Author Topic: Anyone there? Excited yet?  (Read 10443 times)

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone there? Excited yet?
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
C'mon - somebody out there must be getting a bit excited about their up-and-comming holidays. I've got 41 days to go and pounds (weight) to shift yet so I can get my summer kit on/off!
Swimming and gymming isn't helping - but that might be something to do with the EXTRA carbs needed/consumed to function normally as a result. That and the Mythos from Morrisons to get me back into the holiday mood! Awe- I can't wait!!!

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Re: Anyone there? Excited yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »
Trying not to think about sunny Plakias too much at the moment. We're not going until mid September this year. I'll be enjoying the UK summer (if we have one), and Cornish beaches until then.
John - Ostraco

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
I'm not going until September either - can't wait to read this years travel reports- all report back please!!!

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:01:49 PM »
We aren't going 'till September either, we normally go in July, which is the buisiest?

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:14 PM »
We are also going mid September. Looks as if it will be quite a party :))
I suspect probably busier in September than July ??

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
September seems well busy then!! Is anyone going in May?- Is Plakias open then? If it's as good as so many of you are making out - I might return in September if only for the party! I take it the weather is still good then or so many of you  wouldn't be going.

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »
Yes, getting exited now only 68 days to go, we have started putting bits and pieces to one side ready. I keep checking out the weather on the nearest webcam I've found which is just up the coast at Sfakia (http://www.beach-webcam-crete.com/) the Taverna there doesn't look open yet, but there are a few brave souls getting on the beach.
Ostraco - you can forget summer here, any chance of that disappeared when they introduced a hosepipe ban. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:44:14 AM by Colin & Sandra »

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
We've got just 19 days to go.....can't wait !!!!!!! will post info/gossip etc when we get back at end May ....hope to be there when (baby Freddie) is born.

The weather for today shows 21 going up to 26 next week.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/plakias/forecast/seven-day/

Our friend from Rethymnon rang last week & said it is a very difficult time for all of them now. Petrol 2Euro Ltre & many people now walking rather than drive their cars.
Taxi driver's are finding it difficult too.

We will warm the beach up for you all & sample a few Mythos (rude not too)

Les&Dave :)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »
In my experience the weather in Spring (say May) or Autumn (say mid Sept to mid Oct) can vary between totally cloudless days to rather indifferent. For instance, Oct 8-10 last year was dire, with periods of extremely heavy rain and wind and the most mountainous seas I have ever seen in Plakias.

If you want to be guaranteed wall to wall sun then you need to go in high summer, but then it is too hot for many, can be extremely windy, and you will pay the highest prices.

Spring and Autumn are great for walking (assuming it isn't raining) and the sea is at a reasonable termperature for most.

It is a well established fact that Autumn is much busier in Plakias than Spring. I have never understood why (does anyone know?) as it doesn't apply to other parts of Greece I have been to. The best tavernas are full from about 8pm until late.

Mike

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »
We still have 73 days to go. Sad to hear things are so tough for the locals now the terrible austerity measures are causing hardship. Worse is yet to come too. I hope the money tourists spend will help the Greeks and make life a little more bearable. We will only be spending cash and not using plastic at all.  The small businesses can then use their own judgement.

September has become one of the busiest months in many of the Greek Islands. The price to Holiday in September is now generally higher than June and early July.
The Ionian, Dodecanese, Sporadese and Cyclades are very busy and the month is second only to August.
We find October can be fairly busy on Rhodes and Symi. The season lasts a bit longer. They will be enjoying their second spring with the wild flowers blooming after the odd heavy rain during the month. Fantastic for walking.

I can only think the reason September is more popular than spring is because the sea is warmer and people are trying to ward off the impending winter.
We love May on Crete and have only experienced the odd rain shower. We also find if it is raining on one coast the other will be in sunshine.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:25:32 PM by Lampyland »

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »
Hello daza,

my husband and I, we will be in Plakias from the 20th of May until the 3rd of June. Normally, we prefer the beginning of May but this year we decided to go a bit later. Last year it was very cold and we had a lot of rain and now we hope it will be better.
Our flights, the accomodation and the taxi transfer are arranged and we are looking forward to our next stay in Plakias.

Greetings from Germany,
Kerstin and Peter

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 09:53:53 AM »
We've got just 19 days to go.....can't wait !!!!!!! will post info/gossip etc when we get back at end May ....hope to be there when (baby Freddie) is born.

Please can someone post when they hear baby Emma Or Freddie is born.
Would love to send them our best wishes from Australia.
Many thanks,
Peter&Dawn.

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »
Hope you both enjoying your new life.

We will keep you up dated.....
Emma emiled 2 weeks ago & was doing well. They are excited about the forthcoming arrival & we're hoping we will still be there when baby is born (due around the 20th) we think.

Dave&Les

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 08:38:49 PM »
we will be there on friday, via easyjet and hire car from heraklion. The sun will be shining, the flowers breathtaking, the sea warm, and the welcome at Aponea will be friendly as always... only five days to wait!

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
HI.
We have to wait until the back end of June. Away to Furtaventura in a couple of weeks, to start of my tan . Sp I won't be blinding anyone with my bright white skin at the far end this year lol.
Smile you are in Plakias. :)