Author Topic: Anyone there? Excited yet?  (Read 10500 times)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Anyone there? Excited yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »
I am hoping my Welsh windburn will be mistaken for a tan. No winter holiday this year to top up last summers tan.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Anyone there? Excited yet?
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 01:32:46 PM »
Some thoughts (in no particular order) about my recent trip with Olympic staying at Dora.

The second week of May was the quietest I have ever seen Plakias. At Dora only 4 out of the 9 units were occupied. It was full from 15/5.

There was no Olympic rep the first week of my stay although we were met by a visiting rep on arrival (and could choose which apartment to have).

The rep (Les, who did part of last year) arrived 15/5.

Mousses has now taken over the redundant Town Hall and is converting it to kitchens. It has also taken over part of Gorgona so Mousses is now 3 units wide and must be one of the largest tavernas in town. Their prices are essentially unchanged for at least the 3rd year and their house white and retsina are still much better than the red IMHO (2.50€ for half a litre)! Adonis, for many years the chef there, now seems to be the boss and there is a new chef.

There are sun beds at the far end and the guy running it (same as 2011) puts a few more out each day. By the second week of my holiday virtually all were taken on sunny days. Getting into the sea seemed even more difficult this year owing to the large number of large stones washed up by the winter storms. Donut man Mark 2 is there on sunny days.

The "new" development townside of Palegremnos seems virtually totally deserted.

Sergeo (at Mousses until 2010) is now at Korali.

All the seafront tavernas from Korali to Mousses have a full quota of set menus back.

As always I met so many people in town and on the beach whom I have met before.

Heraklion airport was the quietest I have ever seen it with no problems getting a seat in the departure lounge. As for the last 2 years the "duty free" shop was doing no trade at all. Whisky over 20€ a litre!

I was told by Denis and Chris and others that Babis and Despina have handed the running of Medousa over to their offspring. I just hope the offspring know which table to reserve for John R come the autumn.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:50:45 PM by Mike G »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »
I was told by Denis and Chris and others that Babis and Despina have handed the running of Medousa over to their offspring. I just hope the offspring know which table to reserve for John R come the autumn.

I already have them well trained :-))

John R

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 03:58:58 PM »
Last year Babis had all but dropped out with his eldest son taking over (brilliant he is too). Despina was still working over hard as usual and she certainly needs an overdue rest. Has she dropped out - if so who is her replacement - younger son or daughter ???

John R

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »
according to his face book status, Kostas is in Australia but knowing kostas I wouldn't take that at face value  ;D

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
Kosta is now doing the cooking at Medusa and the report I had two days ago from someone there was the the results were more than excellent.

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 10:08:40 AM »
Just returned from Plakias....had a wonderful 28 days staying at Kosta C ...first 2 weeks lovely & hot & then a tad cooler with a few showers that didn't last long. (Angelo arrived second week in May & in normal fine form)
Everything as beautiful as usual and prices very good, nothing seemed to have gone up, infact some things alot cheaper...this was good as exchange rate was around £1.22/23 even fuel was less than in October. Many taverna's have really good 'meal deals' & local produce as superb as usual.....Feta & Raki very good.!!!

We had a brilliant 'Sunday Arts & Crafts Day' at the library & bought some lovely items made by the local crafters.We had a very interesting breakfast there ...Mythos & Devonshire Pasty  :) (made by Eve) such a fantastic cook.....

The exciting news was that baby Freddy (Lewis) was born while we were there & they are all doing well.

We met up with Tom & John & it was fantastic to see Tom so well after his terrible illness & op last October. ( Bazucca Dog) was especially pleased to see him...Good Luck Tom !!!!!

We will be back mid August so for those of you going in June & July have a wonderful time.!!!!

Dave&Les  ;)

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
Thanks Dave and Les, we will :)
What is like at the far end this year? We missed Plakias last year but did hear a few reports about the sun beds being to close, and the naturists being pust out.
Davos
Smile you are in Plakias. :)

Offline Dave&Les

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
Hi Davos
the far end was very quiet...infact so was the resort....but the sunbeds were (maybe because it was start of season) fewer in number & close together as they were last year.
Most naturists were using the dunes.
There is a notice saying ' No Nude Bathing') outside the top Beach Bar (Paligremnos)
Anyway we're sure you will have a fantastic time.
Keep the beach warm for us...we will be staying at the Paligremnos in Aug/Sep.

Dave&Les :)

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »
Kosta is now doing the cooking at Medusa and the report I had two days ago from someone there was the the results were more than excellent.

excellent news John!

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »
ate at Medusa last night ! i was surprised to be told the mousaka had ran out !

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »
Hi Davos
the far end was very quiet...infact so was the resort....but the sunbeds were (maybe because it was start of season) fewer in number & close together as they were last year.
Most naturists were using the dunes.
There is a notice saying ' No Nude Bathing') outside the top Beach Bar (Paligremnos)
Anyway we're sure you will have a fantastic time.
Keep the beach warm for us...we will be staying at the Paligremnos in Aug/Sep.

Dave&Les :)

Hi Dave and Les -

Glad you had a good time.  We noticed the "no nude bathing" sign last year, but the far end was not affected. 

We are going in July so thought we would miss you, but we also couldn't keep away (or pass up a bargain) and will be there on 28 August for a week, so we can arrange to meet up then.  No doubt you will see us as we go for our early morning swim.

Arnaki

Offline Dave&Les

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »
Hi Arnaki

must admit didn't notice the notice (lol) last October but it may have been taken down then.

It will be great to catch up with you again!!!  ....we will be  there 12th Aug til 9th Sept...

Have a good time in July.

Dave&Les

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 09:52:44 PM »
Hi Arnaki.
Two of us from south Manchester, as far as I am awear we are the only two around here that know of Plakias. Roll on end of June and July.
Smile you are in Plakias. :)

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
So good - I've just booked September having returned home this Tuesday evening (Friday lunchtime at work now). This place is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S. (and worth the long bus journey!)