Author Topic: Winter warmers  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Winter warmers
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »
Appreciate that comments fall-off over the winter, but isn't this the ideal time to offset the rainy weather and dark nights with thoughts of sunny Plakias?

My 'starter for ten' is the lovely walk beyond Souda Bay and, in spring-time, the fantastic smell of the small pine grove on the hillside and the sound of finches.... 

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Winter warmers
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »
I find it addictive looking at the web cam feed. To see no cars parked up and no one on the beach is so different. Shame I can't be there to see what all the shops and restaurants look like. Someone turn the camera for a while!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »
Although we have booked for June next year (17days).  We might be able to go the first week in April too.
Anybody been then ? Is it warm enough to swim ? Are the Tavernas open ? etc

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
We've been during the last week of April, some tavernas open, the sea is warm enough to swim in but nothing like September, and one year - 2009/10?, can't remember exactly - there had been snow on the beach in late March, and wandering down for lunch with shorts/tee-shirt was definitely a mistake!

So, pot-luck, I suspect. That said, if wild-flowers and walking are your thing, then April is grand.

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »
We've been during the last week of April, some tavernas open, the sea is warm enough to swim in but nothing like September, and one year - 2009/10?, can't remember exactly - there had been snow on the beach in late March, and wandering down for lunch with shorts/tee-shirt was definitely a mistake!

So, pot-luck, I suspect. That said, if wild-flowers and walking are your thing, then April is grand.
Thankyou Richard, appreciate your comments, and will monitor the weather etc a week before we make a decision. Could be the Canaries instead !

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »
"So, pot-luck, I suspect. That said, if wild-flowers and walking are your thing, then April is grand"

Very much the case. Although much further north we were in Corfu for the first two weeks of May this year. The first week was wet and cool albeit with some sunny periods (great for walking) but it was not until the second week that we enjoyed proper beach weather. Some tavernas open but most were opening up as we left. A plus for us was that the  resorts were much quieter than the summer, and were delight to walk around.

Stuart

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
We were in Corfu, the same time as you, Stuart and Hilary. As you say, the weather was quite cool  and cloudy (we were in the NE, at Kalami). Fortunately, we like walking, and that area is perfect for it. Overall, though,we still think the walking in the Plakias area is the best, as the hills and gorges are more accessible than in other places we've been.

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »
Like you Graham & Karen we put Crete & Plakias at the top of our list, with the addition of Sougia & Loutro. We hope to make Corfu again next year because it is very beautiful & there is much for us still to see.  Advantages with Corfu are the shorter flights & an easy transfer to probably most resorts. The Islands are very different and it is noticeable that Corfu has had a much longer Northern European influence. We also believe the peoples of the Islands are very different but I would find it difficult to say exactly how.
Stuart

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 12:56:09 PM »
Re northern European influence, I was nearly hit by a cricket ball while sitting in a taverna to the side of Corfu Town's main square, couldn't believe it! Apparently there are several pitches on Corfu and many enthusiastic followers.

We went in September and I couldn't help noticing that the roadside flora was (a) still green and (b) quite similar to southern UK.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »
Yes, on one of her "Greek Odyssey" programmes Joanna Lumley visited Corfu (or Κέρκυρα if you're Greek!) where cricket is indeed very popular as is anything British.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος