Author Topic: Dentist  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dentist
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:26:23 PM »
Looking forward to our trip to Plakias on Tuesday but annoyingly, both Karen and I have toothache that our own dentist hasn't fixed. Painkillers are just about working but i was wondering whether there's a dentist in Plakias or whether we'd need to go to Rethymnon. Hope it won't be necessary to go while on holiday, but at the moment the odds are about 50:50 :(

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dentist
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 08:01:31 PM »
There is one, up the road from Plakias on the right hand side. The only appointment times are 'tooth hurtee'
But yes you can find one.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »
Rakki I'll cure any pain known to man or women for that matter!!

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »
Thanks for the info, Barny - and I see that your jokes are up? to your usual standard! lol. Raki will be taken regularly, Spotttttt - so long as I'm not prescribed more antibiotics

Stick of Rock

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »
Ali is the expert on this subject .... can U get a personal message to her.
I remember when she came off her scooter and received big tooth problems but ended up with her lovely smile back

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »
The dentist here is highly recommended .

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »
Really don't want to lecture, but please don't rely on hope, painkillers and antibiotics. I have spent nearly thirty years in dental research in academia and industry, and suppose I know what I am talking about, but despite this, I have done so myself and regretted it.

Please see a dentist again before you leave, and if you don't, PLEASE go straight to the dentist on arrival in Plakias.

One of the antibiotics commonly prescribed for infected teeth rules out drinking (are you on this already, metronidazole?). Even if you ignore your physician's advice and do drink, you will feel like absolute cr@p. Can't think of anything worse while in Plakias!

Whatever, best wishes for a happy holiday in Plakias, very jealous, had hoped to go this month but isn't going to happen.

(Dr) Richard
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:13:29 PM by Richard »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
Lecture accepted and noted, Dr Richard. I have had a course of Metronidazole and was very good - no alcohol while I was taking it or for two days after O:). I did see the emergency dentist today who backed up my own dentist's opinion that any infection is slight. I have probably got a slight fracture which isn't helping the pain but I'll be getting a crown as soon as we get back from holiday. Luckily, this time I'm on Amoxicillin so I'll allow myself the odd drink or two  :)

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »
Was recommended to a dentist in Spilli where there is also an excellent health centre but my experience of the medical facilities in Plakias was also excellent. If you cant find a dentist check with Dr Alexandrakis at the Health Centre. He diagnosed a blocked salivary gland for me a few years ago and prescribed all that I needed. His care was amazing.......so much so that I would have paid to return to Crete for a follow up visit as my local services couldn't help. Please don't let tooth ache spoil your visit and see what Ali at the supermarket recommends too. Hope it doesn't cause too much of a problem.

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 04:47:40 PM »
Is there anything that Plakias doesn't have? It is becoming ever more apparent (if it wasn't already so) that Plakias is the place to live ALL the time, not just for 1 or 2 visits a year.

Offline Mr T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 10:12:25 AM »
I had an absyss whilst over in March & was told about the village dentist..
A charming young Lady..
I was dealt with straight away...given anti biotics (which were alcohol friendly) & sent on my way.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I'm unlucky enough to suffer again whilst away..

I did try the beer..red wine & Raki medicine first..which sadly didn't work!

Have a great time..we're out Oct 19th

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »
Glad to hear that all is (relatively) OK. Minor cracks can be very painful but difficult to 'diagnose', the amoxicillin may merely be a precaution, it is a fairly generic antibiotic.

Have a drink for me, if you will!

Kalinixta

Richard