login

Author Topic: Wind!  (Read 2298 times)

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
Wind!
« on: April 11, 2016, 08:45:02 PM »
When is the best time of year to avoid the really high winds you sometimes get in Plakias? We've been coming since '92 and have just been charged with giving advice to a friend who plans visiting this summer. We would reckon September.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wind!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
Unpredictable is the word.
There again, I've been going the first two weeks in August for a few years and there has been little or no wind but.......
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
Not sure about July or August but I'm afraid September can be just as windy at times. June might be an option...before the land has had the time to warm up fully.

Offline rupertbearNKTFVX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:59:25 AM »
I have been going over 20 years, May, June, Sept & Oct , always have some wind in that time

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »
I'd agree with "unpredictable". 

We generally go the last two weeks in August, which usually has some spells of strong wind; one holiday it was extremely windy for 10 days out of 14.  We have been the last week in October, when we had glorious sunshine and mostly flat calm seas - gorgeous.  We've been for two weeks in July with no wind.  Last year it was early August and only one day of strong wind.  In the summer months, the temperatures are oppressive when there is no wind.

It is as difficult to forecast as the UK weather.

Try the weather link the Useful Links on this site which gives data for last year including the wind, and there are some other weather sites with historical data, but I am not sure whether that records the wind speed.

Arnaki