login

Author Topic: Aegean to merge with olympic  (Read 3440 times)

Offline fenman

• View Profile
Aegean to merge with olympic
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »
Reports from Greece suggest the the above merger is about to be announced, probably tomorrow.

Bad news IMHO Olympic should have been put out of its misery long ago and not drag down another airline

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:57:45 AM »
Quote from: fenman
Reports from Greece suggest the the above merger is about to be announced, probably tomorrow.

Bad news IMHO Olympic should have been put out of its misery long ago and not drag down another airline

ATHENS, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Greece's two largest carriers Aegean Airlines and recently privatised Olympic Air have clinched an agreement to merge, officials close to the deal said on Monday.
"It is very likely that an announcement will be made later today or tomorrow on the merger of the two companies," one official close to the negotiations told Reuters.
The official said the new company's name will include the Olympic Air brand name.
The two carriers announced they were talking about a possible cooperation in a bourse filing on Feb. 11
Olympic Air was bought by buyout firm Marfin Investment Group (MIG) from the Greek government in March last year. Aegean Airlines had also offered to buy Olympic.
The Olympic privatisation ended years of wrangling with the EU Commission over illegal state aid to the debt-laden flag carrier.
"Aegean Airlines' market capitalisation stands at 285 million euros and MIG had acquired Olympic for 177.2 million euros. The new group might drop some destinations in favour of the competition in order to surpass any obstacles by the competition committee," said Alpha Finance in a note.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »
I dont want to seem daft but does this affect my booking for August?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
Quote from: Barny
I dont want to seem daft but does this affect my booking for August?

Barny.

May well do Barny, they will have duplication that they will juggle around.
The capacity should stilll be there I imagine if there was the demand but flight times might change I guess.

I'm a bit concerned for ours in September now, especially with the transfer. Imagine your 1 hour in Athens turning into 5 :-(

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 01:51:14 PM »
Quote from: fenman

Indeed, the Olympic of old was not well regarded at all.

However since the Olympic relaunch last year after being acquired by the Marfin Investment Group there has been extremely positive reviews of the service. Many business passengers who went to other carriers are now returning.

Here is one trip report:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/t...ead.main/158778

No mention of Ouzo upon boarding like Aegean though which is worrying