Author Topic: Heraklion Bus Station to Heraklion Airport  (Read 5841 times)

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Heraklion Bus Station to Heraklion Airport
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »
Has anyone made this journey by bus? If so, could they tell me:
a. where can you buy a ticket for the bus; and
b. on walking up to the main road leading to the airport (I believe it's called Ikarou) do you turn left or right to reach the nearest bus stop.

Thanks in anticipation.  

Noopsy
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:53:21 PM by Noopsy 500 »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:26:10 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500
b. on walking up to the main road leading to the airport (I believe it's called Ikarou) do you turn left or right to reach the nearest bus stop.

Thanks in anticipation.  

Noopsy

Noopsy,

Yes, about two weeks ago.

I presume you are talking about the bus station where you arrive if you have come from Rethymnon. I think what you are talking about is standing facing the sea, turning right then turning right again to meet the main road along which the airport bus runs. I have never done this, but I have done it in the reverse direction. What I have done is face the sea, turn left then up some steps and up the hill to Eleftherias Square and catch the airport bus from there. (It's a bit of climb if you are dragging a case or carrying a rucksack). However, after many trips in and out of Iraklion by bus I think I have now worked out the best way to do this journey. When you board the bus from Rethymnon, tell the driver you are not going to the bus station so that your luggage gets put on the right hand side of the bus. Get off the bus near bus station B, where the buses to Matala etc leave from (this is where it crosses the city walls as it enters Iraklion). You can get the airport bus from the same bus stop here, but you get tickets from a kiosk across the road.

Hope this helps.

Greecemad

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 08:34:54 AM »
Quote from: Greecemad
Quote from: Noopsy 500

Thanks in anticipation.  

Noopsy

Noopsy,

Yes, about two weeks ago.

I presume you are talking about the bus station where you arrive if you have come from Rethymnon. I think what you are talking about is standing facing the sea, turning right then turning right again to meet the main road along which the airport bus runs. I have never done this, but I have done it in the reverse direction. What I have done is face the sea, turn left then up some steps and up the hill to Eleftherias Square and catch the airport bus from there. (It's a bit of climb if you are dragging a case or carrying a rucksack). However, after many trips in and out of Iraklion by bus I think I have now worked out the best way to do this journey. When you board the bus from Rethymnon, tell the driver you are not going to the bus station so that your luggage gets put on the right hand side of the bus. Get off the bus near bus station B, where the buses to Matala etc leave from (this is where it crosses the city walls as it enters Iraklion). You can get the airport bus from the same bus stop here, but you get tickets from a kiosk across the road.

Hope this helps.

Greecemad

And if you end up on Eleftherias Square then tickets are obtained from the kiosk by the bus stop (although I don't remember seeing a sign saying so). The bus service is very frequent. Stops around midnight.

Stuart

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »
Thanks Greecemad and Stuart.  I will try that.  Hopefully I will be able to save myself that trek up to the main road.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος