login

Author Topic: Crete and light-pollution  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Crete and light-pollution
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:47:59 AM »
One of the reasons I love the S coast of Crete is the lovely dark skies. My geeky hobby is astronomy!

I've attached a light-pollution map of Crete, and a scale-bar. The higher the magnitude the darker the sky. As you can hopefully see, the N coast is awful but the S coast much better.

Although Plakias/Souda are just starting to register the sky is 'almost' pristine a couple of miles outside the area. I was a bit upset to be able to see Plakias at all, until I compared it to Weybridge, which is flood-lit by comparison!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:00:27 PM by Richard »

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crete and light-pollution
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:29:50 AM »
The best dark sky for star gazing is from a boat outside of Plakias, even going out ½ mile makes a big difference, virtually no light pollution, the only problem is you can’t use a telescope for obvious reasons, but I go out a lot at night fishing and some days I don’t know if to look down for the fish or up to the stars, the milky way and many constellations are nearly always on show, I can arrange boat trips for this if this is something anyone is interested in.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crete and light-pollution
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 12:07:38 AM »
Certainly am! I'll take you up if I can.

There in late Apr to look at an apartment, and take telescope etc before nights are too light in the summer months.

There are new binoculars that would be ideal, I think, sort of super opera glasses, very small and light-weight, about 2x magnification but gather lots of light too. Sitting on a boat with these sounds lovely...