login

Author Topic: Pips and Titles  (Read 11144 times)

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Pips and Titles
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2004, 09:03:03 PM »
I suspect that poor Andy took Yvonne's remark seriously. I'm sure she meant it light heartedly. I am a moderator on a multinational vast (2000+ active members) discussion list (FLUTE) and over the years have needed to learn to be aware of how this means of communication, emails, chat forums etc. can lead to very ambiguous interpretation of innocent remarks. No criticism of Yvonne - nor of Andy - these misunderstandings happen so unbelievably easily. The smileys are there to try and help but basically the complete lack of body language leaves much scope for these innocent misunderstandings. Come back please Andy - I know from 7 years of running a discussion forum that you attempt to do more for the members than any moderator I have ever witnessed and I know that we all recognise that and appreciate it. I don't think there is one milligram of malice on a single member of this forum but misunderstandings are still VERY easy.  

John R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I back the above 100% Come back please Andy you have made this site so easy to use. I suspect Yvonne was trying to save you not put you down. Thanks for all you have done
Dotty
Dotty

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pips and Titles
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2004, 12:04:49 AM »
I suspect that poor Andy took Yvonne's remark seriously. I'm sure she meant it light heartedly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm afraid I don't agree with you, John.  Reading Yvonne's remark I can almost hear the shouted exasperation, and can understand why Andy took offence.  I think that the best way to get Andy "back on board" would be for Yvonne to make her peace with him via e-mail.

As Graham and Karen have said, we are all different people with different personalities but there is one thing that unites us: our love of Plakias (even though some of us, including your's truly, have never been there). Let us try and build on this love that we share.  
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pips and Titles
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2004, 01:18:11 PM »
I agree with John R's comment of 23/7 at 7.43pm. It is very, very easy to misinterpret an E-Mail as you can't hear the tone of voice or judge the body language. I did it several times when I worked and you need to be very careful.  

I suggest Ostraco, as website "owner" I think, ought to try and get Andy back. We all agree he is a very good egg and has done wonders for the forum.    I'm sure that Yvonne meant no offence and a quick E-Mail to Andy to confirm this would do no harm.  

On the original subject, I was quite happy with the original designations- not too keen on 6 ranks of membership; it smacks of ranks in the army (not that I was ever in it!). It's the content of the forum I'm interested in, not people's rankings.

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pips and Titles
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2004, 11:58:20 AM »
Oh dear!  What have I done?  I am truly sorry if I have caused offence to Andy.  It was only meant as a light hearted comment.  Perhaps I shouldn't continue with my input to the forum any more.
Dare I come in September as planned?
Yvonne

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pips and Titles
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2004, 12:32:28 PM »
Yvonne

I'm sure everyone knows you didn't mean to cause offence, it was just one of those very unfortunate things. I think we must all have done it once or twice and not realised until it was too late.

September isn'r far away now and I'm counting the days. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else over a beer or two!  

Susan

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pips and Titles
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2004, 04:54:25 PM »
Thank you, Susan.  I appreciated that.  Look forward to meeting you, too.
Yvonne

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Pips and Titles
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2004, 06:29:20 PM »
Yvonne,
Must admit when I saw the 'offending' post, I laughed too - thought it a light-hearted way of saying you were happy with things as they are.
Andy has a good sense of humour too, and I would be very surprised that this alone would cause him to withdraw,
I really don't know if this caused Andy to withdraw. I am frustrated to say that  I an unable to get a response from him, having left messages in all the usual places.
Until I get a response - or a week or so has elapsed without word - I will comment no further.
Andy has been a 'net' friend of mine for about 6 years, although we have never met up, we have talked many times - and he was even coming around to the idea of joining us in Plakias for a holiday.
It also must be said that the forums wouldn't be running as they are now without his input - I sincerely hope his absence is temporary!
John - Ostraco