, making a taxi transfer much cheaper.

The difference for couples is less marked but for those going singly it is a massive difference. There was a thread on this forum a few years ago when all the costs of Olympic versus independent were gone into ad infinitum.