Author Topic: June holiday report  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
June holiday report
« on: June 16, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
Just back from 11 day stay in Plakias and these are our reflections on that visit.
They are our thoughts and are subjective and may not coincide with others experiences at Plakias, but for what its worth :

First things first:

One of the best holidays we have had in Plakias.
Very few negative thoughts or experiences.
Weather and accommodation and eating our were all top class.

We flew from Leeds Bradford with Ryanair.
Ryanair were as advertised.
Leeds Bradford airport was a shambles.
Actively looking at using Manchester airport next year.

Picked up a car at the airport and a leisurely drive down to Plakias.
As usual, stayed with George at Creta Mare.
Can not recommend this place highly enough.
Both he and Joanna run a top class operation.

Now to our thoughts on the town:

As stated in other posts, the mix of nationalities this year is much different than previous years.
Much higher proportion of German, Dutch, French, Italian etc.
But this is not because there are more of these nationalities.
It is because the Brits are not there in any significant numbers.
I leave other to debate the reason for this.
But this mix of nationalities was fine with us, as we enjoy a varied mix of people and languages.

For the first week the town was very quiet and barely 60 % full, if that.
Although there did seem to be more people about at the end of our stay.
No problem with getting a table any night in any Tavernas.
Even the most popular had plenty of room and no need to pre book tables anywhere.
Most only 75% full at best.

Same can be said with the beach and sunbeds.
No pressure at all with these anywhere we went (others will have a better view on those at the far end, although these did not looked over stressed ?)
We have never seen the beach or sunbeds so quiet.
Huge gaps on the beach between the stands of sunbeds with no one there for most of the time.

The  weather was on the whole excellent.
One cloudy day and one very windy day but apart from that, very good.

As to the town its self, then very little has changed.

The main changes come in the town periphery:
Down near the far end and running from Pelemgrenos (someone will correct the spelling) right down to Ammos, a major building site is underway.
Don't know what is being built but it is going to be big and is well under way.
And it goes a long way back.
How long before the whole front is built up ?

As I said in another post, new beach bar built about 75 yards up from the existing one.

Also building work next to Creta Mare where a block of 4 or 5 new apartments are part built.
The noise from concrete wagons and building trucks was a nuisance.

There is also a sign with 15 house to be built on the hillside at the top of the road which runs up past Cosy Corner but don't know if or when this will happen.

Plenty of "for sale" signs at various plats of land about town.
But as long as building in the town fits in with current design/standards, this may be a good thing ?

These are observations, not criticisms and just a report on changes to  the town from our visit last year.

We will be back in Plakias from 3rd September for another 11 days.
Usual car hire,usual place to stay, usual Tavernas, usual sun beds.
Boring, us ?

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: June holiday report
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »
Thank you for this review, very succinct. We have to expect and accept changes. Plakias will always hold our hearts what ever happens.

Offline micklfc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
Will be returning to Plakias on September 3rd for two weeks as usual & looking forward to meet up with old friends & new & spending a lot of time at the bar with Angelos at Costas's where many of the English congregate and hope there are quiz nights again.

Mick & Lynn from Liverpool

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:02:39 PM »
Excellent update Daniel, thank you for whetting all our appetites and letting us know what's new and what's changed !

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »
Hi Daniel

Pleased you had a good holiday. I was just wondering if with the construction work going on it made the bit of beach near by and the Paligremnos Noisy as we have most of our lunches there?

Thanks

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
Susan:
A lot of work going on and more to come.
BUT:
We did not find that there was any noise problems from this work.
I think that is far enough along from and back from the Hotel and the sun beds to be quite acceptable.
And no great problem with consruction vehicles either, so don't worry and just enjoy your time at

I did not mention another change which has happened in town.
The beach area along the town frontage is now all sand and being well used for sunbathing and swimming.
A major plus for the resort.

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »
The sand at the town end has all come from the far end, very difficult to get in the water now, all large stones and an uneven sandstone? Ledge to negotiate now

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 04:31:39 PM »
I noticed this at the far end. Boulders all along the entry to the sea apart from one man-made channel, "ooh ah ouch" as you enter and the sea fairly chilly for mid June too. Two years ago the sky was full blue every day but this year the odd partly cloudy muggy day and lots of little black stinging/biting flies (like corn flies). I was constantly attacked by the blighters at Souda but was informed they were everywhere (a first for me).

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 01:04:42 PM »

As stated in other posts, the mix of nationalities this year is much different than previous years.
Much higher proportion of German, Dutch, French, Italian etc.
But this is not because there are more of these nationalities.
It is because the Brits are not there in any significant numbers.
I leave other to debate the reason for this.
But this mix of nationalities was fine with us, as we enjoy a varied mix of people and languages.

I'm sure Olympic is sending a lot less people this year owing to the dearth of transfers. Next year all Olympic clients will be making their own way from the airport. Olympic seems to have forgotten that most people's idea of a "package" holiday is flight+accommodation+transfer+rep. I hope it doesn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised if Olympic drops Plakias.

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »
Our thoughts exactly, come 2021 season the only way to come here will be to book direct with the room owners and make your own way here. Not too bad for all of us repeat customers that know the score, but will not promote the village (should probably say town now, with all the development going on) for new British customers
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 04:11:08 PM by Colin & Sandra »

Offline ian s

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 03:55:06 PM »
Yes, I suspect Olympic might pull out which would be a shame.  First brought us here in 1989 I think when I plucked Plakias out of the Olympic brochure never having been to Greece before.  Have come  independently now for the best part of 20 years.  Might cost a little more but picking your own accommodation and getting your choice of room is a big plus.