login

Author Topic: Ok, 2021, lets go !!  (Read 15241 times)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ok, 2021, lets go !!
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2021, 08:33:54 PM »
We were in Plakias in September, having not been for two years and we were surprised at just how busy it was compared to 2019. Plakias is not the small village we first visited in 1995 and has now become a small resort. We always used to eat in the paligremnos at lunchtime and even that wasn?t up to its usual standard. The olives were so small in the Greek salary that there was no meat on them. At the start of the second week we had our usual saganaki and it had been deep fried rather than pan fried. It was so greasy we left it, not something we ever do 🤢
Sadly, we have taken the decision to not go back and now we just need to find something a bit smaller and not so busy. Any suggestions are very welcome 😕

I first went in 1995 also, and, having visited at least once a year since 2002, only really noticed the changes this year, somehow - changes were slow, nothing sudden, I suppose. The place ?felt different?, though, last year and this, and what stood out for me was that:

(i) it really isn?t ?the end of the road? any more - the tarmac road stopped just beyond what is now the harbour in ?95 (though it was clearly a work in progress), and I drove what felt like miles to the west, well beyond Souda, this year, to Rodakino and beyond

(ii) I felt that a general decision had been taken not to use even the basic Greek greetings and farewells in many the Tavernas, although perhaps that was just my experience. Maybe the arrival of the new hotel, if I?m correct?

(iii) the old Monastery above Souda, after a brief spell of rebuilding in ?07, was suddenly much more developed, not the ?hidden gem? I walked to many times

I wonder about Souda for next year. All it would need is a small shop to be self-contained, though I suppose that might be the beginning of the end there also!