login

Author Topic: Summer work in Plakias....am I dreaming?  (Read 2577 times)

Ger

Summer work in Plakias....am I dreaming?
« on: April 30, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
Hi All

Will be landing in Crete in one weeks time to look for work for the season and would ideally like to find some in Plakias. Am I right in thinking that because the town is so small that jobs will already be taken up by the locals and expats?

I know the north coast are the main spots for work and would probably go for Rethymnon as from what i've been reading doesn't seem to be a package holiday hotspot and suited to the individual wanderer like myself. Not too keen on the likes of Malia, Hersonissos ect

Really like the sound of Plakias and the hostel their. Also is it pronounced Plaa-kee-ass?

Thanks

Offline Dutchy

• View Profile
    • http://www.loutro.tk
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:31:58 AM »
Quote from: Ger
Will be landing in Crete in one weeks time to look for work for the season and would ideally like to find some in Plakias. Am I right in thinking that because the town is so small that jobs will already be taken up by the locals and expats?
Really like the sound of Plakias and the hostel their. Also is it pronounced Plaa-kee-ass?
Thanks

I think that you're right in your thinking: not much jobs to find!

Yes, it's pronounced Plakee-ass.

Veel plezier!

Dutchy

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »
Many years ago when we first hit the island we asked a busdriver ff he would make it all the way down to a place we called "pla-kee-as". What? Where? The man thought for a while and then he shouted out: Aaah: plá-dczia ! Yes! We go to Plá-dczia! As he was from crete origin we use to speak it like this when we play that we are sophisticated ...
Maybe a topic for a pleasent voting?

shinaria

BTW: We heard very different pronounciations of another very important word: raki
From "Radcz" til Ra-kee" Which version do you use?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:42:17 AM by shinaria »