Author Topic: Newcastle to Crete  (Read 5174 times)

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« on: August 20, 2008, 12:20:53 PM »
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:24:40 PM by Susan K »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »
Anybody else had problems with foriegn airlines flying out of the uk?

Are they (Viking Airlines and maybe/probably others) covered by our regulations and proceedures regarding passengers.
I think I'd be very apprehensive about booking with one!!

george g...

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:00:43 PM »
Quote from: Susan K
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7571971.stm

I would have been furious  

There is no sense to the arithmatic. Luggage for 150 people equals about 3,000 kilos. 70 people, with hand and hold baggage would average out at around 7,000 kilos.

Shame we don't run the US system where if the carrier cannot take all the passengers it must conduct a "Dutch auction", offering to pay cash to people who will accept travelling later and has to keep upping the bid until there are enough takers.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »
I've never heard anything like this, to tell 70 people they can't travel with their luggage is ludicrious. Maybe there were a lot of overweight people on the plane, but surely they must average out the weight of the passengers against their luggage allocation.
They should know that the aircraft can cope with a certain weight load and get to the destination that the passengers have paid for.

Crazy! If it happened in the UK there'd be uproar and the papers would have a field day. What, with the new baggage allowance that's just been introduced this year, are the airlines up to?
Ok a lighter load evidently saves fuel, but if the UK airlines start down this road, they're going to lose a lot of custom.

If I pay for a ticket on a plane and have my allocated baggage allowance. I will expect to be on that plane and get to where I'm going!!! With my luggage!!!

george g...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:04:38 AM by George »

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:35:43 PM »
George it did happen in the UK, it was Newcastle airport.

They did have an option to refuel in verona but decided against it - why? Yes it would have meant a delay but it least they would still have their luggage.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 08:03:23 AM »
George it did happen in the UK, it was Newcastle airport.

They did have an option to refuel in verona but decided against it - why? Yes it would have meant a delay but it least they would still have their luggage.
Yes I realise that Susan, I meant if it was a UK airline involved!

george g...

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »
Sorry George  

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:49 AM »
Sorry George  
I'm a gullible man Susan and you're a woman (I hope), I forgive you!!  

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 01:13:20 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
If we had been on that flight at Newcastle we would've rallied ALL passengers together to refuse to travel without baggage. One can achieve so much if one sticks together in situations like this  
I agree this is a major foul up by XL's carrier, Viking, but your response is surprising. Few would want to travel in an aircraft too overloaded to take off safely, especially after yesterday's tragic news from Madrid. The alternative (get a larger aircraft) would have taken hours (days?).

Quote from: George
I've never heard anything like this, to tell 70 people they can't travel with their luggage is ludicrious. Maybe there were a lot of overweight people on the plane, but surely they must average out the weight of the passengers against their luggage allocation.

What, with the new baggage allowance that's just been introduced this year, are the airlines up to?
Ok a lighter load evidently saves fuel, but if the UK airlines start down this road, they're going to lose a lot of custom.

george g...

Re. George's comment about overweight passengers, I imagine they assume an average weight per passenger (as they don't weigh bodies, only luggage) with hopefully a decent safety factor built in. I don't think the new 15kg "free" limit has anything to do with saving fuel (this is just an excuse); it is to do with extra revenue, knowing that most will pay it.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newcastle to Crete
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Quote from: George

What, with the new baggage allowance that's just been introduced this year, are the airlines up to?

george g...

Re. George's comment about overweight passengers, I imagine they assume an average weight per passenger (as they don't weigh bodies, only luggage) with hopefully a decent safety factor built in. I don't think the new 15kg "free" limit has anything to do with saving fuel (this is just an excuse); it is to do with extra revenue, knowing that most will pay it.

Mike
And 'Most' not being me. I'm just cutting back, don't take a lot anyway!!

george g...