Author Topic: What's Changed?  (Read 6696 times)

Offline bwian

• View Profile
What's Changed?
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:12:45 PM »
Hello all....
We had to cancel our Plakias trip last year (lost a small fortune!)... we are very much looking forward to visiting this July but --- what's changed? What should we brace ourselves for? Anything unpleasant? Is the Far End still the same? Is any of Bar Platia still existant as a bar..?
Bwian

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's Changed?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:08:22 AM »
As you may have seen from other posts there has been some rebuilding after last year's fire ...so the beachfront tavernas will be different, the little souvlakia hut has gone and they are updating the sewers so some of the roads will have been relaid. Otherwise I don't think there's much difference - hopefully someone who has been out there this year will be able to confirm.

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:12:35 AM »
Thanks Jackie! :)

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:30:13 PM »
Re, Bar Platia... Was this bar along the front  ? If so, I'm sure that this isn't there anymore, but I think has been split into a smaller bar café / and shop ?

Offline TonyH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »
We are in Plakias at this moment, having arrived on Tuesday.  We were surprised at the number of changes that have taken place since our last visit in May last year.  As has been reported, the little Gyros place has gone, the tavernas on the front have had mixed fortunes, Coralli is open but only tables and chairs outside with no covering and no apparent building work going on, Sofias is up and running and yes, Babis is back working at Sifis, we spoke to him today and he told us it was good to be back and that he had had some personal problems last year, he looks well.  Gorgona is just staring to be rebuilt so no action there, Muses is complete and working hard at trying to get people in, not ideal in my view, I prefer to make my own mind up so avoid the (chucker inners)  Ostrcio is open and fully re-built, the cafe on the end (cant remember name) is another with work in progress.  One other café is missing, Argo has gone along with the bakery, the main bakery is still operating though.  Kri Kri has undergone a major makeover and looke very smart and modern not been in yet but will do before we return.  The pharmacy has move and is now where the Argo bakery was.  Not much else seems to have changed.  Oh yes we have had some really manky weather, heavy rain, high winds, lots of showers today, but the sun is out now.  The new Olympic rep is called Dominick and seems a nice boy, a bit nervous as you will expect, but seems competent, tie will tell as he has a hard act to follow.  Enjoy your holidays everyone, it's still Plakias as we know and love.

Cheers Tony.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »
Thank you TonyH.
Good to know the name of the new rep too.
How are the sewage works in the roads going?
Saw that there has been some heavy and badly needed rain.
Might not be welcome when visiting but the authorities were talking about hose pipe bans and water restrictions for Agriculture. No bans for swimming pools! Completely bonkers as usual.

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »
Re, Bar Platia... Was this bar along the front  ? If so, I'm sure that this isn't there anymore, but I think has been split into a smaller bar café / and shop ?

When we were there in 2014, it was mostly a shop, with a tiny bar tucked in alongside - sounds like that is still going then..?

Offline TonyH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 02:44:22 PM »
The roadworks seem to have finished, although there is still some finishing off to do.  Re bar Platia, it is no longer there, last year the shop was divided between the bar and a tourist type shop, this year the bar has gone and it is now ll is all shop.  Rain has gone and been replaced by sunshine all the way, lovely.

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »
The roadworks seem to have finished, although there is still some finishing off to do.  Re bar Platia, it is no longer there, last year the shop was divided between the bar and a tourist type shop, this year the bar has gone and it is now ll is all shop.  Rain has gone and been replaced by sunshine all the way, lovely.

Ah. Sad. We quite liked it there...

How is the parking? I seem to recall that was becoming an issue two years ago -- are they still being strict?

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »
 Good to get some up to date info.  I'm hoping to go again this year after a break of 3 years , sad to hear Les is no longer there though .

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »
We ate at Gorgona a couple of nights ago, inside for the first time because it was so windy, and although the roof was up outside, the side panels were not. Saw people working on this yesterday, though, the side panels were piled-up and ready to go. Hope to visit again before we leave.

Corali bar external section coming along slowly, but people working on it.

Still some road-works, some sort of cable is being laid between Lefkogia and Plakias, and I think that the sewage work may have reached Souda - just before the beach there is a large hole in the road.

Gio Ma, probably our favourite, now has a little more covered space, outside by the lobster tank, but otherwise no change.

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
Thanks - good to know!

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 07:56:36 PM »
Back at Gorgona this evening and it is nearly fully 'glazed' outside now

Food still lovely and plentiful, and same friendly welcome as always!

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »
Just checking on the rebuilds - is everything complete/up n running yet outside - or are some still incomplete? - 9 weeks to go!
Any new bars/restaurants to watch out for?
Daza

Offline mandmshow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »
This new bar (at least I think its new  - I hadn't been to Plakias in 2 years) is located next to Gioma.
I believe it is named after the trees that are next to the ocean.