login

Author Topic: 2004 Offerings - none from 1st Choice  (Read 5520 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
2004 Offerings - none from 1st Choice
« on: May 03, 2003, 05:33:33 PM »
Just seen the 2004 First Choice Greece brochure (I like to book WELL ahead) and they make no mention of Plakias as a resort in Crete. Looks as though I shall be joining the independent travel brigade to Plakias. First Choice was an ideal carrier for us people using Newcastle airport - until now difficult to beat their prices from that airport.

John R

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 06:07:17 PM »
Well John, that is a shock.
First Choice have been in Plakias for ages, while many others have come and gone.
This has serious implications for those of us who usually use the package operators - I think we'll need to keep an eye on the situation - and see what news we can pick up from the reps in the village.
John - Ostraco

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 08:33:19 PM »
Well it seems the news is not all bad.

Although Plakias does not appear in the first edition of the First Choice brochure, I checked with a travel agent, and hear they WILL still be going to Plakias next year. I had a quick look at their website too - and there are at least different places to stay.

By the way - Olympic have really broken all records this year - their  2004 brochure is also available.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 08:34:05 PM by ostraco »
John - Ostraco

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 10:41:42 PM »
Thanks for that info. However I have already decided to join the independent brigade. Already booked flights from Glasgow (daylight filghts) for end of September 2004. Despite your comment to the contrary in another recent thread I think I can break even and and choose from the various accommodations we are now familiar with (too much choice actually.

John R

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 11:59:18 PM »
I'm sure we'll all be most interested to hear how it goes John.
John - Ostraco

Offline Karen T

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 10:31:03 AM »
To be honest with you both, since I joined the independent brigade I have found it far and away better than travelling with a package company.  Sure it can be a bit more expensive but with so many places to stay in Plakias it's daft to be limited to just what the brochures offer you.  And with going so often anyway, I'm sure you, as we, know the people to ring to book accomodation, cars etc.  I like to travel independently anyway as I always feel like cattle as you're herded to the transfer bus - OK if it's your first time but I much prefer to go straight to an awaiting taxi and not have to worry about whether someone on the list is messing about or waiting for cases or whatever.

If you don't find your favourite accomodation listed in next year's brochures, take the plunge and go it alone - I can guarantee you won't look back!

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 03:07:46 PM »
I'm having to eat humble pie and must remember in future to look before one leaps   . After proudly saying I was joining the independent brigade (had booked flight) John's (Ostraco's) remarks made me investigate the First Choice web site immediately after writing to this forum yesterday. To my amazement, not only was Plakias now featured - as John had said - but First Choice are giving a tremendous discount right now for 2004 holidays and I found that I could get the whole holiday for the cost of our flight alone. Feeling a bit stupid I decided to cut my losses and I have cancelled my flight from Glasgow (lost the deposit of course   :"( ) and booked into Stella Pension yet again with First Choice. This has proved much cheaper overall even allowing for the lost lost flight deposit    . Thanks John for alerting me to First Choice now continuing with Plakias. I don't think the 2nd edition  brochure is out yet (?) but I would almost certainly have missed the current discount if not the availability of the holiday as a whole.

Ah well - I may yet go independent  one year but I just cannot ignore the First Choice current offer - available now for hols between may 2004 and end of September 2004.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 07:19:33 PM »
I can see the appeal of going it alone.

However, I just want to be in Plakias - and am not too bothered about where we stay - as long as it's clean and not too far away from the centre.

It's worth looking at the prices carefully every year - having been loyal Olympic customers for the past few years, maybe First Choice might get a chance next year.
John - Ostraco

Offline RobM.

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - rmontier2002@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2003, 12:50:10 PM »
There are good package deals about - my last two visits to Greece cost me £300 for 2 weeks self catering with no single supplement and free insurance!  Baaaaaaaaaaargain!

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2003, 01:04:14 PM »
Yes, you're right Rob - just have to keep your eyes open.

It's more difficult though when you have a large party, specific dates, or certain accommodation you'd rather use.
John - Ostraco