login

Author Topic: excess baggage charges  (Read 14618 times)

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
Anyone seen my luggage?
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 03:20:09 PM »
If your vest is in there Barny, it's probably where you left it!!  

george g...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:20:50 PM by George »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 03:24:58 PM »
George I think you envy my vest? and I must get last years sand out of the luggage I think that made it heavier.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »
I think I'm back with the holdall this year, I compared it with the case I took last year and it's so much lighter, and I can get more in on the way back!

Ok, I've started to think about packing, and I've still got two and a half months to go yet!!
Boy scout training, I reckon!

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 09:17:18 AM »
Quote from: George
I can't say I've ever drunk the tap water in any quantity, but do clean the pegs and use it in the kettle, and I've never had any problem.
The trouble with water in any different country is that it will have different bacteria in it to what you're used to and if you are subseptible, one might feel a little 'tummy trouble' for a couple of days until you're used to it. There's nothing 'wrong' with it!!

We're drifting off again here!!

george g...
If that is a concern then I can understand that some don't want to take a risk on holiday. The same applies to bottled water as well though, so to be logical you ought to boil everything. You also wouldn't eat taverna salads which will have been washed (hopefully) in tap water. The high acidity of your stomach can cope with most things.

Sorry, still a long way from excess baggage charges. Any response from the airport or carrier Chris?

Mike

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 09:41:20 AM »
Quote from: Mike G
I can't say I've ever drunk the tap water in any quantity, but do clean the pegs and use it in the kettle, and I've never had any problem.
The trouble with water in any different country is that it will have different bacteria in it to what you're used to and if you are subseptible, one might feel a little 'tummy trouble' for a couple of days until you're used to it. There's nothing 'wrong' with it!!

We're drifting off again here!!

george g...
If that is a concern then I can understand that some don't want to take a risk on holiday. The same applies to bottled water as well though, so to be logical you ought to boil everything. You also wouldn't eat taverna salads which will have been washed (hopefully) in tap water. The high acidity of your stomach can cope with most things.

Sorry, still a long way from excess baggage charges. Any response from the airport or carrier Chris?

Mike

I am assured that the post-pradial Raki that I drink will kill any beasties that I may have eaten!  :'(

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »
I can't say I've ever drunk the tap water in any quantity,

george g...

We drink the tap water in Plakias in vast quantities - we find it to be superb quality water and really enjoy it. (like the Raki too !!). At Medusa you will find us frequently leaving our table to top up our (water) glasses from the cooled supply (of water) that Babis has under his counter. After many years of this activity on our part he has at long last given up shouting to us "Hey - that is my job"

John R

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 11:42:19 AM »
Quote from: John R

george g...

We drink the tap water in Plakias in vast quantities - we find it to be superb quality water and really enjoy it. (like the Raki too !!). At Medusa you will find us frequently leaving our table to top up our (water) glasses from the cooled supply (of water) that Babis has under his counter. After many years of this activity on our part he has at long last given up shouting to us "Hey - that is my job"

John R

John. Are you sure that you're not topping up from his raki store!!!!
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 12:16:47 PM »

george g...

John R

Quite right John - the tap water in Plakias is of excellent quality and we have never had any tummy problems from it.  Babis does insist on supplying water by the glass - at all the other tavernas they will bring you a large jug if asked.  At Medusa you either have to catch Babis' eye or, as you do, self serve.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »
Quote from: Tony and Sandra Smith

george g...

After many years of this activity on our part he has at long last given up shouting to us "Hey - that is my job"

John R

John. Are you sure that you're not topping up from his raki store!!!!

I think he would do more than shout at me if that was the case  

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »
Yesterday we booked with Monarch for our usual 2 weeks in Tenerife in February.  Do you know that they have started to charge for ALL hold baggage now?  We had to pay (to get the best deal) in advance £5.99 EACH for both outward and return journeys.  Has anyone else come across this yet?  They do generously (?) allow 20 kgs. Another tax?
Yvonne

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »
Quote from: Yvonne
Yesterday we booked with Monarch for our usual 2 weeks in Tenerife in February.  Do you know that they have started to charge for ALL hold baggage now?  We had to pay (to get the best deal) in advance £5.99 EACH for both outward and return journeys.  Has anyone else come across this yet?  They do generously (?) allow 20 kgs. Another tax?
Yvonne

This is becoming fairly common place. Another way of raising cash to cover fuel charges. Easyjet have done it for a long time now.

Last week we flew with easyjet to Venice and find them excellent - have flown with them many times now. It is great to have no noisy entertainment and not to be pestered with food we didn't want. The hot bacon roll we chose was excellent and just what we needed. Leg room seemed good to us. Only £70 return as well - including taxes and baggage charge. The worst part was our return to Gatwick where the time from landing to  our luggage getting to the conveyor belt far exceeded anything we have ever experienced at Heraklion which we used to think was very slow. Not a particularly busy time either.

John R

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »
This is becoming fairly common place. Another way of raising cash to cover fuel charges. Easyjet have done it for a long time now.

Last week we flew with easyjet to Venice and find them excellent - have flown with them many times now. It is great to have no noisy entertainment and not to be pestered with food we didn't want. The hot bacon roll we chose was excellent and just what we needed. Leg room seemed good to us. Only £70 return as well - including taxes and baggage charge. The worst part was our return to Gatwick where the time from landing to  our luggage getting to the conveyor belt far exceeded anything we have ever experienced at Heraklion which we used to think was very slow. Not a particularly busy time either.

John R

We flew EasyJet for the first time when we went to Faro recently. It was better than I expected, the leg room was great but that maybe have been down to the standby plane we had (strange gettting on to a plain white plane with no livery). We were cursed with a screaming infant on the way out but can't blame EasyJet for that!
So we are feeling happier now as we are also using them to come out to Plakias in September.

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
excess baggage charges
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 11:43:02 AM »
Coming back last week 15.3Kg over, pleaded all inocent and was charged for 10kg at €11/kg =€110
I don't know  who decides on the rate/kg but it sure does seem to vary
John & john