login

Author Topic: Building work ?  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
Building work ?
« on: December 23, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »
Been looking at the Plakias webcam over the last few days.

I may be my eyesight, but is there some building work being carried out at the back of Gio Ma Taverna ?

A big, black square building seems to be appearing ?

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Building work ?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »
The Borg visiting????

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
Hope it doesn't spoil Gio Ma if so, it is my favourite taverna.

Still, resistance is futile...

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:18:24 AM »
Not sure exactly what you are looking at but no major building work going on in the town, the road has been dug up for the new sewerage pipework from the new harbour towards Sellia, and at Sellia it has been closed off now for a couple of weeks at the narrow bit as you go into the village.
 A new Taverna has opened opposite the Cosy back yard,  used to be a supermarket, very good food and Manolis the owner is very friendly, nice decor, and a small local produce shop at the back, he is open now I think to get things running and be ready for the main season.
Some serious rain at times,  Preveli bridge road impassable to traffic as the river is running like a torrent and would wash a vehicle downstream if you tried to pass, some big waterfalls have appeared, pity I can not upload a video to this forum as quite impressive.
A nice time of year, quiet and people have the time to talk, the road to Rethymnon is closed today due to snow, its quite a bit colder that side.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »
Do you know the name of the new taverna?
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »
Not sure exactly what you are looking at but no major building work going on in the town, the road has been dug up for the new sewerage pipework from the new harbour towards Sellia, and at Sellia it has been closed off now for a couple of weeks at the narrow bit as you go into the village.
 A new Taverna has opened opposite the Cosy back yard,  used to be a supermarket, very good food and Manolis the owner is very friendly, nice decor, and a small local produce shop at the back, he is open now I think to get things running and be ready for the main season.
Some serious rain at times,  Preveli bridge road impassable to traffic as the river is running like a torrent and would wash a vehicle downstream if you tried to pass, some big waterfalls have appeared, pity I can not upload a video to this forum as quite impressive.
A nice time of year, quiet and people have the time to talk, the road to Rethymnon is closed today due to snow, its quite a bit colder that side.

Is it possible to post on Youtube and post a link here??

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 06:18:31 AM »
I am not sure of the name as no signs up and no formal menu yet, next time we go I will ask Manolis the name and let you know, I will try to upload the video on utube of the waterfall and post the link when I have it.

Offline WeeseW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 08:09:14 AM »
I am not sure of the name as no signs up and no formal menu yet, next time we go I will ask Manolis the name and let you know, I will try to upload the video on utube of the waterfall and post the link when I have it.

Is the building work still going on?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:35:35 PM by WeeseW »

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »
Most of the building work is now finished, the hotel lemon has had a major overhaul and they have gutted the top floors re-built all the inside walls and new balconies etc,  I think it is just about finished now.

A new block of apartments has sprung up on the road to the far end opposite Alianthos Beach,just in the plastering stage now so maybe  finished in a month or so.

The new Taverner opposite the cosy bar is called "Throumpi" and is very good, its more of a traditional menu and Manolis the owner goes into the mountains most day to collect the herbs and greens that they serve and free dives in the season to catch octopus.

Manousis taverner at the back of Alianthos Gardens has had a overhaul with new decor, toilet block and updated menu, new staff, a must visit for regulars I would suggest.

Sifis is still as good as ever, Geo Mar has had some work done, but not sure exactly what there was just some building materials outside for a few weeks in Jan/Feb.

A few new houses springing up on the Selia / Plakias road overlooking the new harbour my house being one of them.

The taverner on the right just as you drive out of selia towards the small george ( I cant rember the name ) is good, Nikos the owner/chef has been working in the Plakias area as a chef at many taverners for the last 25 years and is now open again for his second season.

Its getting busy in the main town now, I must admit I prefer it when we were just about the only "foreigners" in town on a night and people has time to chat, but now we are in the mid 20s I can't say I miss the winter weather.

Happy holidays everyone ... and Yamas !

Offline CharlesCowan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 01:06:01 PM »
Most of the building work is now finished, the hotel lemon has had a major overhaul and they have gutted the top floors re-built all the inside walls and new balconies etc,  I think it is just about finished now.

A new block of apartments has sprung up on the road to the far end opposite Alianthos Beach,just in the plastering stage now so maybe  finished in a month or so.

The new Taverner opposite the cosy bar is called "Throumpi" and is very good, its more of a traditional menu and Manolis the owner goes into the mountains most day to collect the herbs and greens that they serve and free dives in the season to catch octopus.

Manousis taverner at the back of Alianthos Gardens has had a overhaul with new decor, toilet block and updated menu, new staff, a must visit for regulars I would suggest.

Sifis is still as good as ever, Geo Mar has had some work done, but not sure exactly what there was just some building materials outside for a few weeks in Jan/Feb.

A few new houses springing up on the Selia / Plakias road overlooking the new harbour my house being one of them.

The taverner on the right just as you drive out of selia towards the small george ( I cant rember the name ) is good, Nikos the owner/chef has been working in the Plakias area as a chef at many taverners for the last 25 years and is now open again for his second season.

Its getting busy in the main town now, I must admit I prefer legal steroids it when we were just about the only "foreigners" in town on a night and people has time to chat, but now we are in the mid 20s I can't say I miss the winter weather.

Happy holidays everyone ... and Yamas !

BuildingWork is a Seattle-based architecture firm that designs projects and places with a deep respect for craft, context, and detail.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:16:36 AM by CharlesCowan »