login

Author Topic: Plakias Tourist train  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias Tourist train
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »
I've heard about the tourist train which was once in Plakias, not sure how long it finished though.

My question is, was Plakias once busy enough to have the train ? I always though Plakias has always had a similar amount of tourists visiting over the years, so it seems strange for the train to have once been based here !

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Plakias Tourist train
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 04:38:45 PM »
It was very much a part of the whole experience a few years ago...must have left about five or six years ago now (possibly longer). Nothing quite like jumping on to get up to Mirthios ........even I could run up the hill faster than the little train...but it took me on some lovely 40th birthday celebrations and that was 12 years ago ! I think it was sold on to a firm in Athens. Used to run from the taxi rank/bus stop on the seafront.

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 05:57:23 PM »
The train was wonderful, I really regret not using it more. The day trips to Preveli, and to the gorge were great, going oh so slow, able to smell all the aromas of Greece (does Mythos smell?), annoying all the traffic trying to overtake etc. We discovered Stelios taverna in Lefkogia thanks to a lunch stop on a train day trip. Alianthos ran the train, and I believe it did not pay its way, so much so that on one Sunday mornings normal trip to Souda, we advised the driver that we wanted to return on the 12.30 train, got to the train stop in time for 12.30, and were picked up by the train driver in his car as the owners told him the train was not busy, and the owners could save money by using his car for us!
We also go to Petra and Anaxos on Lesvos, and they started a mini train there 2 years ago, running along from Anaxos, through Petra to Molyvos and the castle, and it is a roaring success, much to the annoyance of the taxi drivers. Whenever we went to get the train it was packed, and I assume it will be there this year, but we are off to Kalamata in June and Plakias in October, so Lesvos will have to wait until 2017, by which time I suspect my supplies of Ouzo will be running dangerously low.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:12:38 AM »
The Train by the old fountain

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:43:13 PM »
Wow, great photo Voloudakis !!

Offline hotch1342

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:19:31 PM »
Apparently the train (owned by Alianthos) kept breaking down on the steep roads it had to use! It did finish up in Athens.