login

Author Topic: The wind!  (Read 12827 times)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
P.S. not very fond of Damnoni!

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »
Souda is our favoured beach
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
Stewart said he preferred sunbathing nude so possibly he was meaning walking to Micro Amoudi rather than Damnoni. In September, we often found Micro Amoudi too hot but late October, that certainly won't be a problem. Should be more sheltered than Plakais far end.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
The wind!
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »
Re Damoni - I think I started this, as I suggested Souda or Damnoni as less windy alternatives to Plakias - however, I did mean Mikri Amoudi, but did not want to assume that Stewart wanted an all over tan.  I am no more fond of Damnoni itself that the rest of the contributors to this string.

We were in Plakias for the last two weeks in August this year, and it was indeed pretty windy most of the time (Force 5 and 6 with stronger gusts).  We went to Souda one morning about 9.30 and found the beach pretty empty except for some Greek families under the trees and a group of about 6 naturists on the sunbeds.  The sunbeds filled up with textiles, and eventually the naturists covered up as well.  We had chosen one of the coves, but put cozzies on for swimming.  Souda was actually still pretty windy and the area near the tavernas was empty due to the sand storms.  Even at our end of the beach it was pretty uncomfortable at times, and there was the usual sport of watching people chasing after towels, clothes, beachballs, etc.  

Mikri Amoudi was about half and half dressed/undressed, whereas on our previous visit (one June) there was not a stitch of clothing in sight.

We managed to go swimming pretty much every morning in Plakias, but we did not hang around long for sunbathing at the far end, unless we were settling down for a longer perid under the trees.  We did try sunbathing, and one day when I stood up from my towel my outline remained, picked out by deposits of wind-blown sand.  The morning we left was absolutely gorgeous - the sea was like glass and there was a gentle light breeze.

Still, all in all a great holiday, where we were made to feel like old friends by the taverna staff (how do they remember?).  We had some really good food, at excellent prices, in particular the Monastic Pork at Mousses (I'm off to become a monk any day now, if that is the way they eat!).  Thinking of going back again to Plakias next year, with fingers tightly crossed for a bit less wind.

Arnaki

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 09:30:45 PM »
Quote from: Arnaki
Re Damoni - I think I started this, as I suggested Souda or Damnoni as less windy alternatives to Plakias - however, I did mean Mikri Amoudi, but did not want to assume that Stewart wanted an all over tan.  I am no more fond of Damnoni itself that the rest of the contributors to this string.

We were in Plakias for the last two weeks in August this year, and it was indeed pretty windy most of the time (Force 5 and 6 with stronger gusts).  We went to Souda one morning about 9.30 and found the beach pretty empty except for some Greek families under the trees and a group of about 6 naturists on the sunbeds.  The sunbeds filled up with textiles, and eventually the naturists covered up as well.  We had chosen one of the coves, but put cozzies on for swimming.  Souda was actually still pretty windy and the area near the tavernas was empty due to the sand storms.  Even at our end of the beach it was pretty uncomfortable at times, and there was the usual sport of watching people chasing after towels, clothes, beachballs, etc.  

Mikri Amoudi was about half and half dressed/undressed, whereas on our previous visit (one June) there was not a stitch of clothing in sight.

We managed to go swimming pretty much every morning in Plakias, but we did not hang around long for sunbathing at the far end, unless we were settling down for a longer perid under the trees.  We did try sunbathing, and one day when I stood up from my towel my outline remained, picked out by deposits of wind-blown sand.  The morning we left was absolutely gorgeous - the sea was like glass and there was a gentle light breeze.

Still, all in all a great holiday, where we were made to feel like old friends by the taverna staff (how do they remember?).  We had some really good food, at excellent prices, in particular the Monastic Pork at Mousses (I'm off to become a monk any day now, if that is the way they eat!).  Thinking of going back again to Plakias next year, with fingers tightly crossed for a bit less wind.

Arnaki
Hi
so glad you had a good time, sorry we missed you this year due to health & personal reasons....hope to catch up next year.
Perhaps we can have a 'Forum' dinner again!!
Dave&Les

Offline stewart

• View Profile
The wind!
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 12:51:45 AM »
Can't find Mikri Amoudi/Micro Amoudi on google maps, can someone give directions walking from Plakias pls?

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
The wind!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 06:45:27 PM »
Quote from: stewart
Can't find Mikri Amoudi/Micro Amoudi on google maps, can someone give directions walking from Plakias pls?

Try this website:

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/greece/micro.html

I hope it works.

Kerstin

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 09:00:22 AM »
Try hitting the Plakias Map link (top right hand corner of this page) and hitting Amoudi in the 'Beaches' index. Simples!!

george...

Offline stewart

• View Profile
The wind!
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
Quote from: George
Try hitting the Plakias Map link (top right hand corner of this page) and hitting Amoudi in the 'Beaches' index. Simples!!

george...

never spotted that, v useful all round, thanks!

Offline stewart

• View Profile
Re: The wind!
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 12:06:11 AM »
Well I'm home and was happy with Plakias windwise to what I'd feared, in fact the wind was probably worst during the night keeping me awake. When it was too blowy in the daytime in Plakias I went to the rather pleasant and fairly sheltered Mikra Amoudi 2 days and tried Souda another day. Thanks to those who guided me to these other beaches.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
We just missed being there at the same time as you Stewart - we saw a bargain of a week for 3 people for less than £500 at Kosta Chryssoula but the seats went just before we tried to book it.  Hey, ho.  Had a wet few days in Scotland instead.

Anyway back on the subject of wind, I found this weather website for real wind enthusiasts.  It is certainly detailed, but how accurate is anyone's guess....

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/plakias

Arnaki

Offline JJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:56 AM »
Micro Amoudi , aka Amoudaki , fantastic for the last few days , so different++ to high season when totally crammed with beds n brollies and hardly a square cm left. Last week's wind now totally gone. Now on avg about 15 or 20 folks , mostly know each other at least to talk to , swimming , yoga , playing with bats n balls , or just sitting round chatting , more like family days out . Lotus eaters ?

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 10:45:42 AM »
Shinaria similar at this time of year (but we found the traverna dire)

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
With all this wind blowing - does it keep the mozzie numbers down? I guess it does on the beaches- but what about in the accommodations/bars/restaurants. Are they few or many in number in Plakias (IN MAY)?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »
With all this wind blowing - does it keep the mozzie numbers down? I guess it does on the beaches- but what about in the accommodations/bars/restaurants. Are they few or many in number in Plakias (IN MAY)?
Plakias is known for its wind but not especially for mosquitos. I'm not saying you won't come across any but it is less affected than other Greek resorts I have visited.

Or maybe they just don't like me!

Mike