Author Topic: 2009 season  (Read 35477 times)

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
Sorry about your kitty Heather. We lost one of ours last year, I cried for days  but the happy memories are still there.

Quote from: travellingran
ps. My older cat died. I will tell more later.

Thankyou also. He was a big lumbering fluffy old cat with a bad temper, but I loved him to bits.

RIP Bengy.

Heather.

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
2009 season
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »

[/quote]

Hi Kerstin,

I am very pleased you had a good holiday in Plakias , as usual.

I will be there next week and expect the usual peaceful good holiday. Let's hope that this year I don't spend half my time in Hospital or at the doctor's office.

Will write again when I return.

Bye for now,

Heather.

ps. My older cat died. I will tell more later.
[/quote]

Hi Heather,

unfortunately, I cannot send a private message. I do not know the reason. It does not works.
I am so sorry that Bengy died. I feel with you and I can remember on the death of my lovely black cat.

Kerstin

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2009, 08:57:13 PM »
Have a great holiday, Heather.    BTW - you deserve a medal for still using Windows 98. Having said that, I've probably been brainwashed into believing that newer=better.  

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Have a great holiday, Heather.    BTW - you deserve a medal for still using Windows 98. Having said that, I've probably been brainwashed into believing that newer=better.  

Thankyou G and K,

Don't mock!! I had to be cajoled (blackmailed) into trading up from windows 95.!!
There is a more practical and essential explanation. I am an OAP on a pension and my priorities thus far are :- 2 holidays a year and continue to run my nice car. Nothing else  yet has got in the way of these priorities.
You are right though that newer is better - this old computer has to be pedalled really hard. It crashes , has got bugs galore and a mind of its own. If the need to play with a REAL machine takes me, I go down to the library (OAP's price). Their machines are so fast that I get frightened.
Mine is slowly grinding to a halt with malicious script writing. I will have a chat with one of the very clever young men who have set up computer repair shops and when they have stopped laughing I will ask them to look out for a reasonable second hand thing .
I forgot to tell you that my monitor on button is held in with gaffa tape !

I'll just take the medal shall I ?

Cheers , Heather.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
2009 season
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2009, 10:50:31 PM »
We are going to Plakias a week tomorrow leaving from Manchester - I was going to look out for a gentleman in Cretan dress on the plane, but it seems Harribobs will be on a different plane.  Our plane is timed much better; we hope to be there in time for an evening stroll, an ouzo and meal.  We are a family with a 10 year old, if you see us around.  We first went to Plakias on a day visit from Georgioupolis in 1992 on our honeymoon, and returned for a week's holiday two years ago.  My daughter says it is her favourite place - when asked why, the answer was "Doughnuts".

To continue the off-topic theme, I have moved straight from Windows 95 to Vista - how's that for upgrading?

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2009, 08:41:59 AM »
Quote from: Arnaki
To continue the off-topic theme, I have moved straight from Windows 95 to Vista - how's that for upgrading?

Big mistake in my opinion. Bought a very powerful laptop with vista and it was awful and would not run some of the essential  applications I needed. I bought another very basic laptop (much less powerful) with XP - they still supplied that OS and it goes beautifully and runs all the applications that I need. Vista laptop gathering dust.

John R

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2009, 08:55:53 AM »
Quote from: John R

Big mistake in my opinion. Bought a very powerful laptop with vista and it was awful and would not run some of the essential  applications I needed. I bought another very basic laptop (much less powerful) with XP - they still supplied that OS and it goes beautifully and runs all the applications that I need. Vista laptop gathering dust.

John R

Poor old Windows Vista, always getting a bad rep  

To be fair I like parts of it but I prefer XP in other parts (and Windows 7 in others!)

Windows 7 is definitely better in most respects if thats any consolation.

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2009, 09:01:01 AM »
Quote from: John R

John R

Am very interested in what you all have to say about upgrading my PC.
However - I can see myself being told off for going off topic !
Maybe all you knowledgable people could start a new strand and put me on the right track with a new computer in mind.
John R has suggested almost exactly the basic laptop that my daughter suggested.
I will look into it but any good advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers All,
Heather. T/Gran

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2009, 09:31:59 AM »
We are going to Plakias a week tomorrow leaving from Manchester - I was going to look out for a gentleman in Cretan dress on the plane, but it seems Harribobs will be on a different plane.

they won't let me take my rifle on the plane anymore  , so i travel much more casual these days
although i have been known to go a little 'native'

Stick of Rock

2009 season
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2009, 11:16:03 AM »
Hey Kerstin
Thanks so much for your lovely post it really took me back there .... roll on September
Good to hear Freddy is still in employment. Did you see if Emma was working?
But sorry to hear about your cat. I cry more over the loss of my cats than my relatives I'm ashamed to say
You too Ploppy. Did you get a new companion for your other little one yet?

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »
Quote from: travellingran
Maybe all you knowledgable people could start a new strand and put me on the right track with a new computer in mind.
John R has suggested almost exactly the basic laptop that my daughter suggested.

Cheers All,
Heather. T/Gran

Hi Heather

You could try a refurbished laptop, such as the ones available here which seem pretty reasonably priced... Refurbed Laptops.

Dell laptops are pretty good so you should be okay with it. Don't have any experience with the retailer though.

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
Quote from: Stick of Rock
But sorry to hear about your cat. I cry more over the loss of my cats than my relatives I'm ashamed to say

Yes we got another kitty a few months after we lost Kyma. We called him Kori and he has just had his first birthday. Kali just about tolerates him  

Isn't it terrible, I have only ever lost two grandparents, we weren't hugely close and yes when Kyma died it knocked me for six, the suddeness didn't help.

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy

Yes we got another kitty a few months after we lost Kyma. We called him Kori and he has just had his first birthday. Kali just about tolerates him  

Isn't it terrible, I have only ever lost two grandparents, we weren't hugely close and yes when Kyma died it knocked me for six, the suddeness didn't help.

Thankyou all for your kind thoughts re. Bengy.

I do have two other cats at the moment , one I foster until she is ready for re-homing and another big chap with attitude called Sammy. I could write a book about his antics ! He is rescued from a horrible situation as have been all the others.
Sammy will never be re-homed so he is here to stay. With a few exceptions I take on older cats that are often overlooked so the death of one or the other is a fact of life.
Sammy is missing Bengy, wandering around the house and garden looking for him.
 It does not make it any easier though. I grow to love them despite everything and miss them deeply when they die.
Bengy died as a 90% result of my neighbour's actions. I will never forgive him (neighbour) or his family as long as I live. They have never said sorry nor even acknowledged his demise.

It is a different kind of grief with dogs or cats or any pet for that matter. We are always left wondering if there was more we could have done.

But now to see to Sammy who is at the door howling (yowling ?) for attention.!
Thanks again all,
Heather.

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
Quote from: Graeme

Hi T/Gran  

I'll start a new thread and with help from me and the others we'll get you sorted  

One solution could be to take one of my old PC's, both of which run XP and I would'nt want anything for it ....But first some questions which I'll post on the new thread  

Gimme an hour as I've a few jobs to do and I'll post later.

Thankyou kindly,
Heather.

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
2009 season
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2009, 09:50:11 AM »
Hey Kerstin
Thanks so much for your lovely post it really took me back there .... roll on September
Good to hear Freddy is still in employment. Did you see if Emma was working?

Yes, we saw Emma. She works in the Livicon during the day and she looks very nice.