Author Topic: Various Questions??  (Read 16933 times)

Offline bigal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Various Questions??
« on: August 02, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »
Just a few enquiries about my wife and I trip to Plakias in mid Sept.

1.  Any current views on good places to eat or more important the ones to avoid. Also any restaurant got speciality dishes?
2. Can anyone help with the name of the beach we used last year...driving along the dirt track from the closed hotel, opp. end from Plakias, past the very small cove, the next beach which was almost all naturist, with a girl selling drinks, etc. What is it called??
3. Any good bars for a few night time drinks?
4. Is it safe to walk back from Mirthos? after midnight?
5. Is there another naturist beach within 15mins drive from Plakias???

Hope someone can help.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 03:11:17 PM »
Quote from: bigal

1.  Any current views on good places to eat or more important the ones to avoid. Also any restaurant got speciality dishes?
2. Can anyone help with the name of the beach we used last year...driving along the dirt track from the closed hotel, opp. end from Plakias, past the very small cove, the next beach which was almost all naturist, with a girl selling drinks, etc. What is it called??
3. Any good bars for a few night time drinks?
5. Is there another naturist beach within 15mins drive from Plakias???

Hope someone can help.

Hi bigal

I've said this to numerous newbies with the same questions:

1. Your best bet is trial and error when you get there, the most popular are Lyseous, Haraki, Medusa to name just a few, there are so many others.

2. I'm happy with Plakias 'Far End' and tend not to travel to any other beaches for sunbathing, but there are others who do, I'm sure they'll get back to you.

3. Ditto 1. above, my prefered is Levicon, good music and comfortable, there's also the Ostraco which seems popular but it's noisy. there are so many others,

4. Yes. I've only done it once, as long as you keep you eyes open for traffic, you should be ok. I wouldn't chance it through the groves though.

5. Ditto 2.

Have a good one!  

george g...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:13:56 PM by George »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »

I agree with all George says. Re walking after midnight from Mirthios then yes the roads may be more suitable (much longer) than through the olive groves if you are not familiar with the route. I would advise a torch either way and we would feel perfectly safe going through the groves late at night as we know the route well. I don't think that there is a "security" issue as such.

John R

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 08:07:26 PM »
2) the beach is called micro-ammoudaki or ammoudaki

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 08:41:08 PM »
1.  ... more important the ones to avoid. ...

I'm likely to get some stick for this but I'd avoid Christos ... or, if you are tempted, write down all the prices off the menu when you order and work out what you expect to pay.

I'm in the process of writing an article on this and trying hard to find the right words to avoid repercussions.
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Quote from: Chas
write down all the prices off the menu when you order and work out what you expect to pay.
Sensible advice anywhere but overcharging at tavernas in Plakias is very rare IMHO. The quality is high and everyone has their own favourites so I guess this means that none stands out from the pack.

Mike

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Various Questions??
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 11:29:25 AM »
Quote from: Mike G
write down all the prices off the menu when you order and work out what you expect to pay.
Sensible advice anywhere but overcharging at tavernas in Plakias is very rare IMHO. The quality is high and everyone has their own favourites so I guess this means that none stands out from the pack.

Mike

I love Christos for the setting & the shrimp Saganaki but it's not the cheapest, fish though good especially the smoked is very pricey. I think this year the best meals we ate were in Platia in Mirthios the specials are always spot on as is the view but you need to get there early as they sell out quick. Also the Paligremnos at the end of the beach is great & they have music night on a Thursday with a young very talented band.

Rowena

P.S I would get a taxi down from Mirthios why spend all that time walking in the dark when you could be enjoying a beer in Plakias!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:10:29 PM by Rowena & Carl »

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 08:26:15 PM »
1.  ... more important the ones to avoid. ...

I'm likely to get some stick for this but I'd avoid Christos ... or, if you are tempted, write down all the prices off the menu when you order and work out what you expect to pay.

I'm in the process of writing an article on this and trying hard to find the right words to avoid repercussions.

Ahhhh, I was wondering which restaurant was going to get a slating as you mentioned in the article thread. My money was on Medousa as it is so popular. I can sleep easy now  

Haven't been to Christos since our first year. No real reason apart from at the time it didn't take credit cards and aslo i'm not a big seafood fan. May try it again this year if only for the location.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 08:26:56 PM by Ploppy »

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »
Quote from: Rowena & Carl
P.S I would get a taxi down from Mirthios why spend all that time walking in the dark when you could be enjoying a beer in Plakias!

Now there is sound advice

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 10:06:26 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
Ahhhh, I was wondering which restaurant was going to get a slating as you mentioned in the article thread. My money was on Medousa as it is so popular. I can sleep easy now  

Haven't been to Christos since our first year. No real reason apart from at the time it didn't take credit cards and aslo i'm not a big seafood fan. May try it again this year if only for the location.

We've not eaten at Christos either. I'm sure the food is good but we were put off when we were standing there clearly waiting to be either given a menu or to be guided to a table and the staff just ignored us. However, rather than just go to our usual haunts maybe we will also try it this year.

Graham

Offline variemename

• View Profile
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 12:06:15 AM »
Quote from: John R

I agree with all George says. Re walking after midnight from Mirthios then yes the roads may be more suitable (much longer) than through the olive groves if you are not familiar with the route. I would advise a torch either way and we would feel perfectly safe going through the groves late at night as we know the route well. I don't think that there is a "security" issue as such.

John R

Well said John. there aint no such thing as a security issue ! Biggest issue would be to fall over or step on donkey shit !

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »

ah!

no sense of adventure!!  

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 10:50:07 AM »
Quote from: harribobs

ah!

no sense of adventure!!  
... and no bruises, either - olive trees are harder than they look :'(
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 06:20:23 PM »
I'm likely to get some stick for this but I'd avoid Christos ...
I would second that: tried it for the 1st time this year in the light of all the recommendations, and was disappointed.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 08:56:36 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500
I'm likely to get some stick for this but I'd avoid Christos ...
I would second that: tried it for the 1st time this year in the light of all the recommendations, and was disappointed.

In all the times I have been to Plakias, I don't think I've ever been to Christos.

Noopsy, welcome back to the forum. Was Plakias as good ever? how did you get on with the buses to the airport?

Greecemad