login

Author Topic: Plakias 2008  (Read 6117 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »
In no particular order; just off the top of my head. I was there May 6-20.
  • Plakias has hardly changed in the two years since I was last there. Especially so the far end. Freddie still collects for the sunbeds (which don't seem to have increased in number) but there was no sign of the donut man (take your own extra vitameena then!).
  • I saw some, but not much, evidence of the summer 2006 fire.
  • Apollo Apts. and the Campsite show no sign of opening. Ariadne taverna is closed and also Mitos taverna, the latter owing to the recent sad death of the owner at a tragically early age. Lamon Hotel seems barely functioning.
  • There is activity at the new development (Health and Spa Centre near Palegremnos) but it is only on one building, being at the end nearest Palegremnos. I paced out the frontage of the whole site along the beach road and it is about 250 metres. It can't be seen from the far end and only very occasionally heard. Work on the new harbour can occasionally be heard across the bay from the far end.
  • The only tavernas approaching busy seemed to be Manoussos, Lysseos (always virtually full) and Mousses.
  • Prices in € (but sadly not in £) seemed little changed to me, the notable exception being petrol (ca. 1.35€ per litre for unleaded 95 octane). The strong € seems to have insulated them from some of the sharp increases we have seen in the UK (e.g. bread).
  • There was petrol strike for part of the time I was there which significantly inconvenienced those with hire cars. It is now over.  
  • It was good to see Ali and Dave again- still the only forum regulars who have had the dubious privilege of meeting me.
  • The Olympic rep, Edwina, is best described as the total opposite of Morven! Nuff said. For George's benefit the latter was in Plakias earlier in May (according to Ali) but has now returned to work in London.
  • Olympic transfers were the worst part of my holiday (2 hours 55 mins both times). I understand the need to drop other guest off in Bali and Rethymnon to save costs but why no toilet break? The arrangements for meeting guests at self catering accommodation in Plakias were poor (no rep on the coach). I shall be pointing out to Olympic how transfers could be improved at no extra cost.
  • The weather was not perfect, there being several cloudy days in my first week, with evenings really quite cold. By the end of my holiday the temperature was up to 30°C, as it had been, by all accounts, during the first few days of May. While I was there there was very little rain during the day and the weather was very suitable for long walks. From my personal perspective it was an ideal balance for spending some time walking and some on the beach. I never remember seeing some people wearing fleeces on some evenings in Plakias before.
  • Best buy, 1.5L. raki for 6€ from the Baradakis supermarket (on the right past Ostraco going west).
  • Heraklion airport wasn't too bad. Still one x-ray machine for hold luggage though but not a significant queue there.
  • There are now several buses a day to Rethymnon at sensible times. 4.00€ on the bus from Plakias and 3.90€ when you buy at Rethymnon bus station.
  • I was told that the taxi fare to Plakias is now 100€ but 80€ if booked from Plakias. I didn't see the sign at the airport giving taxis prices that was there in previous years.
For anyone who is interested I have written reviews in the Article System for Santa Maria studios/apartments and Mousses, Medousa, Sifi's, Souvlaki House, and Niko tavernas.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 02:24:43 PM by Mike G »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:08 AM »
'For George's benefit the latter was in Plakias earlier in May '

Bl***y typical of my luck that is  

'(Health and Spa Centre near Palegremnos)'

Where did that one come from? Is this part of the new complex Mike, first time I've heard of it?

george g...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:53:09 AM by George »

Daisy

Plakias 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:53:54 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to do that Mike, always interested to know how things are in Plakias after the first visitors of the year go.  I am curious which one is the Mitos Taverna I can't visulise it.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:05:19 PM »
Taxi  100 euro?  thats about £70 each way I think ! time for another job before August!

Barny
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:05:44 PM by Barny »
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 01:27:37 PM »
Quote from: Daisy
Thanks for taking the time to do that Mike, always interested to know how things are in Plakias after the first visitors of the year go.  I am curious which one is the Mitos Taverna I can't visulise it.
Hello Daisy,

If you walk 2-3 mins from the supermarket on the Lefkogia road it is just before the church. Apparently Mitos was only in his early 40s. Last Sunday was his memorial service at the church which was extremely well attended by the locals and resulted in the first traffic congestion I have seen in Plakias.

Mike

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 01:34:56 PM »
Quote from: Barny
Taxi  100 euro?  thats about £70 each way I think ! time for another job before August!

Barny
At 1.19€ to the £, which is what I received at Barclays before going, it is £84. Please bear in mind that this is just what I was told and I can't confirm that it is true. Maybe Ali can confirm it.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 01:44:23 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Quote from: Daisy
Hello Daisy,

If you walk 2-3 mins from the supermarket on the Lefkogia road it is just before the church. Apparently Mitos was only in his early 40s. Last Sunday was his memorial service at the church which was extremely well attended by the locals and resulted in the first traffic congestion I have seen in Plakias.

Mike
Is that the one with the restaurant Mike?

george g...

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »
I have just looked at Zac's website as he collects us from the airport. For 2008 it will be 85 Euro from the airport which is approx £71. I seem to recall we paid 75 or 80 Euro last year with a better exchange rate. Not cheap.

Susan

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 02:24:31 PM »
I shall be using Zach as usual as he does a good service, so if anyone is arriving on August 2nd at 04:00 we can taxi share.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:16:35 PM »
Efcharisto Mike for your report on Plakias 2008. Much appreciated!
You mention prices not having changed significantly, and quote the price of Raki, but is there any chance you can let this (old) boozer know the price of a bottle of Mythos in the tavernas, and the price of a Kilo of wine in the restaurants as well. I need to work out the budget in advance of my arrival in 12 days time - Woo-Hoo!
Thanks again, I hope it isn't too long before you get back to Plakias.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:42:40 PM by JBMouse »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »
Thanks for the update Mike. I think the increased prices will come as a bit of a shock when we visit in September but it will just be a case of 'biting the bullet'. The wine will Mythos will be enjoyed just as much this year as last ... and in the same quantities  .

Can't wait!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:28:43 PM by Graham_and_Karen »

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias 2008
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 12:52:03 PM »
Quote from: JBMouse
Efcharisto Mike for your report on Plakias 2008. Much appreciated!
You mention prices not having changed significantly, and quote the price of Raki, but is there any chance you can let this (old) boozer know the price of a bottle of Mythos in the tavernas, and the price of a Kilo of wine in the restaurants as well. I need to work out the budget in advance of my arrival in 12 days time - Woo-Hoo!
Thanks again, I hope it isn't too long before you get back to Plakias.
Hello JBMouse,

I didn't drink any Mythos in the tavernas (it was 0.85€ for 0.5L. in the main supermarket) but I think it was about 2.50€. It may have been more in the bars (I didn't do that either). A kilo of house red (ca. 1L.) in the tavernas I visited was 5.00€ normally and 2.50€ for half that.

Yes I intend to return next year and haven't decided between May and autumn. I'm off to one of my other favourites (Tingaki) in October.

Mike

Offline Dipper

• View Profile
Plakias 2008
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »
Quote from: Mike G
In no particular order; just off the top of my head. I was there May 6-20.
  • Plakias has hardly changed in the two years since I was last there. Especially so the far end. Freddie still collects for the sunbeds (which don't seem to have increased in number) but there was no sign of the <<list snipped|>>
Excellent ... very useful - and reassuring