login

Author Topic: Taxis and return to Plakias  (Read 6798 times)

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
Taxis and return to Plakias
« on: April 30, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »
Hello fellow lovers of Plakias.
June the 10th is the date of my second visit to the lovely Plakias. On this visit, one day I would like to take a taxi to one of the other bays either side of Plakias for the day. Could anyone advise the best or appropriate method for the return trip? Would I phone a number or is there a rank/telephone box in Souda/Damnoni, or is it best to eat/drink at one of the tavernas and politely ask the staff to phone a taxi for me? My knowledge of the Greek language is near non-existent by the way.

I hope this post is not too trivial; I didn't get any Taxis last year but saw them waiting in the morning at the village seafront car park.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Taxis and return to Plakias
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 01:41:09 PM »
Dont be afraid to approach the taxi drivers on the sea front...they nearly all speak English and are extremely helpful. We have used them loads of times and they are good value for money too. Many of them take coffee in the Livikon Hotel so you can always check there too. For example, I wanted to go and see the new solar panels at Assomatos.....Georgia from the Livikon explained this to one of the drivers who was amazing - taking me up to the site and to various other installations (I work in low carbon energy issues in the UK). Getting a taxi to the beaches, to Mirthios, Sellia, Rethymnon, Spilli or Prevelli is not a problem. And there's always the taxi office of Taxis 4 U who are also helpful......and Takis Milonakis....one of the drivers I am friends with on Facebook. Give it a go and dont lose out by being shy ! Enjoy !

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:06:18 AM »
Agree with Jackie, the drivers in Plakias are really helpful.  We've taken taxis to the beach at Souda and arranged a time for him to come back and collect us from the tavern at the end of the road.  Sometimes its a different driver who comes back for you but they never let you down and you're on holiday so if they are a little late it isn't really a problem.  Take their phone no. with you and if change your mind or if you've finished your Mythos and fancy another one while waiting, just let them know.  We also use them to get up to the Vrissi restaurant and again, no problem with giving them a time to collect you or calling them.  Theirs is the first Plakias friendly face we see when getting picked up at the airport !

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 10:34:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I could get a taxi from the sea front. Then after a day at the beach, I could visit one of the tavernas and phone a taxi when ready. As I wouldn't know in the morning when I'd want to return later that day. I must check out where Taxis 4 U are?

Additionally, would the taxis drive to Ammoudaki or is it best to stop at Damnoni and walk around the cliff road/pass?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:47:20 PM by Andrew »

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »
It's up to you.....simply tell them where you want to go. You could go to Damnoni and then walk or they could drop you off at the beach. The only problem would be getting the taxi back if there is nowhere to ring from...but I have often found the mobile signals are better in Crete than they are here (and I live in the middle of a city !). Most of the tavernas will be able to ring a taxi for you....you just need to make sure you're near one as some of the beaches are just that........nothing but sand, cliffs and sea.....and sunshine....and relaxation....and...and. Hope you enjoy it however you get there. When you get to Plakias just ask where Taxis 4 U are based. I cant quite remember but it is down one of the side streets and they speak good English too. Enjoy.x

Offline Mr T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »
We've been many times, Infact we were only there in April and return for three weeks May 17th.
Taxis are easy.
Just get in one at the rank, go to where ever it is you want to, take a mobile and a card from the taxi driver just incase but we've never had to use our own phones as there's always a taverna that will call one for you.
It's usual to be a customer so order a drink each and relax.
Never had a problem.
We're renting a car for the whole three weeks as there's no transfer this year.
21 days hire for a small car £220.
About the same price of a return taxi from the airport.
Good luck and have a lovely holiday

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »
Thanks again all, seems like it will be best to get the taverna to ring as I will be requiring a cool beverage after the beach (and probably during lunch hehe). I think last year the bicycle hire was around E10 for the day so I could probably get the taxi and return for about that and not sweat as much cycling (phew in that warm weather). Does anyone know the one-way taxi price to Souda or Damnoni?

Anybody else going in the second week of June?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:44:48 AM by Andrew »

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 03:21:59 PM »
Unfortunately we've got to wait until Sept ..........and I', not sure of the prices but someone will know. Watch this space !

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »
Last year, if I recall I think the rep said it was around E5 to Souda Bay one way. Which if is the case then I think it is quite reasonable. And, again will stop me dehydrating to the point of near collapse on the bike returning from the two surrounding bays.

Offline Uli

• ICQ Messenger - 64646994
    • AOL Instant Messenger - UliBerlin
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
Got one driver's phonenumber here: +30 693 2281995 (Zacharias - he speaks good english)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
http://www.taxi4you.gr/

Had pleasant and interesting conversation with Zak from Heraklion - Plakias and return. Nice chap. Bang on time and would recommend on that basis. Do our own thing these days and better than the 'interesting' Olympic magical mystery tour

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 11:49:04 AM »
Thank you for the information kind people.....
Another reason for getting the taxis to nearby areas is that the resort does not offer competitive rates on mopeds/scooters and there are no quads available. I think a quad would be ideal for getting to the nearby beaches and the rough tracks around. Last year a rental company said that the cliff side roads were too dangerous for quads. I would have thought that a quad on four wheels would be the perfect solution (as they are in other rural/rustic resorts on the Greek Islands). One thing for sure is that the taxis will probably be the safest form of transport!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
Taxis and, then, two feet are the best option...nothing is too remote around Plakias. Quad bikes are fun but they re not covered on many holiday insurance deals (as they young lady in Zante found out) and, although the roads are in much better shape than they used to be, many of the off-road paths are simply that...paths. They are not built or designed for quad bikes. There is also the fact that they make so much noise and many would not welcome that. That's the reason why you seldom see jet skis in the bay - too much noise and pollution. The taxi drivers will do their very best to take you where you want to go....and it will be safe, relaxing and quick.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
Agreed, the taxis will be the best option for transport to the surrounding bays, but further afield really requires a hire car (I may do that for one day for an outing).

Quad bikes, yes noisy at times if they hang about, but I would say that they are ideal for the rough tracks in the area. It is up to the person renting to consider full insurance. I'm not even sure whether the hire companies offer the full insurance, but I am aware that the usual personal holiday insurance doesn't cover any accidents and such like.

Maybe the bicycles with a little battery motor might suffice for the surrounding hills (I haven't seen those for rent)?

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 09:23:15 PM »
On return (sunny weather every day for a week):
Taxis were E6 each way to either bays on each side of Plakias. They were quite prompt and were always organised by the tavernas that I was sat at.

I also noted jet skis in the bays on two days. And, there were electric bikes for hire but at a highish hire price of E28 per day. I would suggest making the price around E12 per day to make the bikes worth bothering with (but then again I am from Yorkshire hehe).