Author Topic: The 2020 season  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
The 2020 season
« on: May 21, 2020, 07:39:09 AM »
So, an announcement by the Greek Government has just said that international tourist will be let back in from July 1st.

More of the restrictions are being lifted on the 1st June with Taverners being allowed to open but with new rules

Places here are still mainly shut with the exception of the Corner souvlaki bar (thank god I love his food) the other souvlaki bar run by Adonis grocery stores and Pharmacy’s.

Speaking to a few Taverner owners they are planning to open early to mid-June, there are a few day tourist about but these are Greeks from Rethymno and surrounding villages.

I here there might be some sort of seating restrictions in Taverners so there will be fewer tables and you will have to be taken to a table based on the restrictions rather than find your own seat.

The big hotels here being, Hapimag, Alianthos Gardens and Beach are not opening this season because of the staff, I have not heard anything about the new development at Paligremnos so am not sure if they ill open or not.

A big problem they have is staff, they are not sure how many people will come and are not expecting to get even slightly busy until August so do they employ any staff ? , they can not afford there wages if they are not busy and once they start employing them they have to make winter payments as well, so I think most are not planning too and will just rely on family members, also some of the staff are not from Greece so can not get here anyway.

The mood here is general caution bordering on concern, they need to make a living but are concerned that the influx of international travellers will bring the virus to our shores. So, don’t be surprised if you don’t get the normal hugs and kisses from your locals that you would normally get, its not that they don’t want you here its just they are a bit scared.

The last week has been very hot with virtually no wind making the sea more like a giant lake, its been great for the locals to be able to enjoy the sea the beaches and go fishing and local boat tours as normally they would be busy working so everything has the up-side.

Other news is the new super market net to Blu is nearly finished and it is very big and apart from a few smaller constructions here and there that’s it, so you will find Plakias pretty much as you left it last time you were here.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Re: The 2020 season
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 11:50:05 AM »
I'm still hoping to get to Plakias this year. I had to stay home last year, so really need to get back to my favourite place. Keeping a careful eye on the news reports - and crossing my fingers!
John - Ostraco

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 12:01:11 PM »
"you will find Plakias pretty much as you left it last time you were here."

Suits me! Booked for end Aug and early Oct, fingers and everything else crossed...

Offline Noggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:21:57 AM »
Thanks for the update! We'd booked 3 weeks at that new hotel for the end of August (Algeria Baech hotel?). Here in Norway the government has effectly banned anyone from travelling internationally until at least the 20 August. If you do travel then insurance won't be valid and the government has said that they won't help you if you get in trouble. You also have to quarantine for 14 days when you get back. I'm hoping they'll have a change of heart before then as I've already had my 8 weeks holiday to Crete in the spring cancelled. Today, for the first time this year here, the temperature has reached double figures! 10 degrees C! Woohoo!

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 03:35:04 PM »
22C and sunny here. Almost makes me feel like staying at home instead. Almost....

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
Sorry to out trump you, but it was high 30s here last week !

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 11:06:34 PM »
Bah!! Outdone... I'd say too hot but it'd sound like sour grapes!

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 08:31:31 AM »
Just an update to my main post, I have now heard that Hapimag, Alianthos Gardens and Beach are now opening this season, so this is good news for the local business here, at the moment Sirocco, Apanemo and Thrubi have opened and the Cosy Back Yard, Ostraco, and Yalos bars are also now open, all we need now is some tourists !!

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 08:57:09 PM »
...and Gio Ma? My favourite!

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 02:37:14 PM »
Bit rough on the new owners of Harrakas first season and having to close.  I do hope they all manage to survive.

Offline Jerry19

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 02:16:17 PM »
Hi Frank & Julie,
Thanks for the update, very much appreciated.

Offline reddiablo

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
yes thanks frank and Julie
I was coming for July 25th memorial of my brothers fatality
enroute from plakias to iraklion
the pandemic has curtailed us traveling from Florida via Athens
loved cyano last may/June.
and don't recall when I last paid a deposit on hotel
after being expat for 44 years deposits are not in my dna
cyano sent a nice reply saying my deposit will be honoured whenever we can get there
hope for next spring
im also prohibited visiting my son and family at their new home on prince Edward island Canada
I'm Canadian citizen but not allowed to enter PEI under present rules
so im stuck in Tampa
but taking a road trip to Chicago this week
just received negative result for craved swab test
my second test
good luck to you all
I contact zak z and stellios kaoudis often
we were going to toast Thomas Murney at his stone overlooking souda July 25. 20 years to the day
I will get some mythos and metaxa
and imagine im there