login

Author Topic: Holiday Report May 2011  (Read 18958 times)

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 03:40:01 PM »
A man was sunbathing naked at the beach. For the sake of civility, and to keep it from getting sunburned, he had a hat over his private parts.

A woman walks past and says, snickering, "If you were a gentleman you ' d lift your hat."

He raised an eyebrow and replied, "If you weren ' t so ugly it would lift itself

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
Good start Jann, LUVIT!!

george...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »
I resemble that remark, George!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »
Quote from: Barny
I resemble that remark, George!

Barny.
Didn't know you wore a hat Barny!

george...

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
Quote from: George
Sunbed jokes anyone?

Barny.
I must admit to seeing a few Barny and mostly at the far end!    :'(

george...
Any news on Freddi, won't be the same if Freddi's not there

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
Quote from: boxerlover
. But to me and many many more old people they are an essential requirement to enjoying Plakias when mobility is restricted.

John

at least you have Tom to help you  

Offline John Gloucester

• View Profile
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 09:34:56 PM »
Quote from: spottttttt
Quote from: George
Sunbed jokes anyone?

Barny.
I must admit to seeing a few Barny and mostly at the far end!    :'(

george...
Any news on Freddi, won't be the same if Freddi's not there

ANOTHER OPEN LETTER TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE SAID PLAKIAS IS MORE THAN SUN BEDS AT THE FAR END, I agree but for many people who go to Plakias every year it is an important part of the holiday. My wife and I are very fortunate in that we take several holidays each year, we have tried many naturist beaches both in Europe and the Caribbean and can assure you we have yet to find one that comes anywhere close to Plakias with it's close proximity to the town, ease of access, friendliness of the people using the beach, a naturist beach where LONE females feel entirely safe. A fact that must be credited to FREDDY who keeps a watchful eye on the sun beds and for his diplomatic control of the  odd undesirables who turn up occasionally.

I would also say we are not against change, Plakias has changed over the past 16 years and will continue to change in the future, the changes have been very gradual and with the exception of Stalag 13 have had only a minor effect on the town, with most of the changes in our opion being for the better.

To Jann you said the people who complained about the sun beds would not be missed, I'm sorry I must take issue with you on this rather stupid statement of yours. Plakis collectivelyis a business, it's custommers are tourists, any person in public office (i.e. THE MAYOR etc.) has a duty and responsibility to the citizens and business people of Plakias, to ensure that actions taken by them are considered very carefully in so much as not to alienate any one group of tourists. As tourists are Plakias's customers and any businessman will tell you in these difficult times, business need all the paying customers they can get.

John Gloucester

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 11:31:39 PM »
      John, I actually said 'I don't think you will be missed !  purely my opinion which I think I am entitled to have    

If you think it is 'stupid' then that is your opinion  

Offline John Gloucester

• View Profile
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 11:54:24 PM »
Quote from: jann
     John, I actually said 'I don't think you will be missed !  purely my opinion which I think I am entitled to have    

If you think it is 'stupid' then that is your opinion  

Jann, You are totally correct in that you are fully entitled to your opinion as I am to mine and let me assure you in no way did I wish to infer you were stupid, it was only the remark that Plakias council could in some way afford to do things that would alienate it's regular customers and if others like me did not like what they did and stoped visiting , we would not be missed. I am sure the owner the hotel that I stay at would miss the £700 plus I spend with them each year, to name just one.

John Gloucester.

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 06:28:34 AM »
Quote from: boxerlover
Congratulations and many thanks to whomsoever has seen the necessity of restoring the far end beach parasols to their original decent distance apart today.

Whether it was tourist protests or just plain commonsence doesn't matter. It had to be done.

Those of you who wrote on the forum about there being more to Plakias than sun beds are quite right. But to me and many many more old people they are an essential requirement to enjoying Plakias when mobility is restricted.

John

Hello John and Tom,
enjoy the last days of your holiday. We think on you both.  
Kerstin and Peter

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
Quote from: John Gloucester
ANOTHER OPEN LETTER TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE SAID PLAKIAS IS MORE THAN SUN BEDS AT THE FAR END, I agree but for many people who go to Plakias every year it is an important part of the holiday. My wife and I are very fortunate in that we take several holidays each year, we have tried many naturist beaches both in Europe and the Caribbean and can assure you we have yet to find one that comes anywhere close to Plakias with it's close proximity to the town, ease of access, friendliness of the people using the beach, a naturist beach where LONE females feel entirely safe. A fact that must be credited to FREDDY who keeps a watchful eye on the sun beds and for his diplomatic control of the  odd undesirables who turn up occasionally.
John Gloucester
I couldn't have put that better myself John. I've always found it very comfortable and friendly there often seeing people that you've met the night before or regulars who always nod and say good morning even if you don't know them and that includes all nationalities whether male or female. It feels like a community of like minded people who enjoy the facility and the comfort of feeling safe while enjoying the sunshine in total freedom in surroundings second to none.

george...

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 02:28:47 PM »
Quote from: B.Edelsten
Plakias Report
We have been going to Plakias for twenty years, either May or September, and staying at Elgini Studios for the last ten. Ironically, we moved out of Plakias because it was getting too busy and noisy. The visit this year was a bit weird; partly because the weather was so poor, and partly because Plakias was so quiet, there was little incentive to spend an evening in Plakias, thus acerbating the situation.  It can be debated whether it was quiet because of the weather or because of the financial situation. On Saturday 14 May, which was a nice sunny day, Souda Bay which, like Plakias bay, had no sun umbrellas or sun beds set out, had only about 25 people spread along the whole length whereas, in previous years, the beach and sun beds had been fairly well populated with many cars lining the road side.  

Because the winter has been so wet, the wettest for 40 or 50 years depending or who you speak to, instead of lying on the beach and swimming, we did lots of walking among the profusions of wild flowers. At least it looks like a bumper olive harvest in the autumn though we heard one complaint that this means the price paid for olives will be very low.  

I have posted some pictures on the Internet: http://edelsten.org.uk/PhotoAlbums/Crete-2011/

Being inside most nights, I decided to keep a diary. First couple of days below:

Sun May 1

The journey from Heraklion airport to Plakias took 1 hour and 40 minutes,  inlcuding a stop to fill up with petrol and where I could, though not always where I should,  maintaining a steady 100kmph. It is always quite a joyful experience, on the Spili road, on the downward slope, turning off to Koxare, going through the gorge,  Osomatos, Legkoyia  and, finally, with windows wound down letting the herby aromas,  we are rolling down the main road into Plakias where the sun, bouncing off the waves, is dazzling in its brightness.  We stopped at the supermarket before the Alianthos, partly because parking is easy but also because the vegetable shop there has the best choice; non EU-compliant cucumbers which taste of cucumbers and big red squishy tomatoes which, when topped with local feta and olives, complete the perfect Greek salad. Then onward to Elgini, up the impossibly steep drive way, unload and up the steps to room No. 5, beer on the balcony and flop. It is a long journey from the north east of Scotland.

Monday 2 May
It was a long winter in Crete, some say the wettest for 50 years, with quite a bit of snow still lingering on the hills and (hopefully) the last of the winter rains only the week before. It had been a bit weird watching the weather from home where temperatures in April were sometimes warmer than Crete, while in SE England temperatures reached 27 over the Easter weekend. However, we were going to  benefit from all water because the fields and verges were a profusion of flowers and the air heady with the aromas of herbs.

Almost the first thing we noticed when we arrived in Crete was how green it was, much greener than last year, in May 2010, which was after a particularly dry winter. Where last year there had been dry brown dusty tracks these were now tracks with verges of green mixed with a wide variety of flowers. And up the slopes and on the hills, greens of various hues predominated.

On our first full day we did our orientation walk; up through the tracks and terraces of olives at the back of Elgini, up to Sellia for coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice (sunshine in a glass) then back via a different route through the tracks above Souda, stopping frequently to look at the plant life, stuff we would struggle to propagate at home, here nonchalantly growing at the edge of the path. There were also lots of what looked like wild oats and barley and other tall grasses amongst all the flowers. The olive trees were well on the way to a bumper harvest, though many had infestations on mites which produce white fluff on the stems.

In the evening we headed into Plakias to top up with food items missed the day before - the brain is always a bit fuzzy when we first arrive, had an orange juice at the beach bar (which, at E3 each, will probably not be repeated and, while the sound system is impressive, the choice of music less so- but it is good sunset photo taking point), souvliki on the sea front then beer at Ostracos. For a local May Day holiday, Plakias was rather quiet, no sun beds out on the beach yet, a few places not yet open and the cafes and tavernas with only a few customers. It was just us and two others in Ostracos. Signs of the times perhaps or is it still a bit early in the season?

Bruce Edelsten

Holiday Report May 31 - June 14 2011
Just back from 2 fantastic weeks in Plakias and i thought I would update the Forum on latest news etc.

Flights
We flew LGW with Strategic Airlines. Left on time and arrived on time o/w. I/w left early and arrive early!!! Comfort was not quite as good as Monarch but ok.

Transfer
Arrived at Heraklion at 1715, bus left at 1830 (no Rep) arrived at Plakias 2100.

Accomodation
We stayed at the Irida where we last stayed about 8 years ago when it was First Choice. Now has new pool which was very handy as it was hot! Maria and Manolis as friendly as ever. We noticed a bit more road noise that before and there was some noise up to 2300 at night due to Manolis having a beer or 2 with friends by the pool. Didn't bother us as we having a last glass of wine or 2 on the balcony!

Weather
28 - 35 degrees by day and virtually all sun down to 25 at night.  

Plakias
We had not been back for 4 years so noticed some changes. The town was the quietest we had seen it and the "Brits" were definately in the minority. The new development on the front was not as obtrusive as I imagined and I heard that the developers had gone bust so were only completing what they had started. Quite a few new commercial premises, new shops next door to Irida and a new carwash a 100m further down. We wondered if we would be remembered after 4 years but within 20 minutes of arrival were greeted by several waiters etc and Adonis (Mouses) came out of the kitchen to buy us a beer. New "Front of House" at Mouses - Gerry and son Sifi, very nice but we missed the sense of humour of the previous crew. Denis and Emma at the Livikon were as great as ever. Prices had gone up, but as I said we had not been there for 4 years and a lot of the increase was due to conversion back to a devalued pound. For those interested, wine(500ml) was 2.50 at Mouses and Sifi's, 3.00 at Medousa, 3.20 at Sofia and 4.00 at Kri Kri and the Livikon. Mythos was 2.00 at Lamon, 2.80 at Mouses, 2.70 at the Livikon and 2.50 at others (Sellia etc). Food was reasonable, 6-9 Euros for mains etc and 4 for greek salad. Most disappointing lunch was at Gio-Ma. We normally have our lunch there on the first day, mixed appetisers, used to be 8 euros but now 12 and no sausage. no octopus and no prawns!! I don't know if it had changed hands but I didn't see Manolis the 2 weeks we were there.
We did lots of walks in the area which was hard going due to the heat, but kept off the weight off after large consumption of food, beer and wine!
There appears to be a bit of a "sun beds" war going on at the "Far End" with sand being moved to create new areas. Not sure what was going on as I don't spend hardly any time on the beach.
All in all a great 2 weeks. It was fantastic to return after 4 years.

Grahame

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jim-murray.co.uk
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:22 PM »
Well - the beds have been moved back to the far end of the far end and spaced out like they used to be and the Earth is back spinning on its axis and Freddie is working up at the Vrisi.

Re the Plakias Resorts development. It's not like any 'estate' I lived in or near and I'm sure that the inmates of the Stalags would welcome the chance to move in there. I reckon that if I was a local wanting to keep my kids in the area instead of moving to Athens or London and I had an exploitable resource like some scrub land near a great beach I'd be looking to  sell it or develop it - especially with the price of olive oil so low it's hardly worth selling. Aesthetically I don't think it's too bad - I've seen a lot worse (except I don't understand why they have the rooms pointing the wrong way), especially compared with some of the bog-standard white concrete blocks in the main town, but it's all a matter of personal taste. With August rates of 800E p.w for a 'studio' (bed and cooker in same room so you can fry chips while you're still in bed I suppose) and 1500E p.w. for a 'villa' it looks like they want to appeal to a more up-market set and I can't see the locals objecting to that at all. (BTW the original plan was for the units to be sold (e.g. 625kE for a 'villa') until the authorities pointed out that they had only been given a license for a hotel so now it's 'rent rooms' luxurious but 'rent rooms' just the same)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
Quote from: paleo
With August rates of 800E p.w for a 'studio' (bed and cooker in same room so you can fry chips while you're still in bed I suppose) and 1500E p.w. for a 'villa' it looks like they want to appeal to a more up-market set and I can't see the locals objecting to that at all. (BTW the original plan was for the units to be sold (e.g. 625kE for a 'villa') until the authorities pointed out that they had only been given a license for a hotel so now it's 'rent rooms' luxurious but 'rent rooms' just the same)
Can you clarify Paleo? Originally this development was intended just for personal purchase, I spoke to the developer personally when this all started to get more info from him.
Now you're saying that they are renting out and have a license for a hotel and the possibilty of purchase for @ E625K.
Just being inquisitive P, for that kind of money I would want something a little more exclusive so I'm not a prospective buyer... or renter   .

Nice to know that the far end is still the 'Far End'.  

george...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Holiday Report May 2011
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2011, 01:33:34 PM »
Quote from: paleo
Well - the beds have been moved back to the far end of the far end and spaced out like they used to be and the Earth is back spinning on its axis and Freddie is working up at the Vrisi.

Re the Plakias Resorts development. It's not like any 'estate' I lived in or near and I'm sure that the inmates of the Stalags would welcome the chance to move in there. I reckon that if I was a local wanting to keep my kids in the area instead of moving to Athens or London and I had an exploitable resource like some scrub land near a great beach I'd be looking to  sell it or develop it - especially with the price of olive oil so low it's hardly worth selling. Aesthetically I don't think it's too bad - I've seen a lot worse (except I don't understand why they have the rooms pointing the wrong way), especially compared with some of the bog-standard white concrete blocks in the main town, but it's all a matter of personal taste. With August rates of 800E p.w for a 'studio' (bed and cooker in same room so you can fry chips while you're still in bed I suppose) and 1500E p.w. for a 'villa' it looks like they want to appeal to a more up-market set and I can't see the locals objecting to that at all. (BTW the original plan was for the units to be sold (e.g. 625kE for a 'villa') until the authorities pointed out that they had only been given a license for a hotel so now it's 'rent rooms' luxurious but 'rent rooms' just the same)
With perfectly respectable studios/apartments going for about 30€ a day in the town (I'm told) I can't see their doing too much business.

I agree with other posts that it is good news that the far end is restored to its former state but sad to hear there is no Freddi.

Mike